Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    This year Im applying for History at Cam. But it will be a little bit unusual application cause I already have the results of my finals (Int. Bacc.) but I want to retake history and english (I scored 6/7). I'm aware of the fact that here at Cam they are expecting you to have the highest possible grades and mine are quite embarassing (esp. when I want to study history).
    Anyway, I just wanted to ask what should I write in my PS. Should I mention retakes and explain why I didnt get 7 originally? Should I pretend that Im on my gap year now, or is it better to say that I've started studying law 2 weeks ago (which will be the case in OCtober) but I dont like it?

I'm so confused. Any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kattrin)
    Hi there,
    This year Im applying for History at Cam. But it will be a little bit unusual application cause I already have the results of my finals (Int. Bacc.) but I want to retake history and english (I scored 6/7). I'm aware of the fact that here at Cam they are expecting you to have the highest possible grades and mine are quite embarassing (esp. when I want to study history).
    Anyway, I just wanted to ask what should I write in my PS. Should I mention retakes and explain why I didnt get 7 originally? Should I pretend that Im on my gap year now, or is it better to say that I've started studying law 2 weeks ago (which will be the case in OCtober) but I dont like it?

I'm so confused. Any help?
    I'm going to write a more detailed post later when I've got time, but basically don't lie on the application. If you're studying law now, tell them. Pretending won't help anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    As FTB says, don't lie - it only gets complicated, and is pointless.

A 6 isn't all that dire, though, so don't completely panic.

ReputationRep:
    thanks. im waiting for the post, you can send a private message if you want to. A 6 is not bad but I guess its not really a Cambridge standard, though.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a particular reason why you didn't get a 7? For example personal problems, or something like that? If so then you can mention it.

Yes, Cambridge to look at results, although they are one of the many factors that they consider. If there's a genuine reason why, then they will take it into consideration.

I'm trying to work out your situation as your first post is confusing. Are you retaking or have you retaken? Are you still studying law or have you given up on that?

ReputationRep:
    I had serious personal problems + I was too stressed I guess in a negative way. History was always my fav subject and I couldnt imagine actually not getting a 7 . But nothing health-related or smth soI cant confirm really.
    Im going to retake this May. Thats why I wonder should I mention this. No, I havent started studying law yet. If you believe me or not I started to regret that I didnt apply for history around April this year, a month before my finals. Im very determined to do so, even though I may happen to be more into law than I've ever thought.

I know its complicated, thats why I stopped to be able to take a reasonable decision on this long ago.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.