Turn on thread page Beta

Awkward silences watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I find these so annoying, I had such a situation today with someone and we just stood there for like 2 minutes thinking about what to say and I was totally relieved when my friend came running out of the blue and broke the silence. My mind just basically went as blank as a *****.

I dunno its stupid but does anyone have any way of dealing with such *******ly silences? or what to say?

Its soooo annoying!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, possibly leave the person your talking to go do something else? Guess it depends on the situation really...

ReputationRep:
    Just say purple monkey chicken blaster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettygreeneyes99)
    Hmm, possibly leave the person your talking to go do something else? Guess it depends on the situation really...
    Then whats the point of having the conversation in the first place you idiota, if your just gonna turn away and do a legger at the first awkward silence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeee)
    Then whats the point of having the conversation in the first place you idiota, if your just gonna turn away and do a legger at the first awkward silence.
    idiota? ... it depends on the situation, you didnt exactly give an example, if your on a date for example you're obviously not going to do that.. but if say you were chatting to someone at work, you could quite easily just leave the conversation and go do something else :rolleyes:

you poke the other person.

when they poke you back you poke them ad infinitum or until you spark out a conversation like "Ouch that really hurts!" "Oh sorry, I don't know my own strengh sometimes" "Haha, you muscly muscle McMuscle muscle" "Oi don't call me that, I do weights because they improve my mental strength" "Oh you do weights cool!" etc. :p:

I get this when talking to girls... can't avoid it!

ReputationRep:
    eat more cake!

ReputationRep:
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Props!

The conversation can't help but start when you draw something random from your pockets... e.g.
    "Oh, where did you get that signed picture of Bruce Forsythe from then?"
    "Funny you should ask.."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameiscal)

Props!

The conversation can't help but start when you draw something random from your pockets... e.g.
    "Funny you should ask.."
    :rofl: Brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameiscal)

Props!

"Funny you should ask.."
    lol that could work. Bruce Forsythe,

ReputationRep:
    Don't point out the awkward silence, which makes it even worse. You know when you've said something wrong/ stupid and there is that awful hollow silence - don't go "Weeeell this is awkward" unless you're with people who are a bit of a laugh and aren't the sensitive type.

Best way to combat awkward silences (self-imposed or not): Hum/ whistle/ sing a bit of a recent song. Then ask "Do you know who does this song? It's been really bugging me." Or "This has been in my head all day. Do you like it?" etc. Just don't choose a very odd song with lots of swearing/ taboo themes in it.

It generally works. Good luck! haha. xxx

ReputationRep:
    The silence is when the girl has accepted you as a mate and is waiting for you to mount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyHarry)
    The silence is when the girl has accepted you as a mate and is waiting for you to mount.
    Haha! Kudos for that comment my friend. Hilarious. xxx

ReputationRep:
    it takes exactly 7 seconds for a silence to become awkward apparently

...incase anyone was wondering

In response to the OP: simple answer, dont talk to people you dont know when youre sober

ReputationRep:
    I generally blurt out something like, "yeah, seems right," as if I've been thinking about the last thing that was said - pretending there was no silence at all...

If you're going to conjure a conversation piece from somewhere, do it quickly BEFORE there's a silence, otherwise it'll be obvious you're trying to break it, which is just as awkward-sounding!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyHarry)
    I have not laughed so hard at a forum post for a very long time. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever there's an awkward silence, just say "... so... awkward silences eh?"

Write it down people, this stuff is gold.

ReputationRep:
    if the person is a friend the silence shouldn't feel awkward but if it's a stranger....you should know never to talk to strangers!

ReputationRep:
    i'm sorry but the person you're talking to probably isn't going to mind you pointing out the awkwardness, most if not all times it's quite funny to point it out and is a conversation starter in itself, unless the event is strictly formal and you're not familiar with the person and/or the person is a lot older than you try something else, otherwise just point it out, wouldn't recommend said suggestion if person is older than about 50 unless they're family or already familiar to you, broke one of these silences when talking to a friend of my dad, ex-colonel to boot, and so he just didn't get me which made things more awkward, probably thought i was either rude or strange, probably both.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2007
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.