The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Omg, all the time there are awkward silences around me. :p: Whenever that happens, I always say random things. :biggrin: Most of the time I'm like "A gay baby was just born". I have no idea who started it, but 'they' always say when there's a awkward silence a gay baby was just born. It always seems to break the silence though. :smile:
Reply 21
"Ten ton polar bear!"
"What?"
"Well at least it breaks the ice...."
Reply 22
DirtyHarry
The silence is when the girl has accepted you as a mate and is waiting for you to mount.

Rofl, just awesome.
If they're with friends...it can be great fun. Silence can be comfy. They're only awkward if you are with strangers.
Reply 24
When you find yourself not talking... simply pull your jaw open, utter a word, any word, and they you are... conversation! It maybe about your pulling your jaw open, but hey... a conversation is a conversation :biggrin:
Reply 25
Reblet
Don't point out the awkward silence, which makes it even worse. You know when you've said something wrong/ stupid and there is that awful hollow silence - don't go "Weeeell this is awkward" unless you're with people who are a bit of a laugh and aren't the sensitive type.

Best way to combat awkward silences (self-imposed or not): Hum/ whistle/ sing a bit of a recent song. Then ask "Do you know who does this song? It's been really bugging me." Or "This has been in my head all day. Do you like it?" etc. Just don't choose a very odd song with lots of swearing/ taboo themes in it.

It generally works. Good luck! haha. xxx

Why have I never thought of doing that?? Genius :biggrin:

I tend to start talking mindlessly about incredibly random stuff in a very one sided conversation, which I'm sure isn't the best way to deal with it...
Reply 26
Say bingo bells are santa's weapons.
On a first date with a guy, there was an awkward silence so I said 'oohhhh awkward silence' to which he started freaking out! "What? you think there is an awkward silence!? why do you think this?? am i boring!? is that what you are saying!?" Well, it certainly did break the awkward silence that WAS there even though he disagreed.
Reply 28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me6Y16NpDug

at least you're not in that situation
Reply 29
point at something and shout.
Reply 30
mynameiscal
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Props!

The conversation can't help but start when you draw something random from your pockets... e.g.
"Oh, where did you get that signed picture of Bruce Forsythe from then?"
"Funny you should ask.."

Deliberately alienating one's friends strikes me as a somewhat drastic solution; especially if you're the sort of person who's apt to possess a 'signed picture of Bruce Forsythe' in the first place.

Latest

Trending

Trending