The Student Room Group

What are my chances of having HIV if he was positive?

In the early hours of Wednesday morning, I had drunken unprotected sex with a black African man. I was so drunk that I can't even remember what happened but all I remember is that he didn't wear a condom and I'm not sure how long/brief we had sex for but I vaguely remember him trying to do anal with me. I'm not sure if I let him or told him to stop but I wasn't sore the next day or anything.

I'm absolutely devastated that this has happened and that this one stupid and irresponsible mistake could have ruined my life (that's how I would feel if I was positive). I've never done anything like this before, and I know that it would be my own fault if I did have it.

He did not ejaculate inside me, and afterwards (stupid, I know) I asked him if he was "clean". He replied "of course I'm clean", which I know I can not rely on and that many people don't even know that they've got the virus :/ I'm absolutely terrified about this. I've read such scary statistics about the high risk of unprotected anal and also about how many black African men in the UK have HIV, though I read that only 2 . something % of black men with HIV are in Scotland. I'm hoping that the odds are in my favour and that he is negative and that I don't have it. Also that some countries in Africa have up to 40% of the population HIV positive :frown: I'm not sure which part of Africa he was from, anything about his sexual history, nothing.

I've literally been terrified to drink since this happened, and can't sleep or feel okay about this at all. I know that I can't get tested until 2-3 months after the potential exposure, but I am going to get tested for everything else next week.
If he was positive, how likely is it that I would be too following this one time encounter? :frown:
The chances are pretty low.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The fact that he didn't ejaculate will reduce the chance greatly, should he be HIV+ and not on treatment. (If he's not HIV+, the risk is obviously nil, and if he is but has been on treatment for at least six months, the risk also plummets to near zero.)

A modern blood test will give reliable results a month from the possible exposure you're concerned about.

If anything like this - unprotected sex with someone from a higher risk group / anal - happens again, you want to consider going to the nearest sexual health clinic or, out of hours, A&E and asking about 'PEP' - a month-long course of anti-HIV drugs that reduce the chance of becoming infected. As with the 'morning after pill', the sooner it's taken, the better and it's pointless after three days.
Original post by bits.of.bio
just fyi its PrEP if you're going to ask about it

No, it's PEP - post-exposure prophylaxis. PrEP is a different thing - pre-exposure prophylaxis, i.e you take it before having sex to reduce your risk of getting HIV.

(I know the thread is 3 years old, just posting in case someone comes across this and needs the info)

Quick Reply

Latest