Turn on thread page Beta

Applying for 2 courses at the same uni watch

ReputationRep:
    Last year my son (Matt!) applied for 2 different but v similar courses at Leeds uni - English/Philosophy and English/Roman Civilisation, both overseen by the centre for joint studies. He had offers for both - ABB for Eng/Phil and BBB for Eng/Rom Civ so he put ABB as firm and BBB as insurance (as he really liked Leeds). He got BBB and so got in for Eng/Rom Civ but you do 3 subjects in the 1st year so he could do Phil as well if he wants. He's on a gap year at the mo and off to Leeds this Sept.

Hope this is helpful

Hope you all get the results you're hoping for........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Thanks for all the replies, makes for interesting reading.

I was gonna appply for both pharmacy and neuroscience at Nottingham, but I decided that they aren't similar enough to be overlooked if spotted...

You'd think that universities would like the fact that you're using up two options for their university (although it doesnt show dedication to a particular course, it shows dedication to that uni/getting a degree)
    I think the only problem is when it comes to your personal statement- but otherwise its fine...if you can write a statement that applies to both subject then great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    From what I've read, it seems like it's a bad idea to apply for two different courses at the same university - but is it more acceptable if the courses are similar? For example: 'biomedical science' and 'medical biochemistry' - or will this harm the chances of getting into that uni/course?
    I applied for Classics and Neuroscience at Glasgow and was accepted for both, so its not a problem really.

ReputationRep:
    i put down my firm choice at leeds to do medical microbiology and my second to do microbiology, again at leeds, with both the same grades needed!
    i really do regret this now as im completely stuck if i dont get the grades.
    the reason for doing this was the fact that i completely feel in love with the place. when i had an interview they knew, obviously that i had applied for two courses and were fine about it-i explained to the inviewer that i really loved leeds and that i really really wanted to come there in september.
    so im hoping if i miss the grades slightly that they will see how dedicated i am to the university and that i just did badly in an exam!

good luck to everyone on thursday.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.