Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Having remembering the older (and better) Harry Potter books I don't understand how Nearly Headless Nick could have been harmed by the Basalisk (normal people died if they looked straight into its eyes - Nick sort of fainted). How would he be harmed if he's not even flesh? Even more confusingly, I seem to recall the victims being revived with juice from Mandrakes or something - how could Nick possibly take that?

ReputationRep:
    well if he wasn't petrified he wouldn't need the mandrake would he....

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah technically he should have been killed, but I would have thought that it would have no effect on him.

ReputationRep:
    He didn't faint he was still petrified-hence he couldn't tell everyone who his attacker was and if I remember correctly (not very fond of CoS) he changed colour. At his death day party they 'eat' food by floating through it, perhaps they just had to pass the mandrake juice through him to revive him.

ReputationRep:
    It didnt kill him cos he's already dead...

ReputationRep:
    ya...he is a ghost, so he's already dead

ReputationRep:
    I think the op is basically trying to ask why he was affected by the basilisk if already dead and also how the mandrakes were able to revive him if he cant eat.

I asked this in anther thread somewhere...its been annoying me for ages cos nobodys given an answer lol-maybe he became a black wisp becuase he was literally petrified, ie frightened, to "death" yet is already dead? i dunno lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penny_lane89)
    I think the op is basically trying to ask why he was affected by the basilisk if already dead and also how the mandrakes were able to revive him if he cant eat.

I asked this in anther thread somewhere...its been annoying me for ages cos nobodys given an answer lol-maybe he became a black wisp becuase he was literally petrified, ie frightened, to "death" yet is already dead? i dunno lol!
    He's just 'petrified' instead cos he cant die as hes already dead.

ReputationRep:
    Nearly headless nick is already dead, but hes still a spirit, free to roam around and interact with the living, who's to say that ghosts cant be petrified? If he can interact with the living, he can definitely interact with the basilisk. (Thats a fair point about the food, they can taste it if they walk through it, but wouldn't that also mean they can taste people and walls too?)

The mandrake potion was sprayed onto him, he was moved to the hospital wing with a giant fan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LorrieP)
    Nearly headless nick is already dead, but hes still a spirit, free to roam around and interact with the living, who's to say that ghosts cant be petrified? If he can interact with the living, he can definitely interact with the basilisk. (Thats a fair point about the food, they can taste it if they walk through it, but wouldn't that also mean they can taste people and walls too?)

The mandrake potion was sprayed onto him, he was moved to the hospital wing with a giant fan.
    What i ws trying to say
    Except i didnt know it was sprayed onto him?? where is this told?? in an interview i presume?

ReputationRep:
    mhmm, i read it somewhere from my extensive research into harry potter (not that im a freak, i just like it and did my A2 level media coursework on it) ha

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.