Turn on thread page Beta

Im nasty, spoilt and childish but its my personality and I can't help the way I feel about situations. Im 21 and just been shopping with my mum and nan and my mum bought me a new matress as I said my other one was dirty. We got home and they both started talking about how dirty my room was even though I clean it regular and my nan said that there was dirt in when she stopped over when everyone else went on holiday. I said 'how do you know she said cause when I opened your bedromm door it caught your wardrobe which moved and I saw it all underneath. I said fair enough and then she said she slept in my bed because the pillows in my parents room were too hard but 2 weeks ago she said that she never slept in my room but slept in my parents room. I said 'not that im bothered but why did you lie' she shouted ' because you'd grumble'. I just hated the fact that she lied and my mum and I just started shouting at each other and when I went upstairs heard my mum say 'don't let her know anything as shes lost it in the head'.

After hearing that I got really annoyed and upset over well nothing I don't know what :confused: Im just like a little kid, then my mum started saying 'see this is whats shes really like you don't know her at all'.

The thing is im always the one who goes talking to my nan everyday (who lives a few houses away) my mum hardly visits yet has got my nan saying she doesn't want anything to do with me again.

How can I just not be bothered instead of getting upset over stupid things?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Stupid things? I'd be upset if people were sleeping in my bed and lying to me about it. But would you have grumbled if she'd told you the truth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Im nasty, spoilt and childish but its my personality and I can't help the way I feel about situations. Im 21 and just been shopping with my mum and nan and my mum bought me a new matress as I said my other one was dirty. We got home and they both started talking about how dirty my room was even though I clean it regular and my nan said that there was dirt in when she stopped over when everyone else went on holiday. I said 'how do you know she said cause when I opened your bedromm door it caught your wardrobe which moved and I saw it all underneath. I said fair enough and then she said she slept in my bed because the pillows in my parents room were too hard but 2 weeks ago she said that she never slept in my room but slept in my parents room. I said 'not that im bothered but why did you lie' she shouted ' because you'd grumble'. I just hated the fact that she lied and my mum and I just started shouting at each other and when I went upstairs heard my mum say 'don't let her know anything as shes lost it in the head'.

After hearing that I got really annoyed and upset over well nothing I don't know what :confused: Im just like a little kid, then my mum started saying 'see this is whats shes really like you don't know her at all'.

The thing is im always the one who goes talking to my nan everyday (who lives a few houses away) my mum hardly visits yet has got my nan saying she doesn't want anything to do with me again.

How can I just not be bothered instead of getting upset over stupid things?
    Moving out maybe a solution?

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    when people sleep in my bed without asking I get annoyed so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

If you're really worried about being nasty, spoilt and childish then why not take a step back when something happens and think is this a rational way to react to this situation? I think these are traits that you can change if you really wanted to.

Oh and don't worry about the comments your mum made try to shrug them off and not let them get to you

ReputationRep:
    I think your reaction was pretty reasonable.

(Original post by generalebriety)
    Stupid things? I'd be upset if people were sleeping in my bed and lying to me about it. But would you have grumbled if she'd told you the truth?
    I would have been a bit uh oh there are private things on my desk etc lol and my nan is nosy, I wish I could have tidied my room or moved things before I went ready for her sleeping in my room but either way, I wouldn't have liked it unless she had have asked before I went away. Being an only child all my life I guess im just naturally selfish and spoilt.

ReputationRep:
    You're reaction here wasn't that unreasonable, though maybe at 21 you could have silently *****ed just to avoid the drama of a fight (a skill I am working on but have yet to master completely!) but if you are unhappy with your own behaviour, which it sounds like you are else why would you be on here saying "why am I so..." you have to stop making excuses for yourself. Saying it's just the way you are or it is because you are an only child means you will never do anything about it, you need to (as someone has said) take a step back, and think about what would be a more reasonable way to behave or what kind of behaviour you would prefer to present to people. It's not easy, but just taking a moment to calm before you speak does help you control your reactions to things and keep your temper down.

(Original post by lea164)
    when people sleep in my bed without asking I get annoyed so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

If you're really worried about being nasty, spoilt and childish then why not take a step back when something happens and think is this a rational way to react to this situation? I think these are traits that you can change if you really wanted to.

Oh and don't worry about the comments your mum made try to shrug them off and not let them get to you
    Sorry corrected, she said she actually slept ON TOP of my bed for 4 nights, not under the sheets. If I remember right Who knows though she could still be lying :p: Anyway yea thats a good idea, as soon as she told me I said to my mum 'im really mad I don't know why' and she just laughed saying don't go on at me and then turned to my nan saying 'see what shes like'. I just got really mad, walked upstairs the when I heard my mum say Id lost it came back down yelling and my nan was disgusted.

My mum then walked her home telling her that this is what im really like etc and that she shouldn't tell me anything in future beccause of how I react. I then thought of all the poor starving people who don't even have any bed to sleep in and feel guilty. Though im still annoyed.

I'l try to change the way I am, the only way is to repress anger really.

ReputationRep:

OR release it in a less dramatic way - when I get angry I do situps - not only does it get rid of that frustrated tense feeling, but it's working wonders for my abs!

(Original post by History_is...)
    You're reaction here wasn't that unreasonable, though maybe at 21 you could have silently *****ed just to avoid the drama of a fight (a skill I am working on but have yet to master completely!) but if you are unhappy with your own behaviour, which it sounds like you are else why would you be on here saying "why am I so..." you have to stop making excuses for yourself. Saying it's just the way you are or it is because you are an only child means you will never do anything about it, you need to (as someone has said) take a step back, and think about what would be a more reasonable way to behave or what kind of behaviour you would prefer to present to people. It's not easy, but just taking a moment to calm before you speak does help you control your reactions to things and keep your temper down.
    well most of my family admit how nasty I am, im one of the quietes people you could meet but if something annoys me or I get called sometimes I will do what I can to get revenge. How could I have silently *****ed?

Its just petty things seem to wind me up which would not wind others up.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry corrected, she said she actually slept ON TOP of my bed for 4 nights, not under the sheets. If I remember right Who knows though she could still be lying :p: Anyway yea thats a good idea, as soon as she told me I said to my mum 'im really mad I don't know why' and she just laughed saying don't go on at me and then turned to my nan saying 'see what shes like'. I just got really mad, walked upstairs the when I heard my mum say Id lost it came back down yelling and my nan was disgusted.

My mum then walked her home telling her that this is what im really like etc and that she shouldn't tell me anything in future beccause of how I react. I then thought of all the poor starving people who don't even have any bed to sleep in and feel guilty. Though im still annoyed.

Thats probably the best way to deal with it- remove yourself from the situation. or try different ways to vent your anger. you could keep a diary and just write in it when you feel yourself getting angry or something. or have a programme or film you can put on that will distract yourself from the anger.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you're being nasty I think your Mum is being a bit of a ****ing ***** to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    put the cake down, too much cake!

ReputationRep:
    I'm like this actually. I can be really spoilt and selfish and I've actually got worse as the years have gone on! I try and improve but after a while I slip back into how I was before. I do think it has a lot to do with being an only child.

ReputationRep:
    You're not nasty, you wouldn't care about or question your behaviour if you were. Everyone acts like more of a brat to their parents; they expect you to behave like the 5 year old you once were, that expectation is blatantly obvious in the way they treat you, and you act accordingly. There is nothing more likely to induce a massive fit of rage in me than having one of my parents roll their eyes or act all weary and martyred over my "bratty child" behaviour, and then of course, by throwing a tantrum, I prove their point. Don't worry about it, just remember to breathe :-D

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.