Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was at work today, in the tea room at dinner time. Everyone was just having their dinner as normal until suddenly, the vending machine started dishing out 7 ups. So after a cheer of "wheeeeeeeeey!!!!" everyone started crowding round and grabbing cans to have with their dinner and putting some in the staff fridge. It was brill.:cool:
    We spent the rest of our dinner time discussing "7 up contests", seeing how much people could drink etc. Now we've got a fridge full of the stuff so no doubt we'll all have some more free cans tomorrow (unless the pop man finds out).
    Some of us managed to bag some cans to take home. :sly:

What are your views on taking from generous vending machines?
    Is it theft? Is this just the sort of thing that people selling a product via a machine just have to live with (one of the risks of doing so)?

ReputationRep:
    Its clearly and act of God, and so should be appreciated :P
    I once got £2.50 change from a machine when I should only have had 10p, oh well

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to sounds like a spoil-sport but I think it is theft and someone should have phoned the company to inform them of the problem. If there's no way of returning the items that is one thing but here I'm guessing there was.

ReputationRep:
    It's an interesting discussion... I think you've had your fun now and should alert the company before they lose lots of money.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend once got too much change from a vending machine but to be honest the number of times I've had money taken from me by vending machines I'm not bothered.

ReputationRep:
    Somehting similar happened a few years ago. I was workinga really crappy job, everyone hated it, everyone hated the bosses, and the vending machine in the staff machine malfunctioned, and would give away free stuff if you tapped in the code for it.

It got emptied, and I feel that was completely OK.

ReputationRep:
    When I was 15 or 16, there was a Marina being built in my village. Early that summer, my friend and I went along to have a look and found a portacabin office, apparently the office for 'boat sales', which was completely empty. There were two rooms, a large waiting room, and the main office; and the front door was open, so we went in to explore.
    There was a vending machine in there and we tried it out and got free food and drink from it that day, tried again the next and it was the same.
    We spent the whole summer down in that cabin, just sitting on the sofas and getting the free food and drinks from the machine (which someone kept topping up - no idea why, since they obviously weren't getting any money from it), and the office stayed completely empty every day.
    It was great.

ReputationRep:
    Vending machines stock crap anyways.

ReputationRep:
    I love it when I get 2 for the price of 1 in the sweet venders.

It's karma manifesting itself. All good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wesetters)
    I always check the change slots in the machines in the metro - people tend to forget to pick up their coins when the train gets into the station
    *cough* tramp *cough*

ReputationRep:
    'course it's theft. I never said I wasn't above a bit of thieving now and again though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robob)
    *cough* tramp *cough*
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Fishfinger Sandwich)
    I was at work today, in the tea room at dinner time. Everyone was just having their dinner as normal until suddenly, the vending machine started dishing out 7 ups. So after a cheer of "wheeeeeeeeey!!!!" everyone started crowding round and grabbing cans to have with their dinner and putting some in the staff fridge. It was brill.:cool:
    We spent the rest of our dinner time discussing "7 up contests", seeing how much people could drink etc. Now we've got a fridge full of the stuff so no doubt we'll all have some more free cans tomorrow (unless the pop man finds out).
    Some of us managed to bag some cans to take home. :sly:

What are your views on taking from generous vending machines?
    Is it theft? Is this sort of thing just something that people selling a product via a machine just have to live with (one of the risks of doing so)?
    It doesn't really matter as more often than not, the vending machines tend to rip people off, not vice-versa...

Like the ones at college. Such as when you put the money in and the vending machines don't aknowledge this. Or those machines which make the item move, but don't dispense it. Or the ones which give items where the packaging has been ripped/opened in some way, hence unedible. I could go on. Grrr...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The One and Only Lady Jennington)
    My boyfriend once got too much change from a vending machine but to be honest the number of times I've had money taken from me by vending machines I'm not bothered.
    that's so true, they can be dirty little thieves sometimes

ReputationRep:
    Makes up for the times that you lose money in the damn things I suppose?

I'm a man of morals. But I think as a one-off that was not a "bad" thing.

ReputationRep:
    What pisses me off about vending machines is when my food doesn't come out as it gets stuck on the twirly metal bit. Dammit. And I don't bother shaking the machine either.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and I'm the type of person that visits the machine after you and gets your food as well as my own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wesetters)
    Oi ! :hmmm:

Just because I'm skint...
    :p:

Sorry :angel:

ReputationRep:
    I was not initially convinced that it is necessarily illegal to take the soft drink in those circumstances as it is a different buying process from entering a shop and paying money to a shopkeeper andi f the vending machine has not been tampered with by someone and if there is no visible sign on the machine stating that they consider it theft to take any soft drink without payment, I thought, playing devil's advocate, that you could consider the '50p' sign or whatever they put on the machine to be nothing more than the USUAL mechanical means necessary to release the soft drink, not a legally binding contract.

However, as the vending machine is always on private property (works premise etc) then any lost items, which the cans would have become, would be the company's property unless claimed by their rightful owner.

So, on those grounds, no cans should have been taken and it should have been reported to the company. But who am I to lecture when. like many, I have benfitted from vending machines giving 2 chocolate bars out instead of 1, which is not that different!

If a slot machine started paying out more money that it should or a vending machine gave out more change, fewer people would probably feel guilty about keeping it, rightly or wrongly.

If you found a can of soft drink in the middle of the street, it could be a different case as the police would not expect anyone to hand in anything of such low value- however whether you want to drink a can that had been found in the middle of the street is another case.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.