Mrs. Brown
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
MEDICAL:
It's practically like pathogens, They get inside. Some live fine, Some bring mild illness and that 1 vicious pathogen brings Death.

POLITICAL:
We let them in, Some live fine, Some spread hate and bad agendas, and then there's the vicious ones that bring death to the people.
Saba XD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So, doesn't that apply to everyone in general? Not just to do with immigration.

Inb4: You're a SJW.

:rolleyes:
Mrs. Brown
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saba XD)
So, doesn't that apply to everyone in general? Not, just to do with immigration.

Inb4: SJW.

Possibly but you would not have to let them in as they are born here and so it's a local problem not a foreign problem.
Saba XD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mrs. Brown)
Possibly but you would not have to let them in as they are born here and so it's a local problem not a foreign problem.
So, somehow, it being a 'foreign problem' is much worse than it being a 'local problem'?
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So, doesn't that apply to everyone in general? Not just to do with immigration.

Inb4: You're a SJW.

What does SJW mean?
Mrs. Brown
Rep:
?
So, somehow, it being a 'foreign problem' is much worse than it being a 'local problem'?
Foreign Problems have a lot less known about them, What they have been doing back home, Were they in some gang?

Local Problems have been in the country far longer, There will be more data available about there history to work out if there is a risk of problems.
sleepysnooze
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
mass immigration of muslims = more terrorism
gradual and small rates of immigration of muslims = much less of a social problem, if one at all

in terms of immigration and integration, think of it like chemistry and the importance of surface area to volume ratios: if you have substances with high surface area to volume ratios, there is a larger area for reactions to occur for that entity and the volume within that substance can all be targeted at once because atoms of that volume aren't essentially "queuing up" behind one another waiting to take part in the reaction. for example, lots of monomers will react quicker than fewer polymers even the number of each atom is present in both cases. this is exactly like immigration.

if you introduce a few immigrants into a new country at a time, they will integrate, because they as a group have a "higher surface area to volume ratio" when they're not a part of a big crowd. however, if you have *mass* immigration, there is a smaller surface area to volume ratio, so to speak, because they all bundle together in their own isolated communities where the exposure to the outside is smaller or less necessary. therefore, the muslims in the centre (most of them) will be indoctrinated with islamic values while the ones at the periphery (the vast minority) will be exposed to western influences. the ones in the centre aren't a part of the surface area that is exposed to the "reaction" to the western influence, so they will be more likely to have middle eastern values (and that's whether they're first gen. or second gen. immigrants) and hence be more "extreme". that's either in terms of issues like their homophobia and misogyny but also their readiness to be violent for their religion in that their religious identity is fundamentally at odds with their paper-thin national identity.

you might think I'd odd for comparing muslim integration (or a lack of it) to chemical reactions, but it makes my point very well. interactions between social groups is very similar to interactions between chemical substances. the same rough principles apply.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
MEDICAL:
It's practically like pathogens, They get inside. Some live fine, Some bring mild illness and that 1 vicious pathogen brings Death.

POLITICAL:
We let them in, Some live fine, Some spread hate and bad agendas, and then there's the vicious ones that bring death to the people.
Your analogy is unhelpful and clumsy. You should have just talked about immigration in general.

I note you dont mention any positives.

What about where you catch it as a result of going to a foreign country when you werent asked?

Have you or will you ever travel abroad? If so wont you be viewed as a disease and toxic as well for however brief a period?
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yer a feckin' eejit, mammy.
Mrs. Brown
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Your analogy is unhelpful and clumsy. You should have just talked about immigration in general.

I note you dont mention any positives.

What about where you catch it as a result of going to a foreign country when you werent asked?

Have you or will you ever travel abroad? If so wont you be viewed as a disease and toxic as well for however brief a period?
Tourism is a different thing to Immigration....

I never been abroad because I don't care about all these other feckin weird nations!

Sure immigration can have positives such as filling jobs that we can't fill with the skills here but are we better safe and closed or weak and open?
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
Tourism is a different thing to Immigration....

I never been abroad because I don't care about all these other feckin weird nations!

Sure immigration can have positives such as filling jobs that we can't fill with the skills here but are we better safe and closed or weak and open?
All seems like the same pathogen to me. People moving from one country to another and mixing with the locals.

So really you have never been aborad and intend to remain in the UK all your life. Poor you. You sound very xenophobic.

Please keep to your analogy. You called them a pathogen. You do realise we are experiencing a wave of allergies that used to affect very few? This is down to living hermetically sealked in out air conditioned homes and never getting used to the rough and tumble of outside. Bacteria and building up an immuniyu to them can amke us stronger. That is much better than trying never to get exposed at all and pretending these things dont exist.

If you want to be safe and closed, then we should stop interacting with other cuntries, stop employing people from abroad, prevent everyone from traveling and trading with them. It will make you safe .

Do you ever eat foreign food?
Have you ever used goods made from abroad?
Have you ever talked to or been friends with someone from a doreign country?
jambojim97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
MEDICAL:

POLITICAL:
What an absolutely ridiculous analogy! (for reasons already explained)
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
Btw could you stop with the analogies unless they make things clearer. The ones used so far do not. If you wnat to diss immigration, then fine, but call it what it is.
EC
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
" European migrants to the UK are not a drain on Britain’s finances and pay out far more in taxes than they receive in state benefits, anew study has revealed.

The research by two leading migration economists at University College also reveals that Britain is uniquely successful, even more than Germany, in attracting the most highly skilled and highly educated migrants in Europe.

The UK would have had to spend £6.8bn on education to build up the same level of “human capital”.
The study shows that not only are European migrants more highly educated than the UK-born workforce but they are less likely to be in receipt of state benefits – 43% less likely among migrants in the past decade – and more likely to be in employment. They are 7% less likely to live in social housing.

An influx of people entering the UK can lead to an increase in aggregate demand and total spending within the economy. Not only do immigrants increase the supply of labour, they can also boost the need for labour and as a result job opportunities can rise. "
WonderboyStephen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
is this a joke?
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
Where does your 65% projection come from? is that in real terms or does it include inflation?
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
So you just made it up and its your opinion?

The UK is reliant on imports. Just because we leave the EU doesnt mean that will change.

You alos need to remember that a fall in currency also makes things like raw materials more expensive and other imports will increase inflation.
WonderboyStephen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hyperbole is an understatement, considering UK would need to increase exports by 400% to match China, not 65%.

I see a lot of confidence. Please, make me see your point of view and give me an answer to the following.

First, why would export rise by 65% when we are losing our main trading partners? Theresa May has made it clear over and over that she will not compromise on immigration, and the EU government has made it crystal clear that there is no free movement of capital without labour. So that means it will almost certainly be a hard brexit. And it is absolutely in favour of EU to give UK a hard Brexit, in order to ensure the eurosceptics in their country see the consequences of their movement.

Second, trade with which new country is going to compensate for the loss of trade with EU? Isolationist USA? China? India? The latter two of which are completely bent on pressuring May to ensure the student immigration rates do not drop. Something which needs to drop if we hope to reach our net migration targets. Their governments have also categorically stated that UK's trade potential is based on the gateway role it provided in entering the EU markets. This, compounded with the fact that we lost access to the great trade deals EU had struck with Japan and Korea.

Third, what are these industries springing up and what would make UK such a hot destination to do business in and make it an exporting hub? Our budget is shrinking. There will be no new infrastructure spending. No expansion of tax base as people have become poorer.

Every country we go looking for a trade deal knows these facts and they know our desperate situation. I would love to see how we negotiate favourable trade deals with the cards we are dealt with.

Mate, I want to sympathize with the controlled immigration sentiment that Brexit voters have. But I haven't found a single economic justification for this move.
Full disclosure: I am an economist.
WonderboyStephen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is what our fate ultimately boils down to, doesn't it?

Marine Le Pen winning in France and breaking up the EU so we don't have to negotiate against a collective, and Donald Trump's promises.

Now this isn't beyond the realm of possibility, but I hope you realise what a massive gamble it is. The French electoral system almost ensures that a party like the Front National does not come to power, and their republicans have elected an anti-immigration but pro-EU candidate in Francois Filon. The favourite to win. His election will not make our negotiations any easier. And even if by some miracle Le Pen pulls off the impossible, it is almost beyond the realm of possibility that her ministers will be able to take the French parliament making her a toothless president.

So ultimately, we are left with Donald Trump and his trade policy to compensate our losses. Wow. I am breaking in a cold sweat writing this.
username1799249
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What has Farage got to do with anything. He is an MEP for an organisation he deslises and former leader of a party that has only one MP in our parliament. And yet you suggest he is a diplomatic force for good. Why not get Katie Hopkins and other purveyor of hate involved?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (450)
14.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (424)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.61%
Financial worries (111)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.4%

Watched Threads