The Student Room Group

Exams and holiday problems!

Hi, I have to sit my a-levels next summer. My parents have proposed that we leave for a three week long holiday as soon as the exams are over. I have a problem in that a) I wanted to find work experience and b) I have some anxiety about taking a holiday before my results day. The last time we took a holiday this long, it was my GCSEs and when I got back, to my shock, I didn't do as well as I had hoped. It wasn't exactly disastrous looking back on it, but I was horrified I didn't manage all A*s. Last year we took only a short holiday after my results and I was happy with this because of the fact that my results were what I wanted and since then, I have this superstition that if I go on a holiday beforehand, I will do badly.It's not just this, but it seems pointless to me to go before because the whole time, I will now spend it worrying about my results. My parents are very angry with me for even suggesting that we don't go and think I am being stupid, selfish etc. It is plausible I could stay at home but my parents hate this idea too.
Just go, what's done is done by that point, and there's nothing to add to university applications unless you've planned to apply post-results.

Honestly, it's a long time to wait and it'll do you good to get away and forget about it for a bit. I went away for the two weeks before results day, coming back only a few days before and it was the best thing as I could just forget about it, else nerves would have got to me way earlier than they did.
Another vote for go. How would your GCSE results have been affected if you hadn't gone on holiday. If you flunk your A levels it matters not a jot if you are on holiday or not before you find out.
Hey, dont worry about! Superstitions are just that, superstitions! And it's true, you going on holiday won't affect your grades, they're determined by your academic studies right now, not whether or not you go on holiday after exams. Be happy about it, you're parents will be treating you after working really hard, so make the most of it cuz you won't get this time again. I say go for it, just have an awesome holiday and try not to think about your exams ( when the time comes ).
goooo

you can't change your exam results, you may as well distract yourself as you'll be worried either way
Original post by ByEeek
Another vote for go. How would your GCSE results have been affected if you hadn't gone on holiday. If you flunk your A levels it matters not a jot if you are on holiday or not before you find out.

There was no problem due to teh holiday although after the holiday i found out how ill i had been during my exam period which might explain the not all A*s situation. But now, i have this superstition that it will be bad luck.
Original post by HistoryWhiz6
There was no problem due to teh holiday although after the holiday i found out how ill i had been during my exam period which might explain the not all A*s situation. But now, i have this superstition that it will be bad luck.

I'm sorry to hear that. But hopefully you'll be okay during your exam period this year 😊 plus that happened during your exams, not as a result of going on holiday. It's different if you go on holiday during easter, right before your exams. But just go for it lad!
Original post by PocketSized
I'm sorry to hear that. But hopefully you'll be okay during your exam period this year 😊 plus that happened during your exams, not as a result of going on holiday. It's different if you go on holiday during easter, right before your exams. But just go for it lad!

Jesus, i hope so! I have a lot resting on this

I'm rooting for you! 👍

Go - you won't have time after results. You might need to go through clearing or adjustment and you'll need to get stuff ready for uni. You might even have prep reading to do.

Just tell yourself that superstitions are rollocks (which they are) and get on with your life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending