Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Got a new job starting soon which involves about 15 miles of driving each way - not so bad but traffic will be!

I am considering a scooter because my car drinks fuel.

Not quite where sure where to start tho. I dont want to take expensive lessons, nor do I wnat an expensive/fast bike.

I take it I will need a 50CC Scooter to start with - can you take these on the motorway and what sort of speeds can they go to?

If not, what kind of size/cost will I be looking at to get soemhting that can hit 70-80 on the motorways?

Also what kind of protection should you wear aside from a helmet? leathers is enough to put me off because of all the hassle :rolleyes:

Also I have read that because I am a car driver I can automatically drive 125c isntead of 50cc to start with..

ReputationRep:
    Scooters are gay. FACT. surely the fuel savings are offset by the cost of the scooter?? Not sure they will do 70/80 - never seen one over 50 MPH.

ReputationRep:
    i think i need to go up a few sizes over a normal scooter - basically to a full motorbike.

Looks like it might be tiem to trade in the car!

ReputationRep:
    When people were getting 50cc scooters at 16, they were all restricted to 40mph I think, although unrestricted some are capable of touching 70 at a push (if you're buying new and good quality, with performance modifications!). EDIT: It would probably travel comfortably at 50-60 with the mods, but you won't get much past 50 without.

ReputationRep:
    think i'll just stick to a car..i really dont want the hassle of a new car ATM!

ReputationRep:
    Well i could get 80 to 90 out of my scooter. Or any scooter i get on come to that.

It all depends on how you drive it, like if you know how to take bends and pull away from lights etc.....

125cc's have got to be loved, they are fantastic machines love them to bits

Cheers guys

Computwiz

ReputationRep:
    I just got a 125cc motorbike, you can ride this on L plates after a 1 day course and it's lovely (£130 for course)

MIGHT be able to get up to 70mph on the flat if I go flat out. But I am very light.

Sell your car!

ReputationRep:
    I advice 125cc, it's illegal to take a 50cc on a motorway. you will also have to take a full bike/scooter licence because it is also illegal to ride on a motorbike with L plates

ReputationRep:
    I advice 125cc, it's illegal to take a 50cc on a motorway. you will also have to take a full bike/scooter licence because it is also illegal to ride on a motorbike with L plates

No it really isn't

ReputationRep:
    Might be to ride on the motorway with L plates?

Don't know... not interested in bikes so never bothered to investigate.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 18, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.