Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, do you mean when you get those hang nail thingys? I used to get them until I started using this cuticle oil, now havent had any for months!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, join the club. Bad habit and I don't even realise I'm doing it. I just do it when I'm bored, i have yet to find a cure unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    I do it when I'm nervous or there are awkward silences and stuff, I know exactly what you mean.... good luck giving it up, i'm failing! Although sometimes instead, I wear nail polish and chip that off instead, it looks nasty but hurts a lot less...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkly*)
    I really can't help constantly picking the skin around my nails, even though I know I'm just going to make it bleed and hurt a lot. It's like a papercut, something so small hurts more than you can imagine. I currently have plasters on 3 of my fingers on one hand
    But anyway, does anyone else do this? And if so do you know why and how to stop doing it!? :rolleyes:
    yeah I do it all the time, just because... I don't know, something to do, a bad habit without even thinking. Supposedly it can get all nasty and infected if you aren't careful, but I can't say as I really try to stop doing it.

ReputationRep:
    i bite them off but i dont ever make them bleed

ReputationRep:
    I used to do it all the time, and then one got infected. Nothing bad, and cleared up fine, but it put me off doing it for a while.

ReputationRep:
    Alot of people I know does it. It's a really nasty habit.

ReputationRep:
    My friend does it when she's feeling shy or nervous. I usually pat her hand to make her aware of it, but she hasn't managed to stop yet. One time she used that horrible tasting nail polish stuff, because she tends to bite the skin off too. Unfortunately, this resulted in me having to pull over with her in the car so she could spew bright orange liquid everywhere. :|

ReputationRep:
    Start using a really good hand and nail moisturizer to start reparing the skin. As for quiting, try wearing a bracelt with charms or something on, something you can fiddle with when you feel nervouse/shy/whatever feeling it is that makes you pick at the skin around your nails. Find ways of occupying your hands so that your not picking at the skin. Carrying a small notebook and pen aorund can help, scribbling/doodling and all that.

ReputationRep:
    omg, you wouldn't realise the problem I have with this and biting my nails. I am such an addict is AWFUL. My friends looked at my finger tips and were like "They're all bright red! How do you live?" But the only time ive been able to stop was a few months ago when for some reason I manged to control myself from biting my nails for a while and they grew, then i couldn't really get to the skin around them so much.. but then i cut my nails and it started again .

I'm useless. And my fingers do bleed and get infected slightly and then are sore, but still I can't stop... and the stop nail biting stuff is awful because if ur eating something and accidentally lick ur fingers.... urgh...

Yeah im not really a good example. If you find a miracle solution please let me know....

ReputationRep:
    i used to do this a lot!! then one day i read that it can give you serious health problems as your biting at the skin which is likely to be covered in all sorts of bacteria etc which you wouldn't even know about! this scared me out of doing it! my cuticles are all over the place now and i have small scars around my fingers! wish i had stopped earlier! try and get a manicure once every two weeks and it should encourage you to keep your fingers and nails looking nice!

I bite the skin, does anyone find they like go bright white when your fingers go pruned from water?! Euk.

I can always give up biting, until the next time I trim my nails when I just have to bite them again. Weird.

ReputationRep:
    i used this stuff called nail the habit from superdrug, it does taste vile and if you eat anything with your fingers it ruins your food, but i found that for the skin around my nails if i dipped a cotton bud in the liquid and then applied it cafefully to the skin around my nails i only tasted it if i tried to bite the skin.

ReputationRep:
    I do this... I really need to stop!

ReputationRep:
    what you could do is.....replace picking the skin with rubbing in a moisturiser therefore it is like picking the skin but you are really healing your hands.
    Your fingers will move in the same way as if you were picking the skin.
    It's easier than having to wear gloves all the time to prevent you doing it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.