The Student Room Group

Applying To MIT From UK (New Levels)

Hello, to clear the elephant in the room, I'm 14, by commenting that I'm too young really does not help my situation.

So, my question, I'm ambitious to study in a top University, UK or America; whichever I feel is best for my progression. In my GCSE's I will be studying: Maths, English, RE, PSHE, triple Science, Computer Science and Electronics. With the arise of the new levelling system, will my chances be affected? In new grades (1-9) what will I require to have a chance at MIT ( I know that you need to have out of school interests as well)? Finally, can I receive any scholarships?

I personally, do, think that I am capable of studying at MIT, either way, I will aim high and will hope not to fail. I am predicted (old levels) all A's and two A*'s.

Any help appreciated,
Harry Robson
Hi,

Don’t worry; your chances won’t be affected at all. Just focus on trying as hard as possible on your GCSES. Ideally, a couple more A*s would boost your application. However, your academics are just starting points, not the be all and end all of your application.

Yes, you can apply to scholarships. Look up on the Fulbright website for more details; there are so many out there!

You’re starting young, and that’s good. Think about extracurriculars you enjoy and focus on investing lots of time in them so by age 17/18, you can be at a really high standard.

TL;DR - new levelling means nothing, keep working hard!
Reply 2
This is very very late, but just wanted to chip in :smile: I agree it's really good to be starting early, and also that extra curriculars are important, but make sure you are doing them because you want to, not for the sake of an application (quality not quantity). Specifically I would look into more supercurricular stuff such as a robotic club or Science Olympiads. You're GCSE combination sounds quite fun! Getting the best grades academically obviously helps massively for anything, and since you have time, maybe start prepping for SATs early. They aren't super hard, even though you probably haven't covered all the content yet, but it takes time to get used to the style! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending