The Student Room Group

Open relationships - yay or nay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CarysJSLewis
If what they're doing doesn't hurt anyone, I don't see the harm in it. However, I hear that jealousy is very common, unsurprisingly...

It'd also be difficult to keep track of who's been tested and who hasn't.
Reply 21
Original post by adamdaniell
So for me, at least... I went to a single-sex school, was bullied to boot, and so didn't really start having sex until I went to university. From there, I basically went from one short-to-long term monogamous relationship to another, before finally meeting my now (much longer term) partner. She originally asked if I wanted to do the open thing waaaaay back in the beginning, but I was far too nervous about losing her to even think about doing it; she was cool with either though, so we went forwards monogamously.

As the years passed, my love for her didn't change at all; she is attractive, intelligent, and wonderfully cynical to boot... but I was always attracted (and wanted to have sex) with other people, too. I mean, that's fairly standard, right? Very few people can say they are never attracted to anyone else (and I'll go out on a limb and say that a good percentage of the people who do say it are lying ;P)... and the more I thought about it on an intellectual basis, the less sense necessarily linking love and sex made to me. I mean, there are a couple of friends (for example) who I care about just as much as my partner, for whom I would sacrifice a hell of a lot, but there's no sex involved there. There's older couples I know who are very much in love still, but no longer want to have sex. There's plenty of gay and lesbian couples I know (always fashionable and future oriented, right? ;P) who have been doing non-monogamous relationships for years; they definitively love each other--some of them were on the forefront of marriage equality battles, who got married on the first day that it became legal--but they didn't see their bodies (or the physical act of sex) as being necessary to that love.

I mean, obviously, caring about someone can make sex even better - and loving that person? If the sexual passion is there, that's just the best, but it's totally not necessary... sex is very fun all on its own. ;P The things that I realized set an intimate pair bond/long term relationship/marriage (the things that love is made of) apart from sex... at least for me... are:
- trust
- honesty
- respect
- (at least some) shared interests
- personal space
- core personality similarities (I don't believe in that whole opposites attract stuff)
- a perennial desire to TALK to the other person and SHARE your life

Sex didn't enter it. I realized that, even if I could never have sex with her again, I'd still stick by my partner... and because we already had these things, I felt free to tell her the direction in which my thoughts were moving, and that I was interested in talking about the open relationship. I didn't want to cheat on her, and told her that if she wasn't up for it then we would just shelve the whole topic, and so we just continued chatting about it over the course of the next month. We found other people who'd done it and talked to them; she read books like 'The Ethical Slut'... and eventually we decided to give it a go. We set up a few basic rules (no more than two dates per week, always try to make it home after a date, always use protection, be scrupulous about keeping each other up-to-date about plans, etc) and off we went. Two years later, and things are still pretty sweet. I mean, it totally doesn't work for everyone, but then again neither does monogamy (look at the number of cheaters!) - the way I see it, if you can/want to, isn't it just better to be honest about our drives and desires, instead of covering them up, and letting them mess up a good thing?

Older couples, I've found, tend to transition like we did. A lot of the younger poly/non-monogamous people I've met (I mean, I'm 30, so hardly ancient, but like the 20-22 year olds) just started out that way - they set out looking for other non-monogamous people, or just dated widely (and told their partners what they were doing, eventually settling on one they particularly liked as an actual boyfriend/girlfriend). This is of course easier to do in more cosmopolitan/progressive areas/countries, but it is definitely a growing trend.

----------------------
Also a response to a couple of the things other people have posted:
"I can't see it working" = I know people who have been in open relationships for decades. I mean, it totally doesn't work for everyone, but for some people it really does work very well. The people I know who have been doing it for ages... I mean, they could still break up, for sure, but that happens with "normal" relationships too.

"Pussy isn't as easy to get as dick" = This is partially true, but this is often--having chatted with many women--because a lot of guys can be pretty crap at actually approaching women. The longer I have been dating, the better I am getting at doing it. There are, however, guys who get into the whole open relationship thing and then regret it (because their girl ends up getting all the action); most of the time this seems to me to be because they just aren't very good at upping their game. I am by no means the most attractive dude on the planet, but I am always critiquing my own actions and attempts, and make sure to keep on getting better - and so far it has paid dividends!

"I don't see the point." = I mean, sex with every person is a little bit different. People like different things, they want stuff done a different way, and they look/feel different. You also learn things from different people that you never would have found out from just one person... and it's not even just the sex. Constantly going out and meeting new people is great - I've made friends from failed dates, have met people from all over the world, and am slowly but surely growing far more confident than I ever was before... not to mention all the interesting things I've learned, and the stories I've heard. :biggrin:

"A bit of jealousy is good - shows the person you care" = I prefer to show the person I care by telling them, and performing actions--small and large--to demonstrate that care. If you do the whole thing sensibly, as well, you'll still be spending the largest amount of time with that person; traveling with them, cooking food together, chatting at the end of a day, laughing with them, sharing with them, etc, etc. If you can do all of that, does jealousy really add anything?

"How is an open relationship different to FBW?" = So an open relationship means you are in one permanent relationship with one person. They are the person you love, and may even be married to. You share a house with that person, you may even have children together, and in general you stick to them like you would if it were a closed relationship. FBWs are just that - friends who you occasionally screw. There's none of the additional commitment.

"Sexuality is possessive by nature" = Having studied history at the graduate level, there are many communities (for example Native American nations) who actually practiced open relationships before the Puritans came along (and they are not alone). Sex can be possessive, but that (to me) is an unhealthy attitude; nobody should be possessive of another human being; they are subjects, after all, not objects.

But again, to each their own. My attitude has always been: live and let live. :smile: Any other questions, OP, let me know.

I completely agree, I've never really had a relationship so I can't really say what would definitely work for me. However, from my perspective of what you've said and the videos on youtube it's seems to centre around communication and honesty so if it works for the individuals involved in either a monogamous or open relationship then it all good. You can't dictate what will work for everyone so monogamous relationships will work for some but not for others.

It's a choice made that two people in a partnership are comfortable with and I don't think the negative connotations attached to the term 'open relationship' is fair. It's stigmatised the same way gay relationships openly were not too long ago. Most have realised that's wrong so hopefully in the future people will indeed 'live and let live'.
Now, you see, I'm a traditionalist. Find a partner and stick to them, that's what I say. I know what you're all thinking - "Old fashioned uncle Len, doesn't know what he's talking about", but I tell you, sunshine, why on Earth would you go around sleeping with strangers when you have a loving partner waiting for you back home? Makes no sense to me, but then again old Len actually has morals and values, which the vast majority of the millennial generation are sorely lacking.
Reply 23
I don't see how being in an open relationship is any different to be fwb personally.
I don't have a problem with it. If it's successful, it shows that you're a good communicator, loyal, honest, blah blah blah.

Spoiler

Original post by WoodyMKC
I don't like sharing.

Aw because it hurts your ego?
Reply 26
Can it go wrong? Totally... but 50% of marriages end in divorce, and others end up being unhappy marriages that should have ended - and that's not even counting all the relationships that don't make it that far at all... so it's not like closed relationships have a great track record, and I know plenty of open couples who have been together for years/decades. Does it work for everyone? Of course not, but then again there is no one-size-fits-all for anything in life (and anyone who tells you there is is probably too deeply buried in their own worldview).

Overall, people aren't any happier today than they were before the sexual revolution, but the number of STDs has risen significantly since then. If you can be in an open relationship and still trust that your partner (and their partners) get tested and use protection, fine. Otherwise, it's much easier to keep track of STD testing with a 'traditional' relationship.
A total no for me
Original post by tapir
Overall, people aren't any happier today than they were before the sexual revolution, but the number of STDs has risen significantly since then. If you can be in an open relationship and still trust that your partner (and their partners) get tested and use protection, fine. Otherwise, it's much easier to keep track of STD testing with a 'traditional' relationship.

Only crazy people have sex without protection in the first place; it's a basic tenet of open relationships that you use protection and get tested. No worries there.
Original post by Len Goodman
Now, you see, I'm a traditionalist. Find a partner and stick to them, that's what I say. I know what you're all thinking - "Old fashioned uncle Len, doesn't know what he's talking about", but I tell you, sunshine, why on Earth would you go around sleeping with strangers when you have a loving partner waiting for you back home? Makes no sense to me, but then again old Len actually has morals and values, which the vast majority of the millennial generation are sorely lacking.

I'll respond seriously (even though this may be trolling) because this is an accusation that gets leveled sometimes. Firstly, who says they're strangers? Most of the people I sleep with I engage with multiple times (just occasionally as opposed to regularly). Additionally, my partner is not "waiting for me back home" - she has her own career, and her own things to do... that's almost besides the point, because it's the "morals and values" bit which seems messed up to me; for a start, it's a very broad accusation to make against an entire generation (considering that millennials are leading the charge into crowdfunding charitable efforts, and are more likely to volunteer their time (as opposed to just money) to charitable efforts than older generations).

It's also suggests that, just because some morals and values regarding sex may be different, that a group has no morals and values at all. I, for example, volunteer at my local hospital and donate to charity each month; I also have plenty of values - respect for education, respect for free speech, greater economic equality, just to name a few... most of the people I know--and those I have read online--are very serious in defending their moral values, and try to live their lives accordingly. Do they succeed? Not always, but the previous generations weren't exactly all saints either. It's very easy to make generalized statements about a specific group, but such disdain is almost always a tool of oppression or a way to dismiss any views that do not synchronize with one's own pre-formed opinions.
Reply 30
Only crazy people have sex without protection in the first place; it's a basic tenet of open relationships that you use protection and get tested. No worries there.

Wishful thinking for sure.
Reply 31
What level of beta cuckoldry is this?

Much rather FWB>Open relationships.

IMO a relationship has to be built on loyalty and trust, and screwing others while taken is obscene even if permitted.
Original post by years101
Aw because it hurts your ego?

We get it, you're a cuck.
i couldn't do open relationship coz once we're together your all mine and i dont share plus im not trying to get any stds
Reply 34
After having being In one, Do NOT even consider it.

It's true what they say, Feeling's WILL and DO develop

You do end up getting hurt in the long run, Whether that be through intense Jealousy or through developing feelings that aren't reciprocated.
Lord almighty, why is there even a discussion on this? It is just the weirdest elements of society trying to fit in with the rest of us by giving their fetish a decent sounding name, when back in the days before political correctness we all just used to call them what they are, swingers and cuckolds.

If you are a man, you are even worse if you support this stuff. I can guarantee you even if both the man and the woman in the relationship are 'open', unless the guy is in the top 10 % looks-wise, the woman will get at least 10x as much sex as he does.

Having said that, the type of guy who spends lots of time on TSR probably enjoys thinking about his SO getting banged by a younger, fitter, better-endowed man.

I am disgust.
Original post by WoodyMKC
We get it, you're a cuck.

Loool I'm not. There is no point of an open relationship. I said it hurts your ego because lets face it, it does. You dont want to share because just like any guy you'll feel you dont have control of your girl and that would make you angry. Good bye X
Definitely not for me 👎
Reply 39
I think the majority of the time they don't work and it's only one partner that is "open" because they don't love the other and they are manipulative/abusive.

There definitely are "poly amorous" people in happy open relationships and I don't judge them at all, whatever works for you, but these people are rare.

I don't really see how open relationships are long term but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Also personally when I'm with someone I don't ever want to get with or sleep with anyone else... unless I don't want to be with that person anymore.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending