Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Thought it would be helpful to create a forum for the process of applying to medical school!
    Here are some starter questions we can answer:

What degree have you currently studied/currently prior to applying?
    What unis do you want to apply to?
    Does anyone know if medical school places are increasing by 25% by 2018 entry?
    Will the student finance loan change if tuition fees increase to £9250?

ReputationRep:
    BSc Biological sciences from UEA
    Probably applying to Warwick, Southampton, Newcastle and KCL.

As far as i'm aware medical school places are increasing but I am unaware as to if these include graduate places. Common sense would assume so but theres not concrete evidence at the mo. Fingers crossed though!

And for the tuition fee loan I presume the loan will cover any increase. It will probably be added to the portion we have to repay rather than the portion we (in 1st year)/the NHS pay (Y2-4).

ReputationRep:
    BSc in Diagnostic Radiography from UCS.
    Only have a 2:2 so I'm limited to applying to Nottingham (and Exeter and Plymouth as undergrad and funding myself!)
    However I am highly considering doing a postgrad to open myself up to more universities! Does anyone know what the best postgrad courses are for GEM?

ReputationRep:
    Bsc (Hons) Biomedical Science from UoB. I want to apply to the following GEM courses: kings, Nottingham, St. George's and Southampton. I think the best courses for GEM are probably at St. George's and Nottingham but you should have a look at the course structure etc. What are you guys planning to do next year? Will you still be at uni or taking a gap year? I wanted to do a masters first but you don't get any support from student finance

ReputationRep:
    Hey 👋🏾

So I'm studying Bsc in nutrition atm and so far I'm getting 2:1/1st in each modules I'm in second year this year I'm researching to apply to 4 of these 6 universities... Southampton..Kings college...University of East Anglia..Warwick University...Queen Mary's and St George's but haven't chose my firm 4 university's i will be sitting the UKCAT and GAMSAT exams this year happy new year btw

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I'm currently studying Biomedical Science (3rd year) at Cardiff Uni so hopefully would have graduated with a 2i but aiming for a 1st this year! I'm researching all the unis but keeping my options open. Right now I really like Warwick and Newcastle but can't really decide on my other 2. I'm also probably only doing the UKCAT this cycle, but will take it at the beginning of summer so if I need to do the GAMSAT I can give it a good try. Happy New Year!

ReputationRep:
    Happy new year! I'm planning to do the gamsat in march to get it out of the way and sit the ukcat around july/august.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nads14)
    Happy new year! I'm planning to do the gamsat in march to get it out of the way and sit the ukcat around july/august.
    Ah right! I'm planning to sit both the gamsat and ukcat in September/ October time became i have uni exams in may

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millsye)
    Hi everyone!

I'm currently studying Biomedical Science (3rd year) at Cardiff Uni so hopefully would have graduated with a 2i but aiming for a 1st this year! I'm researching all the unis but keeping my options open. Right now I really like Warwick and Newcastle but can't really decide on my other 2. I'm also probably only doing the UKCAT this cycle, but will take it at the beginning of summer so if I need to do the GAMSAT I can give it a good try. Happy New Year!
    Why wouldn't you apply to cardiff for graduate medicine? Their program is only open for a select few graduates from Welsh schools

ReputationRep:
    I also have final year exams but I sat the gamsat in September to see how it was. I got an average score of 55 so I'm hoping to improve it

ReputationRep:
    What's everyone planning to do on their gap year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nads14)
    What's everyone planning to do on their gap year?
    I currently work as a bank HCA at my hospital and have arranged to go full time for next year which should be good! Going to sit UKCAT and GAMSAT in summer as well.

I am considering applying for research assistant positions as another option and continue bank work whilst doing that. Purely because it pays more really!

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll probably be applying in 2019, but I am not sure.

The thing I am hating the most is the UKCAT. I actually don't mind the GAMSAT because I can study for that and I do put in the effort. But the UKCAT is something that I just don't seem get a handle of. Things are not better for us GEM applicants because we're expected to get in the high 700's whereas the college entry student are expected to be getting in the high 600's. Not really sure I get the logic behind this, I understand GEM is more competitive but why the higher expectation? UKCAT is not exactly knowledge based so why the higher requirements for GEM?

I would have preferred it if they just used one i.e GAMSAT for their entries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    Why wouldn't you apply to cardiff for graduate medicine? Their program is only open for a select few graduates from Welsh schools

You have to get into their GEM scheme via Biomed which only has limited places and I didn't get onto

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Optimist)

The thing I am hating the most is the UKCAT. I actually don't mind the GAMSAT because I can study for that and I do put in the effort. But the UKCAT is something that I just don't seem get a handle of. Things are not better for us GEM applicants because we're expected to get in the high 700's whereas the college entry student are expected to be getting in the high 600's. Not really sure I get the logic behind this, I understand GEM is more competitive but why the higher expectation? UKCAT is not exactly knowledge based so why the higher requirements for GEM?

Ah see I am the complete opposite to you. I am a big UKCAT fan. I just seem to enjoy and do better those kind of questions compared to GAMSAT. Except verbal reasoning, that ones just harsh haha.

I guess its just another filter for the competitiveness of the course. Less places means high entry levels to make choosing candidates easier. Saying that though it does depend on the uni. 2 of my friends started last September doing GEM. One is at Warwick and got 720 in his UKCAT, whilst the one at Newcastle got about 830 I think. Newcastle has always been a UKCAT heavy uni though.

ReputationRep:

This is purely a guess but maybe the UKCAT scores have to be higher because a better calibre of students are applying? So the top scores from those students are higher anyway? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millsye)
    This is purely a guess but maybe the UKCAT scores have to be higher because a better calibre of students are applying? So the top scores from those students are higher anyway? :confused:
    I am not sure. But it seem UKCAT is just one of those things you're either good at or not good at. And it makes me wonder how useful of an indicator it actually is for doing well in the medicine course? It seems purely just as a filtering mechanism without any other use outside of that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mightybadger16)
    Ah see I am the complete opposite to you. I am a big UKCAT fan. I just seem to enjoy and do better those kind of questions compared to GAMSAT. Except verbal reasoning, that ones just harsh haha.

I guess its just another filter for the competitiveness of the course. Less places means high entry levels to make choosing candidates easier. Saying that though it does depend on the uni. 2 of my friends started last September doing GEM. One is at Warwick and got 720 in his UKCAT, whilst the one at Newcastle got about 830 I think. Newcastle has always been a UKCAT heavy uni though.
    To be frank I only ever tried to practise UKCAT once so if I were to practise it I'd perhaps do well. I just never done one from beginning to end to see my grade. What I find quite funny is that they themselves have said in some parts you'd be purely guessing the choices due to time, so essentially a chunk of the paper would be due to guesses?

I wanted to apply to Newcastle, but if they're expecting in the 800's then I might have to reconsider them. I probably need to one day do a UKCAT practise in a timed and serious manner to see where I stand.

ReputationRep:
    To be frank I only ever tried to practise UKCAT once so if I were to practise it I'd perhaps do well. I just never done one from beginning to end to see my grade. What I find quite funny is that they themselves have said in some parts you'd be purely guessing the choices due to time, so essentially a chunk of the paper would be due to guesses?

I wanted to apply to Newcastle, but if they're expecting in the 800's then I might have to reconsider them. I probably need to one day do a UKCAT practise in a timed and serious manner to see where I stand.
    When I first started UKCAT practice I thought this was an awful method and I just could not get verbal and abstract reasoning questions right. I worked solidly for about 1 month whilst working over summer before sitting my test and VR aside it went much better than I thought.

The key is just practice. When you first sit down and look at some of the abstract reasoning questions and then the answers, you think how on earth does anyone work these out. But eventually you begin to see the patterns and what to look for and when you get the method right it could be a very high scoring section for you.

My recommendation is the Medify website for UKCAT practice. It has the same visual layout as the actual test so you get used to it and the question bank is huge.

Also, please don't assume you need 800+ to get into Newcastle, my friend was extremely intelligent and would have probably got into anywhere (he received all 4 of his offers). He has said that people on his course did get 700 and something.

ReputationRep:
    That's sounds great! I am planning to work as a phlebotomist in my gap year and hopefully save some money for medical school accommodation etc. The only thing you can do is practice the ukcat-the timing is so tough

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.