The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by puddleduck
Sounds like you're mostly applying to 5 year courses so I can't give you any advice for those, but I'd say your UKCAT is probably too low to apply for the 4 year course, unfortunately (for GEM, you really need over 700- or at least for the unis I looked at). Out of interest, are you going to take the GAMSAT? If so, will you apply for a GAMSAT university instead of the C listed?

Hey! Cheers for the reply, yes I intend on taking the GAMSAT, depending on how I feel about it I'll probably apply to sgul instead of Southampton. This post was mostly to ask about my ukcat options 😂
Original post by BlueBro97
Hey! Cheers for the reply, yes I intend on taking the GAMSAT, depending on how I feel about it I'll probably apply to sgul instead of Southampton. This post was mostly to ask about my ukcat options 😂

Warwick, for example looks for roughly 2770 - 2800 (2017 is a weird one because of the introduction of DM), so a ukcat score of 680 could still quite feasibly secure you an interview. Obviously different unis have different cut off points, but I would have thought that score still makes you a contender :smile:
Original post by Totallynotmyname
Warwick, for example looks for roughly 2770 - 2800 (2017 is a weird one because of the introduction of DM), so a ukcat score of 680 could still quite feasibly secure you an interview. Obviously different unis have different cut off points, but I would have thought that score still makes you a contender :smile:

That is music to my ears 😊
Original post by BlueBro97
That is music to my ears 😊

I was actually just reading about Kings and they don't actually have a particular ukcat cut off. Instead they just take it as one part of a larger decision. Anyway, totally apply with your score.

Just don't apply to the same unis as me, I don't want the extra competition :P
Do all universities offer graduate entry to medicine? Has anyone ever been accepted after gaining and open university degree ?
Original post by bri90bri
Do all universities offer graduate entry to medicine? Has anyone ever been accepted after gaining and open university degree ?

No only around a dozen universities in England/ Wales offer grad med. I don't know too much about Ireland or Scotland. As for an open uni degree, I don't think that it matters at all. Obviously some might ask for one with honours and I'm not sure if open uni degrees offer that?

I think the lowest score to get an interview for 2017 entry was 686.
I was actually just reading about Kings and they don't actually have a particular ukcat cut off. Instead they just take it as one part of a larger decision. Anyway, totally apply with your score.

Haha best of luck with your application!

Used to be written on their page last year ... they interview only Scores in the top two deciles of candidates and reject others irrespective
How can I improve my QR score?
I run out of time every time and seem to be doing quite awful at it with my best score being 590 (Medify)
Original post by Ninja_R
How can I improve my QR score?
I run out of time every time and seem to be doing quite awful at it with my best score being 590 (Medify)

It's a tough section but certainly conquerable. If you are like me and maths isn't your strongest aspect then it's just practice :smile: I'm sure others will have advice but as its still fresh in my mind:

- learn the shortcuts for calculator, flagging and next question. You save valuable seconds each question doing this.

- eye ball big sets of data e.g. if it's asking you to find the biggest differences between a bunch of years,you could work it out but it's much easier to glance at the data.

- skip the hard questions! Grab the easy points first and then work backwards. There were a few question styles I struggled with so I just skipped them.

- keep an eye on the time. Every other question or so look up!

- make sure you know the area of a circle, averages and percentage Inc/dec equations off the back of your hand. A good third of my questions involved calculating a percentage change.

- keep clear notes of your calculations. Often a question at the end of a question set will involve an answer you calculated at the start. That's another 15-20 seconds saved.

- just remember that the maths they are asking you to do isn't complicated and you will know it! You just need to keep a level head. Actually I should mention that you get a minute between each section. I used it by sitting there with my eyes closed to rest them and to relax momentarily. it's free time so I think you should use it to prepare yourself mentally.

Everyone has their own strategy but find what works for you. I'm sure you will do just fine :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Has anyone got into medicine without a levels or highers but just with a previous degree
I have a physical disability which affects my muscles and myofascia, particularly in my arms/hands. I'm doing UKCAT SEN because of this. Like you, I just know I won't ever pursue surgery, but I know I'm otherwise fit to practice; I work around my disability and it doesn't stop me in doing anything else in medicine (for instance I could take blood and insert IVs).

I also know someone who got onto GEM last year (starting in October 2017) who has an issue with his hand in that it is set at an odd angle following an injury. He therefore finds tasks with his hands difficult, but has been admitted onto the course despite this. Hope this sets your mind at ease a bit!

Original post by Laurajane89
Hi,

If you don't mind me asking: Is anyone applying for medicine who has a physical disability or does anyone know of any doctors who do? I'm asking as I have a physical disability which affects my right hand and i'm scared that i'm going to 'possibly' spend a few years trying to get onto a course to be unsuccessful due to this. I do feel like I would struggle with the practical side of the surgery element of the course; however, I know my limitations and because of this I realise that it is not realistic to apply for jobs in surgery etc...

Thoughts?

:-)
Original post by bri90bri
Has anyone got into medicine without a levels or highers but just with a previous degree

i would presume so, since some unis e.g newcastle and warwick, only look at degree and nothing else
Original post by sunnysideup12
I have a physical disability which affects my muscles and myofascia, particularly in my arms/hands. I'm doing UKCAT SEN because of this. Like you, I just know I won't ever pursue surgery, but I know I'm otherwise fit to practice; I work around my disability and it doesn't stop me in doing anything else in medicine (for instance I could take blood and insert IVs).

I also know someone who got onto GEM last year (starting in October 2017) who has an issue with his hand in that it is set at an odd angle following an injury. He therefore finds tasks with his hands difficult, but has been admitted onto the course despite this. Hope this sets your mind at ease a bit!

Thank you so much for sharing this. 😊 I appreciate it. Good luck with your application.
It's a tough section but certainly conquerable. If you are like me and maths isn't your strongest aspect then it's just practice :smile: I'm sure others will have advice but as its still fresh in my mind:

- learn the shortcuts for calculator, flagging and next question. You save valuable seconds each question doing this.

- eye ball big sets of data e.g. if it's asking you to find the biggest differences between a bunch of years,you could work it out but it's much easier to glance at the data.

- skip the hard questions! Grab the easy points first and then work backwards. There were a few question styles I struggled with so I just skipped them.

- keep an eye on the time. Every other question or so look up!

- make sure you know the area of a circle, averages and percentage Inc/dec equations off the back of your hand. A good third of my questions involved calculating a percentage change.

- keep clear notes of your calculations. Often a question at the end of a question set will involve an answer you calculated at the start. That's another 15-20 seconds saved.

- just remember that the maths they are asking you to do isn't complicated and you will know it! You just need to keep a level head. Actually I should mention that you get a minute between each section. I used it by sitting there with my eyes closed to rest them and to relax momentarily. it's free time so I think you should use it to prepare yourself mentally.

Everyone has their own strategy but find what works for you. I'm sure you will do just fine :smile:

TYSM :smile:
I seem to be getting most of them correct when I do it untimed. But as soon as I add time into it, it all completely falls apart.
Especially questions with huge paragraphs integrated with some useful information. Or the stupid school uniform questions (Damn you *shakes fist*). I seem to do all the calculations and realise I missed out 1 little detail, which would mean I have to do it all again etc.
Is anyone sitting the Edinburgh GAMSAT? Does anyone have any good prep materials? Terrified!
Who would I use for reference? :O
Undergrad/Postgrad tutors?
Original post by Ninja_R

Whoever you would think would write a nice genuine reference about you!
Original post by Ninja_R

Which course did you perform better on?

Latest

Trending

Trending