Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I about to buy a CORSA SXI DTI 1.7 , 3 DOOR HATCHBACK , Diesel, year 2002, MOT and possible road tax (not sure), 68000 Miles, one driver, everything inside is pretty much electrical plus aircon and free cd/mp3 player worth around 60.

For 3000 pounds?

Haven't driven it yet, but when the dealer drove it the engine sounded fine.

I chose a diesel because I'll be doing plenty of motorway driving.

Basically I'm asking whether I'm getting a good deal, it's my first car so I kinda shakey.

Thx.

ReputationRep:
    Well I would advice you to have it checked over by an expert the engine sounding find doesn't mean anything... If you don't know any car expert the RAC car check is quite indepth and will give you an idea on wheither you should buy it or not, mind you they will pick up on everything so don't be too put off by what comes back from these checks.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I was planning on getting it checked by a garage or something....

ReputationRep:
    Even.. RAC.co.uk and pay a fiver for a HPI check.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you get a test drive on it, too.

ReputationRep:
    Think the 1.7 DTi is actually a fairly rare car, especially in SXi spec. Based on Autotrader for my area, the nearest result is £3200 for a 1.7 Di with 70000 (which has 10bhp less than your car and is only 'Comfort' spec. So yes, if all is well with the car itself that price isn't bad at all (at least compared to the prices in my area).

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=_GUESS_]

QUOTE]

It's diesel but it sounded fine, wtf? Must be broke mate

ReputationRep:
    a DTi will be slow.

I'm a member on www.corsa-c.co.uk

Find me and ask on there...!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Ryan]
    (Original post by _GUESS_)

QUOTE]

It's diesel but it sounded fine, wtf? Must be broke mate
    \

I meant, it sounded decent for a diesel car (i know they're usually noisy:rolleyes:).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Make sure you get a test drive on it, too.
    I won't be able to test drive it because I'm not insured.

ReputationRep:
    Dealer or private sale?

IF its a dealer car they stick trade plates on it for you so you can test drive

ReputationRep:
    If all else fails get someone else to test drive it for you.

ReputationRep:
    Its private . But i think I'll get my uncle to test drive it.

One more thing I was wondering is that this car has only been serviced 3 times. It's a 2002 make and the first service was around 06/03 at approx 20 mil, the second one was on 03/04 at approx 40 mil and the last one was on 10/05 approx at 60mil.

The current milleage is at 68 mil, and it's 2007 so it hasn't been serviced for almost 2 years - is that a problem???

ReputationRep:
    Well I think at 60k on diesel they need a new cambelt so might wana check up on that, if it had one or was needed. But the next service is 80k usually..

ReputationRep:
    I might be worth an oil change, but it sounds like its been well serviced.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why there should be a problem if your uncle thinks it's fine when he drives it. According to Parker's, service intervals for the early Corsa C were 20,000 miles(!!) - So the servicing for your car sounds pretty bang on what it should be.... just for comparison, my old diesel is every 6,000 or 12 months.

ReputationRep:
    In the service book it says service needs to be done every 1 year OR 20,000 miles - does it mean you need to service it when which ever one comes first?

Because I was thinking of asking the owner to first service the car before selling it to me because the last service was 2 years ago (or 7000 miles ago).

ReputationRep:
    It probably does mean which comes first, although 20,000 miles would have been ok to start with as the car was still relatively new, might be worth doing it more regularly now though. There's definately no harm in asking him to service it first, particularly if you're paying the asking price for the car, he should co-operate.

ReputationRep:
    Is the car worth for what I'm paying, cuz some of my mates are saying that 3000 I should be going for a better car?

ReputationRep:
    As I said before, compared to prices in my postcode on Autotrader than seems like a good price (just search for 1,7DTi Corsas in your postcode, if prices are similar or higher to what you're paying then obviously you're getting a reasonable deal). You won't get a newer diesel supermini without paying nearly £4k+. Petrol equivalents are probably cheaper, but that depends on what you want.
    The only other diesel supermini in that budget I can think might be worth looking at is the Clio dci.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 2, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.