what's the chance of still geting a place if i dont get the grades i need? Watch

Chrissy12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
i have 5 offers to study chemistry and am trying to decide whish will be my 2 final choices. Glasgow would be my top pick (AAB). I also have offers from Liverpool (ABB) and Aberdeen (BBB). In my AS levels i got ABC. I like all 3 unis, my mum is trying to pursuade me to put Liverpool as my 1st choice and aberdeen as my second and so take a bit of pressure off me, but i am thinking of putting Glasgow as my first and Liverpool as my insurance. If i only end up with ABB, is there any chance Glasgow might still offer me a place? Thanks
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Chrissy12)
i have 5 offers to study chemistry and am trying to decide whish will be my 2 final choices. Glasgow would be my top pick (AAB). I also have offers from Liverpool (ABB) and Aberdeen (BBB). In my AS levels i got ABC. I like all 3 unis, my mum is trying to pursuade me to put Liverpool as my 1st choice and aberdeen as my second and so take a bit of pressure off me, but i am thinking of putting Glasgow as my first and Liverpool as my insurance. If i only end up with ABB, is there any chance Glasgow might still offer me a place? Thanks
There's a chance, but it's impossible to say how likely it is. It depends on how well everyone else has done, as if many applicants meet their offer the uni won't have many extra places. It also depends whether other applicants who missed their offer are deemed more worthy of a place - such as by having extenuating circumstances.

But you should pick your firm and insurance to be where you want to go. Would you be happy at the uni your mum chose? If not, don't pick it.
emcat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's a decent chance they'll still accept you if you miss your grades (Glasgow was my insurance offer, and I missed even my insurance grades but they still accepted me. That's also the case for many other people I know), but it really depends on how well everyone else does that year.
pmc:producer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Chrissy12)
It's case by case, if the course is heavily oversubscribed (and you lack any genuine experience attractive ec's) it's unlikely - but echoing above, it's extremely difficult to say.

Out of curiosity, why would your mum push for Aberdeen over Glasgow?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Glasgow
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Jun '19
  • University of Glasgow
    Wed, 4 Sep '19
  • University of Glasgow
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.11%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (96)
14.93%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (193)
30.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise