The Student Room Group

How to become an online tutor? Online tutoring jobs for students?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by societea
Just wondering has anyone tried doing any tutoring as a job?
If so how did you find the people you tutored, how did you structure what you did with them, and how much did you charge? I'm 17 and did well at GCSE, now doing science A levels.

Hi Societea,

If you're considering tutoring you may find it useful to look at our advice for tutors page here:

http://www.thetutorpages.com/private-tutor-advice

It will give you practical info on safety, legal requirements, ethical tutoring and fees. I'm afraid that you wouldn't be able to sign up to our site until you're 18, though. It's often a good idea to start tutoring through personal contacts (friends and family) and to charge appropriately to your age and experience.

Good luck!

Emma
Original post by societea
Just wondering has anyone tried doing any tutoring as a job?
If so how did you find the people you tutored, how did you structure what you did with them, and how much did you charge? I'm 17 and did well at GCSE, now doing science A levels.

First of all, Science A-levels! Well done! Tough choice, but I'm enjoying it so far, hope you are too!

The children I tutored were younger than me by a few years, but I found this to be very helpful. Parents talk. I started off by helping a family friend's daughter. Her mother told others and suddenly, I had eight students.

Top tip: Keep a diary. Write down what you do, what you set, if they paid, etc.

I started off by finding out what they knew. You start from scratch with the simple stuff like addition and subtraction. Then move on to multiplication. and finally division. For GCSE students, it's usually better to ask what they struggle with. Then a bit like a parent does, read up on the topic, find out what you know and what you need to recap, and then go through it with them.

Quick Reply

Latest