Turn on thread page Beta

Russian student snubs Oxbridge for Luton watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Came across this article on Guardian online today, what do you guys think about it? Ms. Curtis didn't make it clear whether or not she actually obtained an offer or not from oxbridge, just that she "opted" to study at Luton :confused:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...275843,00.html

"Svetlana Oglobina has spurned the chance to apply for Oxford, Cambridge or the London School of Economics in favour of Luton, where she is starting a masters in business administration (MBA) in October. "

No wonder they were the first to become Commie *******s!

ReputationRep:
    All it actually says is that she was the only one to apply there.

ReputationRep:
    Pah, you beat me to it....

I just saw this as well, but I have to say it is a little misleading: she passed up the chance to apply to Oxford or Cambridge.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't everyone have the chance to apply there? Isn't that quite a bit different from saying that she passed up the chance to go there - implying that she had been made an offer? I guess LH points that out as well.

ReputationRep:
    The scholorship she was awarded with meant she could actually go to any university she wanted, not just apply there. Therefore she did snub oxbridge, as if she had chosen to apply there she would have deffinately got in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tajel)
    Pah, you beat me to it....

I just saw this as well, but I have to say it is a little misleading: she passed up the chance to apply to Oxford or Cambridge.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't everyone have the chance to apply there? Isn't that quite a bit different from saying that she passed up the chance to go there - implying that she had been made an offer? I guess LH points that out as well.
    On the other hand, she was good enough to be awarded a very generous bursary from the Foreign (and Commonwealth) Office, so surely her academic capabilities are sufficient to be made an offer at any of the UK's top universities.

If she was the kind of candidate likely to be rejected from Oxbridge, I would find it unlikely that she would be awarded the bursary in the first place.

(Original post by aliel)
    Came across this article on Guardian online today, what do you guys think about it? Ms. Curtis didn't make it clear whether or not she actually obtained an offer or not from oxbridge, just that she "opted" to study at Luton :confused:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...275843,00.html
    Considering that you’re going to Oxbridge yourself I’m surprised at how poorly you read the article. It is clear that she didn’t hold a place at Cambridge – how did you come to the contrary position?

Indeed you said the other day that you had less than 9 A* at A-level.

Are you a member of an ethnic minority by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    It's her choice anyway. She chose it because there was links between her university and Luton. If there wasn't any link, I don't think she would choose it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    Considering that you’re going to Oxbridge yourself I’m surprised at how poorly you read the article. It is clear that she didn’t hold a place at Cambridge – how did you come to the contrary position?

Indeed you said the other day that you had less than 9 A* at A-level.

Are you a member of an ethnic minority by any chance?
    I read over it quickly.Iwasn't aware that one could get "9A* at Alevel"?

(Original post by fully)
    The scholorship she was awarded with meant she could actually go to any university she wanted, not just apply there. Therefore she did snub oxbridge, as if she had chosen to apply there she would have deffinately got in.
    I'm not sure, the article says something like 2400 of such scholarships are given out yet only 150ish people went to oxbridge, i think its that they will fund you for *any* university, not that you are guranteed a place if that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    How could they possibly go guaranteeing people places at universities? That would be ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Svetlana Oglobina has spurned the chance to apply for Oxford, Cambridge or the London School of Economics in favour of Luton, where she is starting a masters in business administration (MBA) in October.

(Original post by aliel)
    I read over it quickly.Iwasn't aware that one could get "9A* at Alevel"?
    A typo. But point taken.

ReputationRep:
    The Fco will not be able to grant a place any where. Admissions are for the universities, not the FCO DFES (or whatever its called this afternoon).
    She had the chance to apply and didn't. The FCO would fund her, not get her a place. In the same way any roadsweeper has the option to apply for Oxford. Not that she is a roadsweeper...

ReputationRep:
    What a crap story. From the headline they make it out as if she gets an offer from Oxford and turns it down for Luton. When she in fact never applied, and might not have even got in. Well done Polly

ReputationRep:
    On what basis does Polly Curtis warrant contined employment by the Guardian? She's one of the worst journalists on the planet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    On what basis does Polly Curtis warrant contined employment by the Guardian? She's one of the worst journalists on the planet.
    I'd agree-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    because the Guardian is one of the worst papers on the planet

ReputationRep:
    But could she not have applied to Luton, but then gone to a better university?

Basically the story is, "woman does not apply to Oxbridge or LSE."

Brilliant investigative reporting by the Grauniad!

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    But could she not have applied to Luton, but then gone to a better university?

Basically the story is, "woman does not apply to Oxbridge or LSE."

Brilliant investigative reporting by the Grauniad!
    lol

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.