Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How often do you have to do them for your English course on average per week?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Amelie)
    How often do you have to do them for your English course on average per week?
    Depends on your course. We usually had to do one or two each week.

ReputationRep:
    As hobnob suggests, this will vary hugely from course to course. Some of my friends (and pretty good institutions) write 3 a term. I get somewhere between 1 and 3 a week, of varying lengths and committments (so, most will be 2-3000 words; some will take 3 hours [or so] others might take 10).
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    0 most weeks. Our essays tend to be due either after reading week or after Christmas/Easter breaks.

In my first year, I had to do 7 essays, mostly between 1500-2500 words each. Second year, I had eight essays, between 2000-4500 words. Third year, I'll have to do one 4000 word essay for each module - three essays due after Christmas and three essays due after Easter. You can imagine that my breaks are very busy. My terms, not so much. Also will be doing 10K dissertation.

Also had 8 exams in first year, 3 in second, and 0 in third.

ReputationRep:
    At Exeter I had to do a mere 2 essays a term, which some people liked, but I found it irritating as it made me more liable to slack off rather than keeping my commitment to my work at a high, steady level, as at only 2 essays a term you can afford to keep your academic activity at a relatively low level the rest of the time, which probably isn't good for your academic development.

ReputationRep:
    I had to do two per modual, which I didn't like as I prefer to do essays as revision.

ReputationRep:
    I once had to write three full essays in about four days. Man, those sucked. I think I was running on rum by the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    It's one 3,000 word essay a fortnight at UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's a lot. I usually have to do between 4 and 6 essays a semester. One or two per module usually.

ReputationRep:
    at birmingham, you tend to get lots of essays going on at the same time (unless you balance the workload properly).

it works out at an essay a fortnight i think.

ReputationRep:
    At Oxford, I think the average is about 3 per fortnight in your first year, plus translations every week for Old English.

ReputationRep:
    6 a term on average at Durham (in first year, anyway). They're always all due right at the end of the term, which is really annoying! I have a few things to learn about organisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    6 a term on average at Durham (in first year, anyway). They're always all due right at the end of the term, which is really annoying! I have a few things to learn about organisation.
    I would be useless there - I work on the deadline, always; it's infuriating! In my mind, anyone who can cope with that is far better equipped to deal with the world.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by caustic87)
    At Oxford, I think the average is about 3 per fortnight in your first year, plus translations every week for Old English.

This makes me very glad I don't go to Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    This makes me very glad I don't go to Oxford.
    Nooooooooo - translations are FUN!
    It's nice to have something formulaic (ish) to do, it contrasts nicely with the ludicrous number of essays! Melikes translation.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Old Norse next year and I'm really looking forward to it even though the idea of it horrified me at the start of last year!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Old Norse next year and I'm really looking forward to it even though the idea of it horrified me at the start of last year!
    Have you found these two websites yet, Jelkin?
    Teach yourself Old Norse...!

http://teaching.arts.usyd.edu.au/english/2000/icel/

http://icelandic.hi.is/

(The second one requires you to login - just sign up, it's free).
    Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epitome)
    It's nice to have something formulaic (ish) to do, it contrasts nicely with the ludicrous number of essays! Melikes translation.
    I totally agree with this; they make a wonderful contrast to the essays. If I have to do an essay, I'd almost rather also have to do a translation alongside it than not - it's such a different type of work that it's almost not work (if that makes sense).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epitome)
    Translations are for the weak.

ReputationRep:
    Translations are for the weak.
    ??? What?!
    I didn't mean *reading* translations; I meant creating them. Which, in my case, really just means Making It Up.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 9, 2007

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.