The Student Room Group

what can i do with my degree?

i am a final year economics student, obviously being an economist is out of the window..what the heck can i do with my degree? what careers are available in the policy/governmental type jobs sector?

I'm might do a masters in political economy..what can i do with that also?

Help!!!!!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J-SP
It would probably be easier to say what you can't do, rather than what you can. Degree titles rarely mean you are limited to the type of work you can do.

Do you want to work in an economics field?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't mind, but the high level of competition for those jobs is putting me off. i haven't completed any internships etc and i need to start working ASAP. I guess i feel because the degree doesn't lead to a particular job i'm kinda feeling like what the heck can i do with it!! D:
Try to do a MSc Business Economics degree as it can lead to more options such as being a Manager for a business, being in Accounts and Finance etc.
Accounting, investment banking, actuary, teaching, trading, marketing, buyer, finance grad schemes, civil service (Government Economic Service, National Audit Office) etc...

You can become an economist if you do an MSc and a PhD
Original post by *Thedreaming*
i am a final year economics student, obviously being an economist is out of the window..what the heck can i do with my degree? what careers are available in the policy/governmental type jobs sector?

Help!!!!!

I saw you post that you haven't done any internships, but do you have any work experience at all? The vast majority of graduate employers will want to see something other than your university degree to consider you seriously.
Reply 5

Help!!!!!
Very expensive toilet paper.
Original post by Tootles

Economics is pretty good

What degree wouldn't be toiler paper?
Reply 7
Original post by Petrodollar
Economics is pretty good

What degree wouldn't be toiler paper?
All of them :colonhash:
I wouldn't mind, but the high level of competition for those jobs is putting me off. i haven't completed any internships etc and i need to start working ASAP. I guess i feel because the degree doesn't lead to a particular job i'm kinda feeling like what the heck can i do with it!! D:

With not a single internship to your name I'm afraid you'll vastly struggle to get anything outside the lowest of the low - retail/admin/warehouse.
Original post by Len Goodman
With not a single internship to your name I'm afraid you'll vastly struggle to get anything outside the lowest of the low - retail/admin/warehouse.

Well i obviously tried to get an internship and failed to secure one

Internships are just as competitive

TSRs positively never fails to astound me, i have a clearer idea of what do..thanks for all helpful posts
Original post by Tootles

I do agree with you, but i think its pointless dropping out now, also the opportunity to study for a masters can't really harm me.
Original post by Len Goodman

I wouldn't mind doing admin for a bit anyway.
Original post by jelly1000
I saw you post that you haven't done any internships, but do you have any work experience at all? The vast majority of graduate employers will want to see something other than your university degree to consider you seriously.

Yes i do. Not career specific though.
OP - Many jobs are open to all graduates regardless of their course degree.

I would like to add however that you're also in luck as economics is a highly sought after degree.

Complete internships in order to get a good job out there!

Goodluck!
Yes i do. Not career specific though.

Don't discount it, it might not be career specific but you will still have useful examples which can be transferable e.g. working in a team. Also I work in the policy field (and my previous work experience even where less relevant was helpful) and I've noticed some places asking for people with an economics background- if you have any specific questions feel free to ask ahead.

Help!!!!!

Have you visited your uni's careers service (I'm assuming they should have one..) where you can talk to a career's advisor and get some advice. It's also good to brainstorm and think of areas or fields you are potentially interested in working in, then do more proper research into what those jobs:

involve when doing them and whether you'd enjoy it or not (and whether those jobs are available atm, and are in a place either near to you or if you are able to move to where those jobs are e.g. London);

require for you to get those kind of jobs.

You could also contact companies or organisations and ask if you can do work experience in the summer or during term time, thats down to you, or if you can shadow someone, the possibilities are endless really, its down to you making the effort and putting yourself out there. And sure you might get ignored or rejected, but if you dont try youll never know.

You should also use Google and the Prospects website. Take some quizzes, they can be helpful, which will take your personality and your preferences and give you career options based on that (e.g. working alone/in a team, working indoors/outdoors, etc etc).

Good luck, try and keep on trying, do the leg work, do the research and Googling, send emails, phone companies up, talk to people in those areas/jobs already, or sit around and do nothing, its up to you!

That is the problem almost everyone has when they graduate.
You need to start volunteering or gain any form of work experience just to get your foot in the door because if you don't, you situation is likely to get worse in the long run, so I would start doing that as soon as possible.
Almost everyone has a degree nowadays so you need to do something to make yourself stand out from the rest of the crowd. Trust me it will pay off in long term. :smile:
Yes, that's the discussion I needed! Guys you all giving such helpful valuable advice, thank you!

I will try to relate myself here as well.
To begin with, I finished my undergraduate with a first class but I've been quite depressed during my university time, mainly due to a persisting chronic back injury (thank God I'm better now), and had not done any internships or submitted applications for graduate programmes. I just have some part-time work experience as cashier or warehouse staff. Currently, I am doing a Masters degree in research and I think this makes a pretty good work experience for me, as I am trying to get involved in as many volunteering opportunities as I can, which is further allowing me to develop several useful transferable skills, like how to manage my time, work in a team/independently, be more professional etc. Would you guys suggest any other things I could do whilst at my Masters? I'm not really good at networking and have avoided job recruitment fairs...

Going back to graduate schemes, I have quite a few 'noob' level questions (I will try to absorb all this shame for not planning or researching anything ahead). So, I would like to ask:
-Are there any age-ranges for graduate scheme applications? (I am 24. I heard that persons straight outta third year, when they are 21 or 22 years old, are the preferred applicants rather than more mature persons, who are in their thirties or forties)

-This leads to another question. After 5 (or 10) years since graduation, do the chances significantly decrease for being accepted on to graduate scheme? If so, could you elaborate why

-I am looking for a job in health services, like laboratory environment or something my degree relates to, i.e. physiology. On the contrary, I saw a lot of the graduate schemes train you in Finance, Sales, Marketing or Supply Chain. So, given that I'd successfully enrol on a graduate scheme, which for me would be completely unrelated to my degree e.g. something like marketing, is it still possible to change careers within the company (For example, in case there would advertised health service roles)?

-What normally happens once you finish the graduate scheme? The person automatically (emphasis on automatically) continues working for the company? Or can be laid off?

I would be really grateful if someone could answer some of my questions. It means a lot to me.
Thank you.
Reply 18

Help!!!!!

Have a look at career destinations of graduates studying your degree at your uni and other unis; all of which are published on their website (e.g. LSE, Kingston and Sheffield's data).

Also, is there really any point in doing that masters if you don't know why you're doing it in the first place, or whether you'll actually need it for whatever reason?
(edited 7 years ago)
Being over qualified... That's an interesting concept. As I understand, the company would like someone who is flexible and adaptable to the provided training instead of someone, who has already formed a certain belief and work ethic. Could you please give an example of an over qualified applicant?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending