Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We used to start on 0 rep didn't we? Just wondering then, if we all started on 0, everyone would have had 0 power, so how did anyone ever build up?

ReputationRep:
    Their post counts. :p:

Edit: I'll explain better. If somebody got 100 posts, they'd be given 1 rep power. So very slowly and over a lot of time it would build up. :p: At first when rep wasn't as powerful as it is now, 40 points would get you a new gem. :p: The points needed now for a new gem are a lot higher than back then, and it was a lot easier to get 1 extra rep power then as well. :p:

ReputationRep:
    But the rep calculator says:

(Original post by pig's rep calculator)
    IF rep points OR post count
    pos rep = neg rep = 0
    I take it then that how power is worked out has changed?

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't have always been like that otherwise we'd all be at 0 still. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Which was my point :p: I just felt like starting a discussion tbh... I guess I was hoping for something more interesting like all the admins started with 1000 or something...

ReputationRep:
    Sadly not. Unless they kept it quiet. :eek: I think back then you could earn 1 rep power for every 100 posts you make without needing a certain amount of rep points. :p:

Though my memory is a blur from back then, so i may be mistaken. :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vector)
    But the rep calculator states quite clearly:

I take it then that how power is worked out has changed?
    That is pig's rep calculator, and rep existed from before the pig era ;yes;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPK)
    Sadly not. Unless they kept it quiet. :eek: I think back then you could earn 1 rep power for every 100 posts you make without needing a certain amount of rep points. :p:

Though my memory is a blur from back then, so i may be mistaken. :hmmmm:
    Shame. Hoping for another iPod scandal :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    That is pig's rep calculator, and rep existed from before the pig era ;yes;
    though if we're being pedantic the algorithm could have existed prior to the calculator.

ReputationRep:
    I think algothirm was changed when gold gems came about IIRC...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Post count gives you a rep power of one.

ReputationRep:
    Back when I was an ickle newbie, we started with 10 rep, and had rep power when we had 150 posts and 20+ rep. About a year ago it was changed so we started on 100 rep and needed 150 posts and 110 rep to have rep power. This did have one minor downside in that it's no longer possible to receive a pos rep of 1 (once you have pos rep power, the minimum you can have is 2)

The algorithm has changed very slightly over time, but to my knowledge there's never been anything too drastic done to it
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    back in the dark ages everyone started on 10 rep points, and so long as you had 10 rep points then after a hundred or so posts and a month or so you started building rep power

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.