Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Or to be more exact "Ex-telewest Broadband" seeing as virgin bought them out. We've just signed up since it was recommended to us by several people, and no line rental or socket made it cheaper. BUT i keep getting sever lag spikes evey 10 minutes or so, then it gets back fine and dandy...and im not sure what could be causing it. Anyone got any ideas? Or is anyone suffering from similar performance (im in London, Camden fui). I'm going to ring them up tomorrow, but i thought id try poking some brains aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acore)
    Or to be more exact "Ex-telewest Broadband" seeing as virgin bought them out. We've just signed up since it was recommended to us by several people, and no line rental or socket made it cheaper. BUT i keep getting sever lag spikes evey 10 minutes or so, then it gets back fine and dandy...and im not sure what could be causing it. Anyone got any ideas? Or is anyone suffering from similar performance (im in London, Camden fui). I'm going to ring them up tomorrow, but i thought id try poking some brains aswell.
    It is quite laggy up here in the North East. You may not have heard about the Virgin Media Trafficking system they could have in your area, it certainly is up here.

I am on 2mb a second and if I download over 500mb in the space of 4 hours, they cut my speed down to 1mb a second for another 4 hours. I have heard this is nation wide, but it is really annoying for people like myself who use the Internet quite a bit for work.

ReputationRep:
    The throtling isnt too bad. Personally I can't wait to get back to my cable connection at uni. Even when its cut to half its speed (20 > ~10mbit) its still miles faster that my parents ADSL (<allegedly> just under 8mbit).

I've never seen any lag spikes on the Norwich/Pete gateways, but its entirely dependant on your areas usage.

ReputationRep:
    I am on the same line to the local primary school who uses Virgin Media, getting on during school hours can sometimes be a big disaster.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.