Can someone explain EPQ?

Watch this thread
brainzistheword
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I didn't go to college but I'm curious to know about the EPQ? How do students go about choosing a topic/subject and what sort of thing does it involve?

How much work is involved and is it classroom and home based, or purely classroom or home?

Any info you've got will be great (I'm just curious that's all)
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by brainzistheword)
Hi, I didn't go to college but I'm curious to know about the EPQ? How do students go about choosing a topic/subject and what sort of thing does it involve?

How much work is involved and is it classroom and home based, or purely classroom or home?

Any info you've got will be great (I'm just curious that's all)
I did an EPQ with AQA, and with AQA, there are 2 formats you can pick from for your project:

1 - a 5000 word essay
2 - an artefact (e.g. a sculpture, piece of music, short video etc) and a 1000 word report

In addition to the essay or artefact plus you report, you also do:

• A log book - this is a document in which you write about your project, e.g. what you've done so far, what you plan to do next, what has gone well/badly and any comments your supervisor has given you. There are templates with instructions available online, so it's not something you have to create from scratch.
  • A 10-15 minute oral presentation - this is about your project, e.g. what your topic was, what you researched and found out, why you decided to do the EPQ, any skills you gained from it, setbacks you encountered etc.

The project is largely independent, as you complete the research, essay/report, log book and presentation yourself. However, you also need to meet with your supervisor throughout your project to gain feedback (to put into the log book) and to ask for help if you need it.

Generally the topic you choose is related to the degree you want to do afterwards, and/or is something which interests you. Topics which contain an element of debate or argument (i.e. where you can research and write up arguments for and against a topic to answer your overall question) are usually the best, as essays which are purely or mostly descriptive don't tend to gain very high marks.

I hope that helps
rosie.mn
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
It's short for 'extended project qualifation' and gives students an opportunity to work on a project close to their hearts, central to their passions or perhaps related to their university courses. It's designed to extend their knowledge and provides them with a chance to enrich themselves. It is worth UCAS points, I believe an A* is 28 and is equivalent to an AS level, however A*s are achieveable.
There are different types; artefact, dissertation being the most common. Artefact is where you design something, and disseration is a written project consisting of 6,000 word essay and research and planning.
I chose my subject based on the a levels I do: history, english lit, philosophy and politics, and expanded on something very niche but not too open. I will be writing mine on the Beat Generation and it's impact on America politically. I though this would be apt as I wish to study History and Politics at University and I am also interested in literature. It will make for an interesting discussion on my PS and university interviews if I'm lucky enough to get one!
It varies from school to school, we have 2 opportunities to do them. In y12 from Jan-May or in y13 from july to November. We have one lesson a week which is compulsory to attend and it basically guides us through the process. But a lot of it is independent research and writing.
Due to the fact it is worth 28 UCAS points University offers can be lowered! I hope this helped.
brainzistheword
Rep:
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
I did an EPQ with AQA, and with AQA, there are 2 formats you can pick from for your project:

1 - a 5000 word essay
2 - an artefact (e.g. a sculpture, piece of music, short video etc) and a 1000 word report

• A log book - this is a document in which you write about your project, e.g. what you've done so far, what you plan to do next, what has gone well/badly and any comments your supervisor has given you. There are templates with instructions available online, so it's not something you have to create from scratch.
  • A 10-15 minute oral presentation - this is about your project, e.g. what your topic was, what you researched and found out, why you decided to do the EPQ, any skills you gained from it, setbacks you encountered etc.

The project is largely independent, as you complete the research, essay/report, log book and presentation yourself. However, you also need to meet with your supervisor throughout your project to gain feedback (to put into the log book) and to ask for help if you need it.

Generally the topic you choose is related to the degree you want to do afterwards, and/or is something which interests you. Topics which contain an element of debate or argument (i.e. where you can research and write up arguments for and against a topic to answer your overall question) are usually the best, as essays which are purely or mostly descriptive don't tend to gain very high marks.

I hope that helps
Ah I see! Thanks for all this information!

What was the topic of your EPQ?
AGBF
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

1 - a 5000 word essay

I hope that helps
Did you do your report on Word?How many chapters did you do?Thx
username2088165
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Ah I see! Thanks for all this information!

What was the topic of your EPQ?
My project was based on theories for the extinction of the dinosaurs. I researched the most popular theories for the dinosaur extinction (e.g. a global ice age, large-scale volcanic activity etc) then compared them to the asteroid impact theory, which is the most widely accepted. Then I reached a conclusion on whether the asteroid impact theory was actually the most likely
username2088165
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AGBF)
Did you do your report on Word?How many chapters did you do?Thx
Yes, I typed up my project on Word. My project was on the theories for the extinction of the dinosaurs, so I split up my project into sections, which were basically:
  • Introduction to the project
  • An overview of the dinosaur extinction theories
  • Each theory in more detail with supporting and opposing evidence for each
  • A comparison of each theory with the asteroid impact theory (the most widely accepted theory)
  • Conclusion on whether the asteroid theory was the most likely
  • Bibliography (kept separate from the rest of the project)
brainzistheword
Rep:
(Original post by rosie.mn)
It's short for 'extended project qualifation' and gives students an opportunity to work on a project close to their hearts, central to their passions or perhaps related to their university courses. It's designed to extend their knowledge and provides them with a chance to enrich themselves. It is worth UCAS points, I believe an A* is 28 and is equivalent to an AS level, however A*s are achieveable.
There are different types; artefact, dissertation being the most common. Artefact is where you design something, and disseration is a written project consisting of 6,000 word essay and research and planning.
I chose my subject based on the a levels I do: history, english lit, philosophy and politics, and expanded on something very niche but not too open. I will be writing mine on the Beat Generation and it's impact on America politically. I though this would be apt as I wish to study History and Politics at University and I am also interested in literature. It will make for an interesting discussion on my PS and university interviews if I'm lucky enough to get one!
It varies from school to school, we have 2 opportunities to do them. In y12 from Jan-May or in y13 from july to November. We have one lesson a week which is compulsory to attend and it basically guides us through the process. But a lot of it is independent research and writing.
Due to the fact it is worth 28 UCAS points University offers can be lowered! I hope this helped.
Thank you for this! And I bet you'll get a uni interview!

Is it a popular qualification to get at college? Like, do loads of people from your classes do the EPQ?
brainzistheword
Rep:
My project was based on theories for the extinction of the dinosaurs. I researched the most popular theories for the dinosaur extinction (e.g. a global ice age, large-scale volcanic activity etc) then compared them to the asteroid impact theory, which is the most widely accepted. Then I reached a conclusion on whether the asteroid impact theory was actually the most likely
Yes, I typed up my project on Word. My project was on the theories for the extinction of the dinosaurs, so I split up my project into sections, which were basically:
  • Introduction to the project
  • An overview of the dinosaur extinction theories
  • Each theory in more detail with supporting and opposing evidence for each
  • A comparison of each theory with the asteroid impact theory (the most widely accepted theory)
  • Conclusion on whether the asteroid theory was the most likely
  • Bibliography (kept separate from the rest of the project)
That sounds like a really interesting topic! Is the EPQ something you can only do at a college or under the guidance of a teacher, or do you reckon someone could do it off their own back, perhaps with a mentor found through alternative means?
username2088165
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
That sounds like a really interesting topic! Is the EPQ something you can only do at a college or under the guidance of a teacher, or do you reckon someone could do it off their own back, perhaps with a mentor found through alternative means?
I'm afraid I don't know much about doing EPQ as a private candidate, I'd suggest having a look to find out if any exam boards offer the EPQ to private candidates (I don't think AQA do)
brainzistheword
Rep:
I'm afraid I don't know much about doing EPQ as a private candidate, I'd suggest having a look to find out if any exam boards offer the EPQ to private candidates (I don't think AQA do)
Ah ok, no worries, I'll do a bit of investigating
rosie.mn
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Thank you for this! And I bet you'll get a uni interview!

Is it a popular qualification to get at college? Like, do loads of people from your classes do the EPQ?
Yes I'd say that a lot of people do them! It's increased over the years. I'd say 3/4 of our year complete one. A very high percentage get A*s too.
brainzistheword
Rep:
(Original post by rosie.mn)
Yes I'd say that a lot of people do them! It's increased over the years. I'd say 3/4 of our year complete one. A very high percentage get A*s too.
Wow ok, more than I imagined then!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.18%
The paper was reasonable (269)
41.26%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.2%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
7.36%

Watched Threads