Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The Dentistry Reform Act 2007 - Labour Party

A Bill to reform the training and employment of Dentists in the United Kingdom

Background Information

1. After dental reforms it is estimated that 2 million people still cannot gain access to an NHS dentist.

2. In a recent poll 95% of dentists felt less confident about the future of NHS dentistry than they did two years ago.

3. At present many dentists are having to turn away NHS patients due to lack of funding.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. An increase of places to dentistry courses in the United Kingdoms universities of 100 dental places per year for the next 5 years.

2. The gradual introduction of dental health centres similar to that of medical health centres guaranteeing the general public access to NHS treatment.

3. Increased payment benfits to dentists who work in rural areas ensuring that people who live in these areas are able to access dental care. This will provisionally be and increase of 15% of the individual dentist or practices monthly salary

4. In order to encourage newly qualified dentists to work for the NHS a bursary system is to be introduced. The government provides a dental bursary in exchange that the newly qualified dentist work for the NHS for 5 years before it is possible for them to have the option of going private. This system would operate in the same sense as the Scottish Executives. This Bursary as is currently under the Scottish system will be £4,000 from the second year onwards.

5. This act will affect England and Wales as of September 2008.

It's worth pointing out that Dentists don't so much turn away NHS patients because of lack of funding, but because they can make more money by treating private patients.

I still don't like the fact that the NHS doesn't provide free dentistry - why isn't this bill attempting to tackle that?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 100% sure what point one is saying. Is it a proposal to force universities to take more students if so I'm very much opposed. Otherwise I have no objections.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by alasdair_R)
    It's worth pointing out that Dentists don't so much turn away NHS patients because of lack of funding, but because they can make more money by treating private patients.

I still don't like the fact that the NHS doesn't provide free dentistry - why isn't this bill attempting to tackle that?
    Becuase that is a separate issue and not the one trying to be tackled here.

Your issue is about changing the way dental treatment is provided.

This bill is about ensuring everyone who wants NHS dental treatment can get it. Only once you can ensure NHS dental treatment should you go abotu chaging the way it is provided/funded other wsie you seriously run the risk of causing more problems. No point going for a massive leap if there isn't a solid base to jump from. Currently the dental service in the country is pretty much a joke in terms of access to the service. You can't look at anythign else without tackling that first.

ReputationRep:
    How would Point 1 (the increasing of places) actually work in practice?

ReputationRep:
    Point one would operate by providing universities with the funding to take on more students. Dental schools in the UK have closed in the past. For example Edinburgh Dental School, which now only operates as a post graduate centre. Re-pening this up to undergraduate study would help increase the number of NHS Dentists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nefarious)
    I'm not 100% sure what point one is saying. Is it a proposal to force universities to take more students if so I'm very much opposed. Otherwise I have no objections.
    It won't be forcing schools to take more students. It will opperate in a similar way to the increase in medical students a few years back worked. The government will make funding available for dental schools to apply for so that they can increase there intake if they wish. No one will be forced to take more students.

ReputationRep:
    With that being the case I'd have no problem supporting this. Maybe the bill should say what it means a little more clearly.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Nefarious)
    With that being the case I'd have no problem supporting this. Maybe the bill should say what it means a little more clearly.
    If for the government to state exaclty how the increase will happen? Or should that be left up to the relevant bodies who organise dental training to decide how it is bes done in relation with the Dpeartment for Health?

That is an honest question....what happened with the medical school stuff? Was a bill passed which stated we will get x more medcal school and r, s andt mor eplaces and these emdical schools? Or was it said simply that there will funding for z more places on medicine courses?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Should this not be at vote now?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's stupidly late, sorry about that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 8, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.