The Student Room Group

Does it count as retaking if I don't take the final exam?

I'm currently doing AS and am struggling. I've researched that most unis for medical courses don't accept students who have retaken A Levels.
So I was wondering what if it gets to May/June and I simply don't take my exams (I know I'll get a bad grade tbh) and just do AS again from September, as still get offers for most unis?

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by saranini
I'm currently doing AS and am struggling. I've researched that most unis for medical courses don't accept students who have retaken A Levels.
So I was wondering what if it gets to May/June and I simply don't take my exams (I know I'll get a bad grade tbh) and just do AS again from September, as still get offers for most unis?

Yes it does, as you will have retaken the time period in which you started AS. The vast majority of medical schools want A-Levels taken over two years, and this year will still be on your reference and your education history, where you started AS.

Hiya,

I really struggled with AS further maths last year and ended up not doing any of the exams. I was really worried that I'd have to put it on my UCAS but my school said that I didn't have to as I hadn't done the exams. I guess if you did the AS again then it would count as if you are doing the exams for the first time. :smile:
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hiya,

I really struggled with AS further maths last year and ended up not doing any of the exams. I was really worried that I'd have to put it on my UCAS but my school said that I didn't have to as I hadn't done the exams. I guess if you did the AS again then it would count as if you are doing the exams for the first time. :smile:

How is he going to explain the whole year of his life where he did 'nothing at all' and didn't take any exams? The school will have to put this year on his reference as well. You did the rest of your exams within the year, the OP wouldn't be taking any at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Glassapple
How is he going to explain the whole year of his life where he did 'nothing at all' and didn't take any exams? The school will have to put this year on his reference as well. You did the rest of your exams within the year, the OP wouldn't be taking any at all.

Yes sorry, just realised that I didn't read OP'S question properly. If you do have to retake the year then you will have to declare it with a reason. Remember there's still plenty of time to do well :smile:
Reply 5
Yes it does, as you will have retaken the time period in which you started AS. The vast majority of medical schools want A-Levels taken over two years, and this year will still be on your reference and your education history, where you started AS.

So its still retaking whether or not I take the exam?
Reply 6
Yes sorry, just realised that I didn't read OP'S question properly. If you do have to retake the year then you will have to declare it with a reason. Remember there's still plenty of time to do well :smile:

Ah thanks for answering. I've been getting bad grades so far on mocks and my teacher suggested to retake, even with the exams far away :frown:
So its still retaking whether or not I take the exam?

Yes, as you have been registered at an education centre. Your unique learner number (google it) has been registered at your school for this academic year; the school will have to put it on your reference. Even if they didn't, how would you try and explain away the year when you were 16/17 and did absolutely nothing, with no job reference or anything else, to the universities?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Yes, as you have been registered at an education centre. Your unique learner number (google it) has been registered at your school for this academic year; the school will have to put it on your reference. Even if they didn't, how would you try and explain away the year when you were 16/17 and did absolutely nothing, with no job reference or anything else, to the universities?

Well I'm going to use the extra year to try to bring my grades up, not do nothing.
Well I'm going to use the extra year to try to bring my grades up, not do nothing.

Then that counts as an extra year doing AS, which counts as another attempt, a retake in time, e.g: 'A levels in three subjects taken at one sitting, usually after 2 years of study'

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-and-surgery-mbchb/entry-requirements/
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah thanks for answering. I've been getting bad grades so far on mocks and my teacher suggested to retake, even with the exams far away :frown:

What subjects do you do? I felt like this last year but when you start to do past papers your exam technique will really improve or you'll find out a revision technique that works for you. Don't lose hope yet :smile:
Reply 11
Then that counts as an extra year doing AS, which counts as another attempt, a retake in time.

I see... Thanks for answering anyway

Are your teachers offering additional help? It's far too early to be talking about resitting the year ...

Are you sure you can stay on - we only get funding for two years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
What subjects do you do? I felt like this last year but when you start to do past papers your exam technique will really improve or you'll find out a revision technique that works for you. Don't lose hope yet :smile:

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and English Lit. I might still have hope on getting an A in English Lit but its the sciences I'm struggling most with, especially Chem :/
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
Are your teachers offering additional help? It's far too early to be talking about resitting the year ...

I guess so, I got Us in my mocks :frown: so some teachers lost all hope for this year
I see... Thanks for answering anyway

See my edited post with a quote from Liverpool about time. Most medical schools expect a fourth subject at AS and it seems you're only doing three.
I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and English Lit. I might still have hope on getting an A in English Lit but its the sciences I'm struggling most with, especially Chem :/

If you are struggling badly with sciences (getting Us in mocks), then medicine is probably not a suitable degree? A medical degree is basically biology and chemistry for 5 years. Also, the overwhelming majority of medical schools will want the A2 sat within the 2 years of commencing- note the time limit.

The only way which three years studying for A-levels may be accepted for medicine is if you had convincing mitigating circumstances (and external proof of it). This could be serious illness for instance.

I think you need to be honest with yourself here. Medicine is fiercely competive and many students with four of five (and more) A-levels at A* fail to gain admission.
(edited 7 years ago)
I guess so, I got Us in my mocks :frown: so some teachers lost all hope for this year

How are you doing in class and homework?

I do chemistry A2 and it is a big step up from GCSE- it is completely normal to be getting a U in the mock. Your technique will improve with time and practice so make sure you're getting all the help you need from teachers or using additional sources such as YouTube and revision guides. Try and stick it out but if you really feel like it isn't for you then it may be time to think about other options :smile:
I have a friend that said he was"ill" when it came to his AS Physics and guess what? he didn't get a grade in it. If all you subjects are linear i.e you will do As content in your final a2, you will have to stage it though, doctors notes etc and it can't just be a headache. Im not recommending this but just keep it in mind. Btw if your failing your AS you need to really think if medicine is for you. Next year it will be 60% harder and your AS stuff will come and haunt you. Just saying

Quick Reply

Latest