Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I joined a gym exactly a week ago and ive been 5 times since then, burning on average 300 calories over an hour and a half. i genereally have 2 meals a day with a few snacks, like a biscuit or ice cream, anyways, i havent even lost a pound yet!? how much will i have to do to actually lose some weight?

im 5ft 7 and i weigh 10st.... oh and im female lol

ReputationRep:
    300 cals over 1.5 hours seems pretty gentle to me (i was burning 300 in 40 mins when i first started [i was 246lbs and hadn't exercised for several years])
    you should be keeping your HR at a decent rate - if you don't want to kill yourself by the time you get off the machine you're not doing it right :p:

also, exercise doesn't help much without a diet too (i'm told)

ReputationRep:
    im asthmatic so i cant do as much as other people. and i think my diet is okay...
    ive eaten today, cereal, a little homemade cake, an apple, pasta, ice cream.

ReputationRep:
    On average how many calories are you eating a day? Find what your BMR is and that should be a good guide as to how much you should be eating.
    Maybe cut out the biscuits and only have them occasionally, have some raw veg or a yogurt. Also maybe increase your meals.
    300 calories is fine but make sure your diet is good.
    I've lost over two and a half stone by just watching what I eat, I do still have the odd bit of chocolate if I've got calories left over. Making sure I do atleast 30 minutes of exercise a day although I normally do more. Also for the last two weeks I've stopped eating after 7 and that's really helped. What weight do you want to get down to?
    Oh yeah, make sure you're drinking plenty of water.
    Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll lose weight soon if you're determined enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tailz)
    im asthmatic so i cant do as much as other people. and i think my diet is okay...
    So mostly carbs and sugar, no protein. That's bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tailz)
    Yeah, you really need to sort out your diet. cake and ice cream are ok once in a while but everyday it's going to be bad for you.
    Make sure you're eating atleast 3 meals a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tailz)
    Hum.

1) I'm asthmatic and I do as much as anyone else. I use my inhaler an hour before I go to the gym and take another inhaler with me in case of emergency. I make sure I stay very hydrated so my throat doesn't get dry and make me panic.

Start off slow and steady. For example on the treadmill, walking at speed 6.5 on an incline of 9. This won't push you to running and a possible attack but believe me you will feel it - in your legs. Then, graduate to running. I find that I can do 30 minutes on treadmill at speed 9.5, gradient 1 before I start to feel unsafe, asthma-wise.

Strangely, none of the other machines pose a threat to me. If you go at a pace of around 65 - 70 reps per minute on most of them, you break into a sweat and feel it in your muscles but don't get too out of breath. You can probably do more than you think.

2) What type of cereal, how much with whole, semi-skimmed or skimmed milk? Make sure you're eating a cereal without sugar such as weetabix or shredded wheat. Skimmed milk has less calories but a little less semi-skimmed is better for you.

'A little' means nothing. Portion sizes are everything. Cake is the enemy of weight loss. So is ice cream. Especially every day. If you must have them, work out what a portion size is, work out the calories. 'Some', 'a little' and 'a few bites of' mean that you don't actually KNOW how much you're eating.

You're missing either a lunch or a dinner there. You could have cut out the cake and icecream and had a whole other meal. Skipping meals in order to eat sugary, saturated fats will just ruin your blood sugar levels and make you hungrier. Also, where are your other 4 portions of fruit/veg?

Start really monitoring what you eat. SO many people think their diet is 'ok' but grossly underestimate how unhealthy it is.

3) You've been to the gym 5 times. Weight loss will come more gradually than that.

ReputationRep:
    Well before doing this gym thing i stopped eating chocolate (Sept last year) since then i have gone from 11st 7 to 10st. So thats quite a loss in itself. Went from a size 16 to a size 12. But i want to get to a size 10. So i want to get from 10st to 9st 3 before christmas.

I eat rice crispies with semi skimmed milk. Also to the asthmatic thing, i'm still burning more than my friends that i go with. (Ones 8st and ones same as me)

Cake isnt a regular thing, i made them so thats why i ate them.

I do not eat vegetables. I never have. They make me sick, im allergic to a lot.

I like fruit. I cant eat fruit. I am allergic to most.

Yes i miss out meals but thats because i eat breakfast around 9 and then im not hungry til 3/4 so i make my food and eat it about 5.

I will take the advice of not eating after 7 though, i do tend to eat then.
    Also as to the weight loss being more gradual, thats cool.

Like today for instance i have eaten...

Rice cripsies, Pizza and chips, Apple. Yep thats it lol. But no gym today so i cant eat that much.

ReputationRep:
    Rice crispies are full of sugar and are not the best cereal to be having for a start. Also pizza and chips are not really that good on a diet in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    yeh i know the pizza and chips thing but it was a treat, its the first time ive had chips all week.

ReputationRep:
    You really need to incorporate more protein and lose most of the carbs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tailz)
    yeh i know the pizza and chips thing but it was a treat, its the first time ive had chips all week.
    Yeah but you had cake and ice cream yeterday lol :p:

But well done on losing 1.5stone! Wish I could eat ****e and lose weight like that!

ReputationRep:
    People seem to be tip-toeing around the issue (which is unusual for the Fitness forums).... but your diet is CRAP.

You need to do two things:

1. Sort out your diet.

2. Sort out your exercise.

Diet is the most important issue.

Which vegetables are you not allergic to? You should learn to eat them (hopefully they will include some green veg). They are full of nutrients which your body needs whilst containing less sugar than fruit and are also filling (which makes them a good alternative to the carbs you're currently chowing down).

You need to cut down your sugar intake (which means your bad carb intake). Look on any food packaging and you'll see 'Carbohydrates: x grams, of which sugars y grams'. Rice Crispies are about as nutritious as the box them come in - although they have more sugar. Cake, pizza, chips, etc - all lovely I am sure, but again - you should try to cut them out if you want to improve your diet.

Instead you need to eat more protein. Chicken, tuna, lentils, turkey, etc. For breakfast, try porridge or at least a lower sugar alternative to your current choice.

The carbs you do eat should be complex carbs. Brown rice and brown bread, vegetables, wholegrains etc. And, again, vegetables.

Exercise... well I am not asthmatic, but I have friends who are and who workout normally. Having said that, 300 cals a session isn't the END of the world, but it's not really much. Still, if you try to up that gradually you'll be fine. Nail the diet first though - seriously, you are currently eating very very badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sehnsucht)
    People seem to be tip-toeing around the issue (which is unusual for the Fitness forums).... but your diet is CRAP.

You need to do two things:

1. Sort out your diet.

2. Sort out your exercise.

Diet is the most important issue.

Which vegetables are you not allergic to? You should learn to eat them (hopefully they will include some green veg). They are full of nutrients which your body needs whilst containing less sugar than fruit and are also filling (which makes them a good alternative to the carbs you're currently chowing down).

You need to cut down your sugar intake (which means your bad carb intake). Look on any food packaging and you'll see 'Carbohydrates: x grams, of which sugars y grams'. Rice Crispies are about as nutritious as the box them come in - although they have more sugar. Cake, pizza, chips, etc - all lovely I am sure, but again - you should try to cut them out if you want to improve your diet.

Instead you need to eat more protein. Chicken, tuna, lentils, turkey, etc. For breakfast, try porridge or at least a lower sugar alternative to your current choice.

The carbs you do eat should be complex carbs. Brown rice and brown bread, vegetables, wholegrains etc. And, again, vegetables.

Exercise... well I am not asthmatic, but I have friends who are and who workout normally. Having said that, 300 cals a session isn't the END of the world, but it's not really much. Still, if you try to up that gradually you'll be fine. Nail the diet first though - seriously, you are currently eating very very badly.

Well on a sunday i manage to eat cabbage, cawliflower, brocolli, peas and ill prob have an apple so ill get my 5 a day there.

those and beans are the only vegetables i can eat. lol. i dont like any of them though but i will try to eat more.

Fruit, i can eat Apples, Grapes. About it. Horribly allergic to blackcurrent. ewww.

Protein, theres a problem, allergic to chicken, turkey. Not keen on meat in general, makes me ill.

Carbs, cant eat brown bread dont eat rice lol.

Sugar intake, i dont have as much as my friends but ill try to cut down but i have to have enough so i dont fient. (i tend to blackout if i dont eat enough sugar but im not diabetic ) ive been tested 11 times now, my docs convinced i am lol.

Excersise, yeh im going tomorrow, gonna try do 400 (thats only on the ones that count) so far ive done 200, 250, 300, 400, 320.

Oh btw before you say go to a dietician, been there done that, she said just stay away from the foods i couldnt eat and make the best of it. lol.

oooh ooh p.s yes i have a lot of health problems, ive been in and out of hospital for years. sucks but im making the best of it.

ReputationRep:
    Glad to see your making the best of what you can eat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tailz)
    Well on a sunday i manage to eat cabbage, cawliflower, brocolli, peas and ill prob have an apple so ill get my 5 a day there.

those and beans are the only vegetables i can eat. lol. i dont like any of them though but i will try to eat more.

Fruit, i can eat Apples, Grapes. About it. Horribly allergic to blackcurrent. ewww.

Protein, theres a problem, allergic to chicken, turkey. Not keen on meat in general, makes me ill.

Carbs, cant eat brown bread dont eat rice lol.

Sugar intake, i dont have as much as my friends but ill try to cut down but i have to have enough so i dont fient. (i tend to blackout if i dont eat enough sugar but im not diabetic ) ive been tested 11 times now, my docs convinced i am lol.

Excersise, yeh im going tomorrow, gonna try do 400 (thats only on the ones that count) so far ive done 200, 250, 300, 400, 320.

Oh btw before you say go to a dietician, been there done that, she said just stay away from the foods i couldnt eat and make the best of it. lol.

oooh ooh p.s yes i have a lot of health problems, ive been in and out of hospital for years. sucks but im making the best of it.
    1) Ok. So. You have some dietary issues. That's a problem but it's not insurmountable. Just remember that if you have cake/icecream on day then don't have pizza/chips the next. One day per week as a 'treat' day (I hate calling it a 'cheat' day because that implies doing something horrible and leads to guilt) in which you let yourself have icecream, cake, pizza or chips (but please god not all four) will help you keep a lid on things.

You can drink milk, eat eggs fish and cheese and expriment with the huge range of veggies out there you may not yet have tried. Make healthier choices - frozen grapes instead of icecream, baked potato instead of chips, weetabix with skim milk instead of rice crispies. Carbs... have you tried rye bread, spelt bread or any of the other alternatives to bread?

2) Machines in the gym are notoriously random in their calorie counting. Do it by minutes/hours rather than calories.

3) What your friends eat/how your friends gym is obviously of interest to you but you have different needs to your friends. If you are doing what they do and not getting the results that you want, you need to work harder.

ReputationRep:
    Switch to playing squash, that burns something like 1200 an hour :eek: . If you dont fancy that try the cross trainer which i believe is around 800 but is substancially more boring :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    1) Ok. So. You have some dietary issues. That's a problem but it's not insurmountable. Just remember that if you have cake/icecream on day then don't have pizza/chips the next. One day per week as a 'treat' day (I hate calling it a 'cheat' day because that implies doing something horrible and leads to guilt) in which you let yourself have icecream, cake, pizza or chips (but please god not all four) will help you keep a lid on things.

You can drink milk, eat eggs fish and cheese and expriment with the huge range of veggies out there you may not yet have tried. Make healthier choices - frozen grapes instead of icecream, baked potato instead of chips, weetabix with skim milk instead of rice crispies. Carbs... have you tried rye bread, spelt bread or any of the other alternatives to bread?

2) Machines in the gym are notoriously random in their calorie counting. Do it by minutes/hours rather than calories.

3) What your friends eat/how your friends gym is obviously of interest to you but you have different needs to your friends. If you are doing what they do and not getting the results that you want, you need to work harder.
    Yeah true, i think i get annoyed because all my friends eat way worse than me and one wieghs 8st, one weighs 6st13 one weights 9st and the other weighs 8st. I just get upset that they eat ****e n i cant, they eat like chocolate and shizz all day. grrr.

And can you explain the minute/hours thing?

I like bread so i dont think ill get rid of that lol sorry. I love milk i have loads, i also like youghurt. i hate eggs tho so ill be stayin away from those lol. I eat fish around twice a week... actually here an average weeks eating

day 1: rice crispies, pasta and ham, apple, yoghurt, 2 biscuits
    day 2 rice crispies, pizza and chips and beans, apple, Flapjack
    day 3 rice crispies, fish and chips and peas, yoghurt, ice cream
    day 4 rice crispies, jacket potato with ham, apple, 3 biscuits
    day 5 rice crispies, fish/pizza with mash/new potatoes, Flapjack
    day 6 rice crispies, something random possibly cheese pie with ham. ice cream youghurt.
    day 7, rice crispies, sunday roast inc either steak/pork mash potato, peas, brocolli, cawliflower, 2 yorkshire puddings, cabbage. (This is all only a child's portion, i cant eat lots of food.) A treat such as apple crumble or ice cream or both lol.

Also around two days a week ill fit in a cheese and ham sandwich or crisps or both.

lol so its not terrible. When i ate chocolate i had.. .wait for it.... 5 BARS A DAY! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by castroneves)
    Switch to playing squash, that burns something like 1200 an hour :eek: . If you dont fancy that try the cross trainer which i believe is around 800 but is substancially more boring :P
    whats a cross trainer? and squash might be fun..lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tailz)
    whats a cross trainer? and squash might be fun..lol
    The machine where it looks like you're skiing:p:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.