The Student Room Group

I have no friends! :(

I'm 18 and I feel so lonely. Im on a gap year and I get so upset looking at everyone having a great time with their friends while my best friend left me for her boyfriend. I feel so hopeless, Ive been single all my life and I really cant describe how lonely I feel! :frown: . Does anyone have any solutions?

Scroll to see replies

Omg awww. I guess cause youre on your gap year youre doing work experience right?
Reply 2
Original post by Hajra Momoniat
Omg awww. I guess cause youre on your gap year youre doing work experience right?

Yeahh!
So have you made any friends there
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 18 and I feel so lonely. Im on a gap year and I get so upset looking at everyone having a great time with their friends while my best friend left me for her boyfriend. I feel so hopeless, Ive been single all my life and I really cant describe how lonely I feel! :frown: . Does anyone have any solutions?

Having no friends at 18 is quite common. I spent an entire year without friends, and then I just met new people. You can try with a new hobby, step out of your comfort zone. It will be alright, I promise :smile:
Reply 5
So have you made any friends there

Noo, they're all a lot older than me. Like they're friendly but not exactly friends.
Reply 6
Original post by _mitigantsea
Having no friends at 18 is quite common. I spent an entire year without friends, and then I just met new people. You can try with a new hobby, step out of your comfort zone. It will be alright, I promise :smile:

I would love to get a new hobby. What would you suggest seeing as i'm 18? Thanks
hmmm. well have you contacted you best friend recently?
I'm 18 and in the final year of a-levels and I don't ever see any of the people who claim to be my 'friends', they all do things without me and don't put any effort into our friendship. No plans at all this christmas and don't even have anywhere to go or anyone to go with for new years. Actually looking forward to university so I can get away and meet new people so I'm not stuck in alone all the time. I know how it feels and it sucks, just gotta look forward to the future i guess, that's what I try and do anyway.
Don't worry :smile:
There is always a silver lining in every cloud, and there will come a day when new new opportunities will arise, new chapters shall be written, and ultimately, new friendships will be forged!
You will find new friends, don't worry :smile:

" So I close
my eyes to old ends
and open
my heart to
new beginnings."
- Nick Fredrickson

:smile:
hmmm. well have you contacted you best friend recently?

Many times, I normally get blanked.
Don't worry :smile:
There is always a silver lining in every cloud, and there will come a day when new new opportunities will arise, new chapters shall be written, and ultimately, new friendships will be forged!
You will find new friends, don't worry :smile:

" So I close
my eyes to old ends
and open
my heart to
new beginnings."
- Nick Fredrickson

:smile:

I really do hope so. Thanks for the kind words. :smile:
Hopefully it will improve when you go to uni. Until then, at your work experience, why don't you suggest everyone goes out for a drink or something after work one day? You can say you want to get to know everyone better away from work and can offer to buy the first round or something?

Just be as outgoing as you can. Try and arrange stuff and try and go along with whatever is organised elsewhere that you might often avoid going to. Other than that, try joining clubs as mentioned before. Do you play/have any interest in sports? Musical instruments? And then again, once you're in there be proactive and invite people out

Omg are you me? I'm on a gap year,I feel the exact same except I try not to let it get to me...

You should PM me, we could be fwends :smile:
I would love to get a new hobby. What would you suggest seeing as i'm 18? Thanks

It depends on where you live! Things are a little more difficult if you are in a little village. You can try a sport (especially a team sport), see if there is a book club, art classes, volounteering...
I don't have many friends either atm. It's great, less people to get let down by. Although having ZERO friends is a bit of a bummer. I'm generally a lone wolf and am well used to it. The way I see it, I'm an alpha bog, a natural leader, an intellectual, a visionary haha and a BS'er. The greatest minds and most successful rulers never had many friends, just underlings.

Whenever I've wanted to make friends though I just go to as many sports clubs as possible. Works pretty well seeing as that's why a lot of other people go there, the friends you make aren't so flakey.
It's better having no friends than having terrible friends who drag you down
Original post by _mitigantsea
It depends on where you live! Things are a little more difficult if you are in a little village. You can try a sport (especially a team sport), see if there is a book club, art classes, volounteering...

I'm in London, cant seem to find anything though
I'm in London, cant seem to find anything though

How about an adult beginners dance class at Pineapple? There are classes for all dance styles eg, Tap, Hip Hop, Ballet, Contemporary etc. In my day it was just classes and auditions for professional dancers, but over the last few decades they have opened up their studios to amateur dancers, and even absolute beginners.
I think everyone goes through a friendless stage in their life at some point.
Use it to work on yourself, find out new things about yourself, try new things.
Activities in your area possibly? Is here a community centre or something close by which has sports or other classes that you can partake in? You make good friends here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending