The Student Room Group

Do Muslims often marry outside their religion?

How common is it for a Muslim to marry outside of their religion? Like how many percent do it in the UK? I mean without anyone converting or anything.

Is it more common for them to marry outside religion in the same race, or outside race in the same religion? Which is usually a bigger taboo?

Scroll to see replies

Very unlikely to happen with practicing Muslims, although males are allowed to marry non Muslims
Reply 2
Original post by OneDayIwill
Very unlikely to happen with practicing Muslims, although males are allowed to marry non Muslims

By unlikely, do you mean that only like 30% marry outside?
Or is it even less than that?

And why even though males are allowed to marry non-Muslims do they not?

^^ This
Reply 4

More evidence that Islam is misogynistic and holds women to a much higher standard than men. Muslim men are even allowed to drink, but their daughters and wives will be punished for drinking.
Original post by tapir
More evidence that Islam is misogynistic and holds women to a much higher standard than men. Muslim men are even allowed to drink, but their daughters and wives will be punished for drinking.

Muslim men are not allowed to drink either
Original post by Anonymous
By unlikely, do you mean that only like 30% marry outside?
Or is it even less than that?

And why even though males are allowed to marry non-Muslims do they not?

I'd say even less than that. Don't know the exact stats.

Because it's easier if you both have the same religion and beliefs, I presume.
Reply 7
In theory, but not in practice. Especially not in non-Muslim countries like the UK.
Original post by tapir
In theory, but not in practice. Especially not in non-Muslim countries like the UK.

Well then they're not practicing their religion properly :dontknow:
Not very many but I know some who have. Personally religion doesn't matter to me, I find it stupid how you can't be with someone simply because of what their beliefs are.
So maybe 15% is a better estimate?

And that's sad that religion gets in the way like that. What if you feel a connection with someone from a different religion?
strictly speaking, most muslims I know are casual muslims (same way most hindus, sikhs, christians, jewish and buddhist people are casual ie they dont give a **** about most of it except what suits them). a know a lot of muslims who have been in relationships with hindus, christians and jewish people (in fact, 3 of my aunts are white and 1 is black - all non-converts to islam).

that being said, the quran doesnt forbid marrying christians or jewish people (im not using the term jews as apparently its offensive / non-pc even though it is more convenient to type), providing they are pious and dont do haram practices
Original post by kiran.malik123
Not very many but I know some who have. Personally religion doesn't matter to me, I find it stupid how you can't be with someone simply because of what their beliefs are.

If one accepts that there is a God who is All Knowing and All Wise, and they believe that He has conveyed a religion to the people as a guidance on how to live our lives, and He has told us the following:

- Life is a test to see who is the best in deed and belief
- We were created to worship God
- We will be judged by God and put in heaven or hell due to our deeds

Then it is nonesensical to put ego and personal desires above what God has said (unless one is arrogant enough to claim that they know more than God or that their morality is better than God's or that their actions will not have consequences) - if God says we cannot do something, then we should refrain from doing it, and if God says do something, then we should strive to do that.

In this case, it should be absolutely sufficient enough for us that because God has told us something, then we should accept it with no ifs or buts, even if we didn't understand the reasoning; better yet, in this matter there is clear wisdom behind why behind Muslims are forbidden from marrying non-Muslims, so even if it wasn't forbidden, then using logic would still go against marrying non-Muslims.

For those who have chosen 'love' over religion by having an invalid marriage, then they have chosen this worldly life over God because they are chasing their Nafs, so they are severely risking their afterlife when they die...

And that's sad that religion gets in the way like that. What if you feel a connection with someone from a different religion?

It isn't sad - those who live for this worldly life are the ones who chase their desires even if it ruins them, so it is only sad to them from their perspective when others choose to live for their afterlife because they do not appreciate that this life isn't everything...
Original post by kiran.malik123
I find it stupid how you can't be with someone simply because of what their beliefs are.

So you'd be fine with dating, say, a Nazi?
Original post by Zamestaneh
It isn't sad - those who live for this worldly life are the ones who chase their desires even if it ruins them, so it is only sad to them from their perspective when others choose to live for their afterlife because they do not appreciate that this life isn't everything...

there's no afterlife tho
Original post by Palmyra
So you'd be fine with dating, say, a Nazi?

Assuming she was intelligent rather than a classless subhuman animal I would. The problem is being a Nazi has a perfect correlation with having no teeth, a meth addiction and watching NASCAR.
(edited 7 years ago)

Idk. You'll have to check the stats yourself somehow.
Others have already given answers to this.
I don't think that religion exactly gets in the way. It's easier to be with someone with same beliefs, religion especially if one is practicing.
no
Original post by ScienceFantatic
there's no afterlife tho

According to those who don't believe - which is why we ignore those who say "do what you want, religion shouldn't stop you", because they are ruining themselves, so why would one want to take advice from them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending