Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering really...

My boyfriend mentioned to me the other day that a little while back, he went to the cinema with a group of friends. Before they were allowed in, cinema staff searched all of their bags to make sure they weren't carrying any outside food or drink into the cinema. Is this allowed?

I mean, I can understand why cinemas wouldn't want us to bring outside food in, so that we buy their overpriced crap :rolleyes:. However, surely they have no right to search our bags or force us to show them what we're carrying? If they did this, could we refuse? And could they stop us from seeing a film if we've paid for a ticket and won't let them search our bags?

Has it ever happened to you?

Personally, at the cinema he was talking about, I've never had my bag searched and I'd tell them where to stick it if they tried to search me. Surely I have a right to take a bottle of water wherever I want?

hm they dont have any right to search your bag. but it is private property so they can refuse you entry for refusing the search.
    it may be in their "terms and conditions" that you do not consume outside food there, by buying the ticket youre probably accepting the terms. that parts a guess really

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure it was for food/drink and not video cameras?

As the man above said - they've the perfect right to ask to search you as a condition of entry, and you've a perfect right to tell them where to insert it, and not enter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    Are you sure it was for food/drink and not video cameras?
    Well, that's what he told me
    Either way, if they found food or drink, could they refuse you entry to the cinema?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Either way, if they found food or drink, could they refuse you entry to the cinema?
    Well I watched this prorgamme a while back ... the real hustle I think ... and part of it was about taking your own food in to the cinema. They got refused but ask to speak to the managers in each cinema and they let them in with it.

I think they try and pull a fast one but if you make a fuss they'll let you in.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, seems a little over the top... if they're doing that then they might as well demand to see people's receipts to prove that any sweets etc they've bought are from the cinema! Id be well annoyed if they asked to search my bag to be honest. I can understand why they do it in clubs etc, and am perfectly happy to co-operate with that, but wanting to search my bag at a cinema for sweets is a little ridiculous!

EDIT* - I have to say though, I prefer some of the stuff they do at the cinema, the sweet popcorn and tango ice blasts at my odeon are fabulous :p:

ReputationRep:
    They could refuse you entry because they don't like your shoes, or the aftershave you're wearing. They'd have to refund you though.

(Original post by Fishfinger Sandwich)
    They could refuse you entry because they don't like your shoes, or the aftershave you're wearing. They'd have to refund you though.
    Would they?

In the night club I work in, if you walk in, and the bouncers immediately chuck you out, I don't think you're entitled to any money back, regardless of why they threw you out...

. They'd have to refund you though.
    im not sure they would actually

ReputationRep:
    Yes but it wouldnt benefit the cinema financially would it, whereas making you pay 3 times what you would normally would for sweets is :p:

ReputationRep:
    Is this Ilford Cineworld by chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m:)ckel)
    Is this Ilford Cineworld by chance?
    :rofl:

Nope, I don't go there after someone was stabbed during a showing.

Romford Vue ftw :cool:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

Nope, I don't go there after someone was stabbed during a showing.

Romford Vue ftw :cool:
    Damn, never knew that

I'll probably still go there to watch Bourne.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alasdair_R)
    Would they?

In the night club I work in, if you walk in, and the bouncers immediately chuck you out, I don't think you're entitled to any money back, regardless of why they threw you out...
    I reckon if you bought a ticket, then they refused you entry, they'd have to refund you (unless they refused you entry because you were being violent or whatever). I suppose they could put up a sign saying that you may be turned away from the screen entrance at the discretion of the staff-that might get around it.

I'm not by any means sure though, you could well be right.
    That would be dodgey though...
    I could set up a business and make a mint refusing to serve people after they've paid. As long as I kept some customers happy, I'd be able to run the scam quite nicely.

ReputationRep:
    I could set up a business and make a mint refusing to serve people after they've paid. As long as I kept some customers happy, I'd be able to run the scam quite nicely.
    That will be until I come round and burn your house down!

Sounds like the cinema just had an influx of teenagers bringing food and drink in or somert, i dunno!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m:)ckel)
    Damn, never knew that

I'll probably still go there to watch Bourne.
    Yeah, I didn't hear about it till some work colleagues told me They were actually in the showing at the time.

ReputationRep:
    It's more likely that they were searching for video recording equipment and not food or drink. Nobody's gonna stop you taking a bottle of water into a cinema :/

ReputationRep:
    Actually, then again its alot like a rule alot of cafes and canteens of not being allowed to eat/drink sweets and drinks that you've brought in yourself...

ReputationRep:
    I think that if you refuse to have your bag searched you have to have it put in a locker by the management.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.