The Student Room Group

Graduate medicine advice- not so good GCSE and A-levels but good access grade

Hello guys, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.

I am currently a final year pharmacy student. I went into pharmacy initially with a genuine interest in the field but sadly as time goes by, the profession seems to become less and less giving...

I am now contemplating what to do in the future. I decided I will pursue a career in medicine in the end but I am wondering how likely is it and how to get there.

I am currently on a 2:1 but hoping to bring up my mark to a 1st.

I have bad a level results of B in chemistry, C in maths and D in physics, these are due to some personal reasons.

I entered pharmacy using my access to dentistry, pharmacy and medical science in which I studied 2 years after my a level and I received distinction in all modules. From my understanding, some unis do accept this access for medicine.

My GCSE are 4B's and a D in English which I re-sited in college and gained an A. Again I had issues during school so that was a major factor in the not achieving my best.

I understand my A-levels and GCSE are certainly not attractive, but I have known one person with such mediocre grade (but better GCSEs) getting into medicine.

After graduating pharmacy, I am planning to work for 3 years, gain my independent prescribing qualification and work in a GP surgery for 2-3 years. Then do my GAMSAT and then apply. I will be around 30 years old by then...

Therefore, assuming I do well in my GAMSAT, my experience will be my strength as will my good degree and access mark rather than my GCSE and A- levels which will be a big problem.

Obviously things may change from now till then, but I want you guys' honest opinions. Will unis most likely downright reject me? Just getting an interview will mean alot as I generally do well in them.

I am looking towards hearing from you.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There are a considerable number of GEM programmes which do not consider GCSE's and A-levels. For example the four I have applied to do not consider them (Warwick, Notts, SGUL, and Swansea (Swansea ask for GCSE Maths/English C+)) and only your degree performance, work experience, and interview are considered for potential admission.
Original post by Marathi
There are a considerable number of GEM programmes which do not consider GCSE's and A-levels. For example the four I have applied to do not consider them (Warwick, Notts, SGUL, and Swansea (Swansea ask for GCSE Maths/English C+)) and only your degree performance, work experience, and interview are considered for potential admission.

Thank you for taking the time to read all of text and replying. I really do appreciate it.

That is very reassuring. Even being given an interview will mean alot.
I am very passionate and will do everything I can to gain alot of experience. I think working as an independent prescriber will help greatly.
him i was just wondering what were the negative aspects of pharmacy for you and also what uni are you at
Original post by Hassan2578
him i was just wondering what were the negative aspects of pharmacy for you and also what uni are you at

Hello, I hope you are well.

Please don't let me put you off pharmacy if you're thinking of it.

For me the negative aspects is just not knowing where the profession is heading. Too many pharmacy school are not helping the situation!

There are ample opportunities however such as a independent prescribing etc.
If I had to work as a pharmacist for a career, I would, but doing the course made me realise I'd be alot better suited in medicine. It's all about what makes you happy.

Therefore from now on, I am focused on self development and gaining experience to help me in my future career as a doctor. I could probably work for 2 years and apply but I want to become an independent prescriber to make me ready to become the best health care provider in medicine I can. And if I don't get in medicine? well pharmacy has alot of opportunities for me too!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mr Optimist
Hello, I hope you are well.

Please don't let me put you off pharmacy if you're thinking of it.

For me the negative aspects is just not knowing where the profession is heading. Too many pharmacy school are not helping the situation!

There are ample opportunities however such as a independent prescribing etc.
If I had to work as a pharmacist for a career, I would, but doing the course made me realise I'd be alot better suited in medicine. It's all about what makes you happy.

Therefore from now on, I am focused on self development and gaining experience to help me in my future career as a doctor. I could probably work for 2 years and apply but I want to become an independent prescriber to make me ready to become the best health care provider in medicine I can. And if I don't get in medicine? well pharmacy has alot of opportunities for me too!

thanks for the reply this is very useful advice for me :smile: i wish you all the best in the future!
Original post by Hassan2578
thanks for the reply this is very useful advice for me :smile: i wish you all the best in the future!

You are more than welcome friend.
I am wondering, universities for graduate entry they of course ask experience. I would like someone with some sort of experience in medicine admission requirements to help answer this.

Just how much would a pharmacist with an independent prescribing (IP) qualification be seen in terms of experience? In my mind they would value it quite highly well because we're talking about someone who is an expert in medicines and is prescribing! And of course by then I would have been practising pharmacy for 5-6 years! But I am obviously going to be biased so I would like an outsiders opinion.

And do you think that much experience is needed? or could I get in with less? I understand there are few factors to consider. Either way I will most certainly work towards becoming an IP because that's my interest and I keen in self development,
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
I am wondering, universities for graduate entry they of course ask experience. I would like someone with some sort of experience in medicine admission requirements to help answer this.

Just how much would a pharmacist with an independent prescribing (IP) qualification be seen in terms of experience? In my mind they would value it quite highly well because we're talking about someone who is an expert in medicines and is prescribing! And of course by then I would have been practising pharmacy for 5-6 years! But I am obviously going to be biased so I would like an outsiders opinion.

And do you think that much experience is needed? or could I get in with less? I understand there are few factors to consider. Either way I will most certainly work towards becoming an IP because that's my interest and I keen in self development,

There's no such thing as too much experience. As long as you reflect on it properly it never hurts to do more than necessary. I'd always try to exceed any minimal requirements by a substantial margin as I don't think interviewers like applicants to view work experience as a box ticking exercise and want them to truly experience what working in healthcare is like.

Typically medical schools put a heavier emphasis on 'hands on care work' over other areas of experience. Whilst pharmacy often can count towards viable/acceptable forms of work experience I would recommend getting some more caring experience under your belt as well.
Original post by Marathi
There's no such thing as too much experience. As long as you reflect on it properly it never hurts to do more than necessary. I'd always try to exceed any minimal requirements by a substantial margin as I don't think interviewers like applicants to view work experience as a box ticking exercise and want them to truly experience what working in healthcare is like.

Typically medical schools put a heavier emphasis on 'hands on care work' over other areas of experience. Whilst pharmacy often can count towards viable/acceptable forms of work experience I would recommend getting some more caring experience under your belt as well.

Thank you for your reply,

My priority is self development. That is why I want to become an actual prescriber prior to applying to medicine. This is not just because I want to become more attractive, but because having a prescribing experience is highly invaluable and is something I want to do myself.

I find what you said about experience interesting. You see I would have made the assumption that a prescribing pharmacist in the community is more than enough. I mean surely being an expert in medicines and prescribing is something that should be viewed as very attractive? then again I am of course going to be biased and also, I restate, I am not going for experience just for medicine but this is something I am going to do anyway regardless of getting into medicine or not. I don't want to come across that I am just trying to do things just to purely to look attractive in my application.

Can I ask what exactly do you mean by a caring experience? I have been a carer for my mother for about 5 years now, as she has a variety of medical conditions.

Also if you don't mind me asking, what course did you do prior to getting into medicine and what were your experience. And have you known anyone with similar situation to myself in terms of bad GCSE's doing pharmacy degree etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you for your reply,

My priority is self development. That is why I want to become an actual prescriber prior to applying to medicine. This is not just because I want to become more attractive, but because having a prescribing experience is highly invaluable and is something I want to do myself.

I find what you said about experience interesting. You see I would have made the assumption that a prescribing pharmacist in the community is more than enough. I mean surely being an expert in medicines and prescribing is something that should be viewed as very attractive? then again I am of course going to be biased and also, I restate, I am not going for experience just for medicine but this is something I am going to do anyway regardless of getting into medicine or not. I don't want to come across that I am just trying to do things just to purely to look attractive in my application.

Can I ask what exactly do you mean by a caring experience? I have been a carer for my mother for about 5 years now, as she has a variety of medical conditions.

Also if you don't mind me asking, what course did you do prior to getting into medicine and what were your experience. And have you known anyone with similar situation to myself in terms of bad GCSE's doing pharmacy degree etc.

Working as a healthcare assistant in a hospital or care home, or volunteering in some form of caring role. Interviewers want to see that you have the communication skills that are the right match for communicating with patients. They want to know that you spent time working within the NHS caring for patients. This gives you a great insight into the role of not only Doctors, but the various other healthcare professionals that as a Doctor you will work alongside.

Whilst caring for your mother is something you could talk about at interview, it generally isn't consider to count towards 'work' experience unfortunately for most places. For example, my sister was born with learning difficulties and has had elements of care throughout her life, some of which I have been involved/taken a role with - but I can't classify this as 'work experience', yet I can talk about my experiences with this at interview.

I have met some med students who have done pharmacy based degrees in the past and there are plenty on here applying for GEM with pharmacy backgrounds.

Personally I come from a Graphic Design background, but I recently completed a Masters to help my application as I only received a 2.2 in my undergrad.

I have over a year (3hrs per week) volunteering on a hospital ward.
Nearly 2 years HCA experience at my local hospital.
Over 3 years experience as a support worker for a man with learning difficulties.
7 days shadowing doctors across various departments.
Original post by Marathi
Working as a healthcare assistant in a hospital or care home, or volunteering in some form of caring role. Interviewers want to see that you have the communication skills that are the right match for communicating with patients. They want to know that you spent time working within the NHS caring for patients. This gives you a great insight into the role of not only Doctors, but the various other healthcare professionals that as a Doctor you will work alongside.

Whilst caring for your mother is something you could talk about at interview, it generally isn't consider to count towards 'work' experience unfortunately for most places. For example, my sister was born with learning difficulties and has had elements of care throughout her life, some of which I have been involved/taken a role with - but I can't classify this as 'work experience', yet I can talk about my experiences with this at interview.

I have met some med students who have done pharmacy based degrees in the past and there are plenty on here applying for GEM with pharmacy backgrounds.

Personally I come from a Graphic Design background, but I recently completed a Masters to help my application as I only received a 2.2 in my undergrad.

I have over a year (3hrs per week) volunteering on a hospital ward.
Nearly 2 years HCA experience at my local hospital.
Over 3 years experience as a support worker for a man with learning difficulties.
7 days shadowing doctors across various departments.

I have to say, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to reply here. You've been so much help.

I understand that you obviously have not studied pharmacy so your insight into the course will not be in the same way as mine.

What I can tell you is that a pharmacist has certainly not any less patient skills than a doctor given just how many patients a pharmacist has to deal with on a daily basis.

On a daily basis you're involved treating minor ailments of patients over the counter which required great communication skills. You have to within a short time determine such things such as symptoms, PMH, DH, FH, SH etc, and give the best treatments. Them of course you're involved in communicating with GP's telling them which treatment are not appropriate and need changing etc, And of course the pharmacist is also involved in things like MUR's where we determine if the treatments for the patients require altering etc. And this is in the community. In the hospitals the pharmacists role is different but still requires patient skills.

And obviously an independent prescribing pharmacist will be diagnosing and prescribing for patients with more chronic conditions such as COPD, asthma, diabetes etc.

So in terms of communication skills with patient and doctors, and the knowledge required (minus the in depth diagnosis skills) the pharmacist has it all.

I would question whether getting volunteer experience for caring roles is indeed required for a healthcare professional like pharmacist. This is something I would obviously have to clarify in some way.

Obviously those experiences helped you greatly because you can from a non healthcare degree, but I would think those would not necessary apply for me.

What I will say is well done to you! You put in so much time in your caring roles and obviously more than deserved to get into medicine!
(edited 7 years ago)
I have to say, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to reply here. You've been so much help.

I understand that you obviously have not studied pharmacy so your insight into the course will not be in the same way as mine.

What I can tell you is that a pharmacist has certainly not any less patient skills than a doctor given just how many patients a pharmacist has to deal with on a daily basis.

On a daily basis you're involved treating minor ailments of patients over the counter which required great communication skills. You have to within a short time determine such things such as symptoms, PMH, DH, FH, SH etc, and give the best treatments. Them of course you're involved in communicating with GP's telling them which treatment are not appropriate and need changing etc, And of course the pharmacist is also involved in things like MUR's where we determine if the treatments for the patients require altering etc. And this is in the community. In the hospitals the pharmacists role is different but still requires patient skills.

And obviously an independent prescribing pharmacist will be diagnosing prescribing for patients with more chronic conditions such as COPD, asthma, diabetes etc.

So in terms of communication skills with patient and doctors, and the knowledge required (minus the in depth diagnosis skills) the pharmacist has it all.

Therefore I would question whether getting getting volunteering for caring roles is indeed required for a healthcare professional like pharmacist. This is something I would obviously have to clarify in some way.

Obviously those experiences helped you greatly because you can from a non healthcare degree, but I would think those would not necessary apply for me.

What I will say is well done to you! You put in so much time in your caring roles and obviously more than deserved to get into medicine!

Yea I have to agree I cannot give an incredibly informed answer as to whether pharmacy on its own will be sufficient enough or not.

My belief is that a caring role is more invasive/intimate than a pharmacists. By this I mean you are dealing with patients when they're more vulnerable (unclothed - when washing/assisting with hygiene needs, confused, upset about some recent news they have received, etc.). These are elements Doctors have to endure as well (this can be a more or lesser extent depending on specialty) and knowing that you can cope with the bodily fluids, varying temperaments, various team members is beneficial for your application, and for your own self belief.

Alongside this I get to chaperone Doctors quite regularly, this is a fantastic opportunity for me to ask what we're doing and why, sometimes the Doctors are fantastic and will talk me through everything and let me become more hands on than others. Following this I can ask questions about med school and applying, etc. (especially if they're F1/2 doctors and its still quite fresh!).

It may not be necessary for you to have a look into doing some care work, but it will still definitely benefit you as an applicant and as a person wishing to spend a career within healthcare (which you stated is your reason for seeking broader experiences)
GEM is a very expensive option. Remember that you will not qualify for full funding from SF because you have already done another undergrad degree.

This is a good summary of the ££ situation from Warwick Uni (both fees and living expenses) : http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/funding/fundingyourstudies/medics2016/

Essentially, unless you have a wealthy family able to fund you, its not actually a viable option.
Original post by Marathi
Yea I have to agree I cannot give an incredibly informed answer as to whether pharmacy on its own will be sufficient enough or not.

My belief is that a caring role is more invasive/intimate than a pharmacists. By this I mean you are dealing with patients when they're more vulnerable (unclothed - when washing/assisting with hygiene needs, confused, upset about some recent news they have received, etc.). These are elements Doctors have to endure as well (this can be a more or lesser extent depending on specialty) and knowing that you can cope with the bodily fluids, varying temperaments, various team members is beneficial for your application, and for your own self belief.

Alongside this I get to chaperone Doctors quite regularly, this is a fantastic opportunity for me to ask what we're doing and why, sometimes the Doctors are fantastic and will talk me through everything and let me become more hands on than others. Following this I can ask questions about med school and applying, etc. (especially if they're F1/2 doctors and its still quite fresh!).

It may not be necessary for you to have a look into doing some care work, but it will still definitely benefit you as an applicant and as a person wishing to spend a career within healthcare (which you stated is your reason for seeking broader experiences)

Well I guess it all depends on the admission team! As a pharmacist you could do home visits etc but yes you will not be as hands on as a nurse or what you had done.

I suppose its about whether they think a healthcare profession who is an expert in medicines and a prescriber is enough. I will try to get some experience like yours but I will be so busy as a pharmacist so I would question if I have the time.

Can I ask have you known people with mediocre GCSE and A-level like me to get into medicine? I understand you said some unis don't look at them, but what about generally? Suppose I get a good degree and experience and my good access to HE mark, would they overlook the GCSE and A-levels?

I really wanted to go to Liverpool, but sadly they consider A-level and GCSE from my understanding.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well I guess it all depends on the admission team! As a pharmacist you could do home visits etc but yes you will not be as hands on as a nurse or what you had done.

I suppose its about whether they think a healthcare profession who is an expert in medicines and a prescriber is enough. I will try to get some experience like yours but I will be so busy as a pharmacist so I would question if I have the time.

Can I ask have you known people with mediocre GCSE and A-level like me to get into medicine? I understand you said some unis don't look at them, but what about generally? Suppose I get a good degree and experience and my good access to HE mark, would they overlook the GCSE and A-levels?

I really wanted to go to Liverpool, but sadly they consider A-level and GCSE from my understanding.

Generally the requirements are pretty strict. If a university says it wants X results, you better have them otherwise it's a waste of an application.

As my GCSEs are piss poor, and I don't have any A-levels (BTEC) I completely avoided any GEM programme that considered them. I am afraid you will have to look at what other universities require, but this page can give you some idea (although it is a bit outdated)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide
Original post by Marathi
Generally the requirements are pretty strict. If a university says it wants X results, you better have them otherwise it's a waste of an application.

As my GCSEs are piss poor, and I don't have any A-levels (BTEC) I completely avoided any GEM programme that considered them. I am afraid you will have to look at what other universities require, but this page can give you some idea (although it is a bit outdated)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide

It's such a shame that we have to be haunted by our past grade when In my case so much of it was not in my control :frown:

I just hope by the time I apply, those universities you stated will still not consider GCSE and A-levels.

I really want to get into medicine.

I live in Manchester and I have been travelling for 3.5 years now by train for my uni. I wanted somewhere that I could travel to with trains but most those unis are much more than 1 hour away. So I'd have to stay out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry if this a stupid question, but when medicine school ask for a degree classifaction of lets say 2:1 what does mean exactly? I am doing a 4 years master degree in pharmacy. Does that mean a 2:1 in my final masters mark or a 2:1 in the end of my 3rd year?
Sorry if this a stupid question, but when medicine school ask for a degree classifaction of lets say 2:1 what does mean exactly? I am doing a 4 years master degree in pharmacy. Does that mean a 2:1 in my final masters mark or a 2:1 in the end of my 3rd year?

It means the degree you are eventually awarded. You will only leave that Uni with 1 degree (because its an integrated Masters not a separate postgrad Masters) therefore your MPharm.

(Just bear in mind my warning about funding above .....)
Original post by returnmigrant
It means the degree you are eventually awarded. You will only leave that Uni with 1 degree (because its an integrated Masters not a separate postgrad Masters) therefore your MPharm.

(Just bear in mind my warning about funding above .....)

Hi there!

My apologies, I seemed to have missed your first comment (one about cost).
Thank you for your reply. So that mean I will do my hardest to get a first.

As for the costs. I thought we only had to pay for the first year and we could get loans for the rest?

Are you doing medicine yourself or thinking about doing it? What is your situation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending