The Student Room Group

'Seeing' rather than 'dating'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Palmyra
Imagine her parents being introduced to the 5 guys she's 'seeing' at the same time on different days ("oh lovely, another one":wink: :rofl:

you're obviously right, but why then would she say "we're just seeing each other, not dating, there's a difference" - i just can't reconcile the two things.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I really hope she doesn't do that, thinking about the OP's feelings.

After meditating about it, maybe she did something bad and to escape the consequences she told him that they're only seeing each other, as it doesn't imply as many responsibilities as dating does.

But I wouldn't want to assume anything and If I were the OP, I would ask her to clarify.
In simple words :-)

From a boys perspective (Usually) :

dating = marriage/long term relationship material
Seeing = fling material

You're welcome

Ok, I've just read OP's case and it's different

From a female's perspective (usually) :
Dating - You're hot
Seeing - Friendzone

Although, an upgrade could happen if OP's lucky...from 'seeing' her to 'dating' soon.

OP, just leave her if u find yourself attached to her whilst she continues saying things like that. :-)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by starshine909

Seeing = f***ing/fling material

You're welcome

Dating - You're hot
Seeing - Friendzone

Although, an upgrade could happen if OP's lucky...from 'seeing' her to 'dating' soon.

OP, just leave her if u find yourself attached to her whilst she continues saying things like that. :-)

Well I'm seeing her later so let's find out...

If it turns out to just be her way of saying she wants to be sort of intimate but stay as friends then I'll gladly tell her to do one
Original post by RobML
'Seeing someone' is something that childen do, come on. You're either dating or not, there's no inbetween.

That's what I had always though tbh! I don't know why there's so many different stages before you actually start dating- like why over complicate things?:rolleyes:
I thought it was the same thing. It is to me anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra
Imagine her parents being introduced to the 5 guys she's 'seeing' at the same time on different days ("oh lovely, another one":wink: :rofl:

you're obviously right, but why then would she say "we're just seeing each other, not dating, there's a difference" - i just can't reconcile the two things.

Weirdly enough that's how I caught my ex out....

Walked in and her mum actually said "FFS can you stop bringing guys home"...... was a very awkward conversation after that, turned out she was a serial cheater and had been basically getting a bf, cheating on them, a few months later dumped them, started officially going out with the other guy and then starting the cycle again.

I was around 3 years into her cycle and she only stopped recently (6 years later) because she got knocked up :lol:
sort of like with babysteps

seeing = crawling
dating = learning to stand up
going steady = learning to walk
being in a relationship = running

dating is a little more serious than seeing
Original post by Anonymous
So I've started 'seeing' someone and I mean it's early days so I was still referring to our relationship as not quite dating.

However she's just come out with "I want you to know that we're just seeing each other, not dating, there's a difference"

My definition is that you start dating someone after seeing them a while so does that just means she doesn't want anything serious? We do everything you'd consider people in a relationship to do so I don't see why she felt the need to tell me that?

Original post by elekro
I always thought that 'seeing' was a discreet way to say that you are just sexually involved with someone and that's it, while 'dating' refers to doing other things together as well with the potential of a relationship developing. But maybe that's just me.

Agreed with the above, it sounds like she's saying things are not exclusive.
these kind of things complicate everything. it should either be, you're dating or you're not?

i dont understand why people are afraid of comitment. if you want to be with someone then be with them! why hide it?
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Agreed with the above, it sounds like she's saying things are not exclusive.

I would say seeing is above dating (haha) so i'm v confused.

Dating is like going on dates, events together. Not intimate together sexually.

Seeing is being 'together' but not bf/gf. Shagging and chilling together but not in a relationship per se.

Just my two pence and consensus of thread seems to be the opposite.

OP - why can't you ask her to elaborate on what she meant? Just ask her...
If you can't be honest with one another then there really is no future
sort of like with babysteps

seeing = crawling
dating = learning to stand up
going steady = learning to walk
being in a relationship = running

dating is a little more serious than seeing

see i dont understand this? (just curious)

if you like them- ask them out! okay i understand the 'seeing' part- thats what you do when you both realise you like eachother? after that- ask them out....

all these steps just confuse everything and over complicate something simple as two people liking eachother and seeing potential to be with them :rolleyes:

buuuttt thats just my opinion :blush:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by starshine909

Seeing = f***ing/fling material

You're welcome

Dating - You're hot
Seeing - Friendzone

i didnt realsie that was the case? :lol:

i think its quite subjective- many people have their own understanding about this...
to some people 'seeing' someone is a FWB case

to others its when they dont want to put a label on what they have, and others want an open relationship..... Dont you think?
So I've started 'seeing' someone and I mean it's early days so I was still referring to our relationship as not quite dating.

However she's just come out with "I want you to know that we're just seeing each other, not dating, there's a difference"

My definition is that you start dating someone after seeing them a while so does that just means she doesn't want anything serious? We do everything you'd consider people in a relationship to do so I don't see why she felt the need to tell me that?

OP i think youve just landed yourself into a situation many call a Friends with Benefits.

like many have said- some people think that 'seeing eachother' is being intimate without the cute relationship side of things?

i could be wrong :blush:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by elekro
I always thought that 'seeing' was a discreet way to say that you are just sexually involved with someone and that's it, while 'dating' refers to doing other things together as well with the potential of a relationship developing. But maybe that's just me.

that's what i thought as well tbh
I think of seeing like something approaching a relationship that might become one but not defined yet. The sort of situation where if you're run into friends when out you're all "this is my uh...this is Paul" cause you haven't used boyfriend yet but friend isn't quite right either.
I think the responses here show you really need to ask her though cause there are so many different answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always thought seeing was the same as friends with benefits.
Original post by RainMakesWhisky
I think of seeing like something approaching a relationship that might become one but not defined yet. The sort of situation where if you're run into friends when out you're all "this is my uh...this is Paul" cause you haven't used boyfriend yet but friend isn't quite right either.
I think the responses here show you really need to ask her though cause there are so many different answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i found this very very amusing! :lol:

but i getcha- its rather quite subjective :yep:
"Dating" sounds more formal to me, where you're getting dressed up and going out in the evening for an official date, and it's quite clear that the purpose of it is to develop it into a relationship.

"Seeing" sounds more casual, where pretty much anything is possible.

Ask her what the difference is if your not sure?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending