The Student Room Group

Should the UK ban the burqa?

very controversial topic... what does everyone think?

Scroll to see replies

No.
Reply 2
Original post by Zamestaneh
No.

any reason? i think there are many pros and cons
Original post by Hassan2578

I am Muslim and believe women should be allowed to guard their modesty with the Burqa.
Nope. If someone wants to wear something, let them. That's literally the end of it for me.
Original post by Hassan2578

Why dont you tell us what you think along with the pros and cons?

This topic was done in the last two weeks.
Reply 6
Yes, it should ban Muslims too like the US is.
No. Can't say I'm a particular fan of the Burqa, but it is not the role of the government to dictate what people wear.
Nope. This topic already been discussed.
people are now days take an advantage and innocent people who have nothing to do with the outcome have to deal with the criticism of it so its debatable :holmes:
Not really, I mean maybe it could be a security threat but anywhere in England that needs tight security already has x-ray scanners and sniffing dogs so there's no threat that a burka could actually pose
What's controversial about it? Simple 'no'...
in my opinion the pros and cons are:
Cons: liberates women from visual judgement
allows women to express their religious views in public
a ban would isolate people that do wear it
a ban would affect woman rights because a moment should be able to wear what she wants
a ban would offend many people across muslim communities in the uk
Pros: allows social participation
prevents women being forced to wear it which is very much the case in some cases
no more undermining of identity and face covering is not required in islam
there have been cases where suicide bombers have used the burqa to conceal their identity

apologies if it has been discussed i just wanted to know what peoples views are
having said that my personal opinion is that women have the right to wear what they like and express their religious views in which ever form they like
Reply 14
Original post by Zamestaneh
I am Muslim and believe women should be allowed to guard their modesty with the Burqa.

There is nothing "modest" about wearing a burqa in Europe. You stick out like a sore thumb and it is jarring to the vast majority of non-muslims.
Original post by Wōden
There is nothing "modest" about wearing a burqa in Europe. You stick out like a sore thumb and it is jarring to the vast majority of non-muslims.

thats your own opinion but that shouldn't change the right a woman should have to wear one should it?
Reply 16
Muslims should ask for its ban. It would show that they don't want to be associated with extremists.
Reply 17
While I disagree with what I personally believe is the ideology behind the burqa - oppression of women - the UK is a free country and people should be able to wear what they choose. I respect that many muslim women do not see it in the way I do and they choose to wear it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by fatima1998
people are now days take an advantage and innocent people who have nothing to do with the outcome have to deal with the criticism of it so its debatable :holmes:

I don't understand.
Original post by Josb
Muslims should ask for its ban. It would show that they don't want to be associated with extremists.

but a ban would also affect a woman right to wear what she likes don't you think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending