Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i just got it today, i'd heard a lot about it being 'the best game ever' and similar talk, but i'm really not sure... it's very good, but hmm... what do you all you 360 owners think of it?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's great, I love it. Trying not to rush through it though, I'm just taking my time to make it last a bit longer.

ReputationRep:
    Its a pretty long game anyway from what I've heard. Anyway I'm enjoying it a lot. There is a lot to the game, if you're not far yet then you have plenty to discover.

ReputationRep:
    I've just read the review in Gamespot, and it looks pretty awesome. Sounds very different to most games, which is great as I'm so bored of most games now, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I read some reviews and I was quite excited because apparnetly it's like System Shock 2, which I never played but I've ALWAYS wanted to (cos it's from the good people who brought us Deus ex AND thief 1 & 2!).

So I downloaded the demo and at first I was in awe, but when it got into the action I was a bit disappointed. Didn't find the action side to be all that great... it was a bit fidgety getting to the right thing .. zapping them and hitting them etc. Maybe you get used to that. I'll play the demo a couple more times before I decide whether or not to buy.

ReputationRep:
    I bought this game on Monday and loved every minute of it!

Best FPS ever, even beats Half-Life 2 IMO.

Defo deserves 10/10! I usually go for Multiplayer games (Gears Of War on XBOX LIVE etc) but i loved this game! There are 2 Endings depending on what choices you make in the game.....i got the good 1

AVOID PC VERSION AT ALL COSTS! Uses sony's "SecuROM" protection and only allows u to install it twice and then thats you for life (although I've heard they're upping it to 5 Installs)

Shocking still....i'll stick with the 360 vesion thanks.

ReputationRep:
    amazing game, very short though, won't spoil it but there are some good twists

ReputationRep:
    bioshock suffers from uber hype. Its a game with an excellent story, but it does not deserve 10/10 and 95%+ scores.

I like it alot, and its the best game released (on the PC) since STALKER. However it is not as great as people bang on about, its DEUS EX with a 50's art style and some magic.

I still think everyone should buy this game, but DEUS EX is better.

ReputationRep:
    I'm loving the sheer atmosphere of and attention to detail in the environments - exploring it is really fun. And the storyline so far seems like it should be interesting.

But, the combat is really not great. It feels really....cartoony. And gunfights quickly degenerate into firing blindly into the incredible amount of smoke they seem to generate. Maybe it'll get more fun when I get some more plasmids (only got the fireball/electic/telekenesis ones so far) but it's a bit meh.

Plus, the graphics, for a modern PC game, are frankly completely crappy. Again, the environment is really well done, and so are the character models, but the lighting effects are truly awful - like light rays streaming through a window are just a great big solid block of off-white slapped across the screen. Honestly looks like a PS1 game in places. And water effects being hyped? What the hell? They're pathetic! Especially the waterfalls. This all under DX10 with settings maxed btw.

But, it's all worth it ^^. The city is really cool, it has amazing atmosphere, and the story's interesting, so I'll play through it just to have explored it and finished the story if nothing else (and anyway, combat isn't THAT bad...and seems to get a bit better the further in one goes)

ReputationRep:
    Artistically, it's the best shooter ever. Gameplay-wise, it's MUCH better than Halo for single player imo, but to be honest it doesn't match up to Half Life/HL2.

ReputationRep:
    Tim what the hell! How can you knock the water effects? You got the latest drivers and such? Because in my game they are the best water effects I have ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    Tim? :mad:

They're OK in places, but other times they really suck. Like where there are waterfalls down walls and stuff - look at them side on and they're completely 2D. And that droplets on the screen effect at the start was hopeless - has anyone ever seen a perfectly circular droplet? That rather than appearing on the screen and running down just appears....and then vanishes after a bit, with no transition?

These are minor points of course, but when the quality of water effects has been hyped so much you expect them to be good, really.

Not that it stops it being a fun game. The combat's getting better as I get further in (just been playing it this afternoon).

ReputationRep:
    I agree that in some places the water is a *bit* of a let down, considering how much it was hyped. It still looks fantastic though.

The lighting is also amazing. I don't see how you can consider it to look 'PS1'? It’s powered by the unreal engine and it shows. The way that objects are lit in different colours according to what filters the light is shining through (e.g. red/green security cameras), dynamic shadows from characters that vary in size depending on distance from the light source, water even refracts light as it shines through. If anything the lighting is the game's best graphical feature, it’s what makes it so atmospheric.

ReputationRep:
    Aaaah this game scared the life out of me this afternoon. I was in the medical pavillion, in the lower part, had just gone into an icy surgical theatre, when a got a massive frost blast in my face, turned around and THERE WAS A SPLICER! Aaaaah! I'm onto Neptune's Bounty now, started to play it, and didn't really know what to do, in the first major hall (I won't say what there is, don't want to spoil it for others who have also been taking their time like me )

ReputationRep:
    I found the water effects to be nothing but a delight. I'm running the PC version at full specs except for the high detail shaders. I have to say that I'm a big fan of this game, especially having only seen/heard of it barely two weeks ago. The graphics are fantastic, you have a wide arsenal of weapons and plasmids (super-powers for those not in the know) and the plot and actors are so finely presented that it almost feels like a film.

For PC users though it could be worth waiting for a patch to come out (soon hopefully) as there are still some bugs in it which prevent you from running at full settings (and won't even run on GPUs which don't support 3.0 shading in some cases). Even so, I found this game to rival and even surpass HL and HL2.

ReputationRep:
    A very good game, but the best ever? Maybe not, i think the reviewers got a little too excited...

Maybe one of the best games on The 360, but not the best.. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it isn't the best game ever also, but I was never THAT impressed with Halflife 2 either. At any rate, that's for another thread I believe

ReputationRep:
    I also thought in the demo - maybe someone who'd played the full game to some extent will disagree - that the physics were, frankly, ****. They weren't even on par with HL2, and from the "shooter 2.0" description I was expecting something special. And as I said in the shoutbox at some point, the models and textures for bad guys weren't what I was expecting at all. Shoot a guy in the head until he dies and look at his corpse... ooh... a read stained texture on his head. Amazing. I was hoping for chunks to be able to be shot off, or at least being able to see semi-realistic bullet holes etc. I really fail to see what makes it so much "more advanced" than previous FPS games. Other than having a "speshal powahs".

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely agree that it's possibly the most over-hyped game of the year, but luckily my expectations weren't so high as to leave me disappointed. It's an incredibly solid game with a very good storyline, something missing from most FPSs, and is unique with the whole plasmids thing, which is perhaps why everyone's been getting so carried away with it. 9/10 is probably a fair score.

ReputationRep:
    the story lines clever..and the use of weapons is too...ive bought this and im happy so far...gears of war is still the best 360 game for me though...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 28, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.