Turn on thread page Beta

So why is smoking such a big turn off? watch

• Political Ambassador

Political Ambassador
    I don't think it's fair to attribute an etiquette to a smoker, saying that the person is less educated, less intelligent or just saying that smokers are bad people.

I get that the majority is turned off by the smell or the taste, but I don't get the unfair generalizations of smokers, tbh.

And I also get the health risk and the people who are allergic to smoke or can't stand it being impregnated in their clothes and hair.

But apart from that, not being friends or even keeping a distance from some amazing people just because they smoke?

Why is it such a deal-breaker?
    I read somewhere:
    "I would have never married my husband if he was a smoker."

But smoking doesn't change your persona, your character or your personality at all.

What do you think?

Edit: In my country almost everybody smokes so they don't really find it to be a turn off, I must say, but I noticed on TSR many people were complaining about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elena.Catalina)
    I don't think it's fair to attribute an etiquette to a smoker, saying that the person is less educated, less intelligent or just saying that smokers are bad people.

I get that the majority is turned off by the smell or the taste, but I don't get the unfair generalizations of smokers, tbh.

And i also get the health risk and the people who are allergic to smoke or can't stand it being impregnated in their clothes and hair.

But apart from that, not being friends or even keeping a distance from some amazing people just because they smoke?

Why is it such a deal-breaker?
    I read somewhere:
    "I would have never married my husband if he was a smoker."

But smoking doesn't change your persona, your character or your personality at all.

What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Smoking isn't as bad as drinking or other drugs. However you stink of smoke, it is just not good at all. So I couldn't be with a heavy smoker, but a light smoker that would be okay. How many do you do a day? Also there is the fact of the cost of smoking too. It isn't a desirable thing in someone you want to be with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilikechinesefood;69243844[b)
    ]Smoking isn't as bad as drinking or other drugs[/b]. However you stink of smoke, it is just not good at all. So I couldn't be with a heavy smoker, but a light smoker that would be okay. How many do you do a day? Also there is the fact of the cost of smoking too. It isn't a desirable thing in someone you want to be with.
    No, it's worse.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    A heavy smoker just puts me off in general.
    • Political Ambassador

Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ilikechinesefood)
    How many do you do a day?
    I don't smoke daily, just occasionally. Let's say when there's a party, like five.

Or when I'm stressed I'll smoke one or two.

ReputationRep:
    stinks, and is disgusting

ReputationRep:
    I think (as mostly everyone has said) it's the smell but also the perception of smokers today.

People aren't interest in those with other addictions (alcohol, gambling etc.) and smoking is possibly just becoming another one of those. Also it's the financial cost now too. All the cigarette money could of bought a holiday, a car, eventually saved for a house deposit.

Personally, it's a major turn off for me because of all the reasons suggested.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bad habit that can cause bad breath and make you smell of ash. So from that perspective, some may feel that they're better than you because they don't do it. You've also got to factor in that this is a board of largely educated middle class folk, that it could be attributed as a "chavvy" habit. People in general do like to take the moral high ground.

Personally, it doesn't bother me much (though I'd rather a girl doesn't smoke). The effects on appearance and health most certainly won't be affected in the time I'm seeing her.
    • Political Ambassador

Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bennybee4)
    I think (as mostly everyone has said) it's the smell but also the perception of smokers today.

People aren't interest in those with other addictions (alcohol, gambling etc.) and smoking is possibly just becoming another one of those. Also it's the financial cost now too. All the cigarette money could of bought a holiday, a car, eventually saved for a house deposit.

Well, some may have fixations like buying lots of clothes, being addicted to the internet or having food obsessions, not to mention the video gaming addiction. All of these are expenses and count as financial costs equally to the cost of cigarettes. Even if they're not necessarily a health risk, excluding the food one, how are these not taken into account by the society?

(Original post by Diego Costa)
    It's a bad habit that can cause bad breath and make you smell of ash. So from that perspective, some may feel that they're better than you because they don't do it. You've also got to factor in that this is a board of largely educated middle class folk, that it could be attributed as a "chavvy" habit. People in general do like to take the moral high ground.

Personally, it doesn't bother me much (though I'd rather a girl doesn't smoke). The effects on appearance and health most certainly won't be affected in the time I'm seeing her.
    Smoking doesn't mean that you don't take care of your appearance, actually it means that you have to put a lot more effort into smelling good, looking good and being healthy.

What I'm wondering is how can people get past their potential partner being a compulsive liar, abusive or not having too many particular traits at all, but wouldn't accept smoking?

ReputationRep:

Everyone has something they spend money on that could have gone on something else lol. Everyone enjoys different things.I think the same when girls spend all their money on shoes and clothes but thats just what they do for enjoyment. Same with smoking, drinking, drugs, gambling, video games, whatever.

Could also say, "the money you spend on that car or holiday could have been spent on X Y Z."
    • Political Ambassador

Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Everyone has something they spend money on that could have gone on something else lol. Everyone enjoys different things.I think the same when girls spend all their money on shoes and clothes but thats just what they do for enjoyment. Same with smoking, drinking, drugs, gambling, video games, whatever.

Could also say, "the money you spend on that car or holiday could have been spent on X Y Z."
    Exactly what I was thinking. I could have easily spent all the money I used on make-up, clothes, phones on something else. A necessity to somebody might not be as important to someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking doesn't mean that you don't take care of your appearance, actually it means that you have to put a lot more effort into smelling good, looking good and being healthy.

What I'm wondering is how can people get past their potential partner being a compulsive liar, abusive or not having too many particular traits at all, but wouldn't accept smoking?
    Smoking can cause bad breath and ash smell. As you say, they can be hidden, It can however be very difficult to hide them all the time, especially if the person in question is smoking 15+ cigarettes per day.

As for the second point; smoking is one of the things that people will notice immediately or very shortly after meeting someone. Being a compulsive liar or abusive is something that only generally comes out once they have established an attachment to the other person, so may be willing to overlook it.

ReputationRep:
    smoking IS a health risk, you wonder why governments over the world have been banning cigarettes in public places, and in some cases putting disturbing graphic content on cigarette packs to put people off, and also advertising things like nicotine patches and gum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)

That is a fair point. If someone enjoys it, doesn't care about the health and financial issues associated then by all means go ahead. People who smoke are not 'bad people' by any means, heck most of the smokers I know are nicer than the non-smokers. We all have our 'addiction' like you are saying and do agree its nobody place to tell them to stop doing it.
    • Political Ambassador

Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    Smoking can cause bad breath and ash smell. As you say, they can be hidden, It can however be very difficult to hide them all the time, especially if the person in question is smoking 15+ cigarettes per day.

As for the second point; smoking is one of the things that people will notice immediately or very shortly after meeting someone. Being a compulsive liar or abusive is something that only generally comes out once they have established an attachment to the other person, so may be willing to overlook it.
    It's sad that some people might not try to have a connection with a smoker just because of that and only that. When that person could simply be amazing. :rolleyes:

But I guess society is just messed up.
    • Political Ambassador

Political Ambassador
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    smoking IS a health risk, you wonder why governments over the world have been banning cigarettes in public places, and in some cases putting disturbing graphic content on cigarette packs to put people off, and also advertising things like nicotine patches and gum.
    Most of the food nowadays is full of chemicals which are dangerous for our organism.

ReputationRep:
    I kissed a guy on a night out who had just been smoking and I was nearly sick down his throat because it tasted so disgusting. He also had a habit of spraying aftershave after, but that just made the smell worse. I haven't gone near a smoker since and never will.
    I think smokers are really selfish and protective about their addiction too. I've spotted parents smoking in a car with children and the windows up fully, as well as at a picnic bench with a pram right in front of them. Some also light up in places where they're not allowed to (like on train platforms or on the roof of a building), or right in front of doorways. It's also disgusting when they they just drop their butts on the ground and walk on.
    I refuse to let people smoke in my house or car, so there is no way I could live with them again.

ReputationRep:
    It's sad that some people might not try to have a connection with a smoker just because of that and only that. When that person could simply be amazing. :rolleyes:

But I guess society is just messed up.
    Yeah its a personal choice. Not one for anybody to judge or disapprove of. Its the same as telling an overweight person to eat less. Firstly, its not that simple and secondly does it really effect you??

Technically yes when you get into the whole NHS debate but at the end of the day if you want free healthcare you have to accept everybody have different lifestyles.

Although I said its a 'major turn-off' I wouldn't say its a deal-breaker. If the person of your dreams comes along and has a personality to die for are you really going to reject them because they smoke occasionally?
    • Political Ambassador

Political Ambassador
    Yeah its a personal choice. Not one for anybody to judge or disapprove of. Its the same as telling an overweight person to eat less. Firstly, its not that simple and secondly does it really effect you??

Technically yes when you get into the whole NHS debate but at the end of the day if you want free healthcare you have to accept everybody have different lifestyles.

Although I said its a 'major turn-off' I wouldn't say its a deal-breaker. If the person of your dreams comes along and has a personality to die for are you really going to reject them because they smoke occasionally?
    Of course each individual has freewill, nobody is going to take that away from you by all means. I'm not trying to come off as judgmental, because I really don't judge anyone, but some might make a balk of good ground just because of a bad habit.

And exactly, everybody has different lifestyles after all!

That's what I was wondering. But as some said on this thread, they might not even have time to realize that they're the person of their dreams because they notice the smoke. I could never consider it a deal-breaker, tbf.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The smell... it's just awful. Sickening, and it is so overpowering that you can't just ignore it. Which is why smoking in public is inconsiderate, it offends the senses. Plus, people I know who smoke have bad teeth, bad nails, and smell gross. :/

Tbh I equate cigarette odour with the smell of **** - neither are pleasant or at all bearable. :|

Living my whole life with a partner who stinks of smoke would be a nightmare, I'd end up smelling and our house would. I don't want to live like that. 😷

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.