The Student Room Group

So why is smoking such a big turn off?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Elena.Catalina
I live in Romania. I think our government has just became aware of how many adolescents actually smoke, even though they were practically encouraged with all the flavors involved in the cigarettes market.

Yeah, it is one of the biggest industries around. It contributes to the NHS, but billions go into the health care expenditures for diseases such as pulmonary ones.

I read that in the past 20 years, California has saved around $90 billion in health care costs due to fewer citizens using tobacco.

Flavours - tbh that sounds cool lol so I can understand why they've probably stopped that now. Yeah that's why I meant, it gains a lot of money but also costs a lot to the NHS (indeed with the various diseases).

That's shocking wow!

It is addictive as well, gotta consider that!
I don't think it's fair to attribute an etiquette to a smoker, saying that the person is less educated, less intelligent or just saying that smokers are bad people.

I get that the majority is turned off by the smell or the taste, but I don't get the unfair generalizations of smokers, tbh.

And I also get the health risk and the people who are allergic to smoke or can't stand it being impregnated in their clothes and hair.

But apart from that, not being friends or even keeping a distance from some amazing people just because they smoke?

Why is it such a deal-breaker?
I read somewhere:
"I would have never married my husband if he was a smoker."

But smoking doesn't change your persona, your character or your personality at all.

What do you think?

Edit: In my country almost everybody smokes so they don't really find it to be a turn off, I must say, but I noticed on TSR many people were complaining about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Health effects and the long term. Think about it, I wouldn't want to kiss my wife after she has had a fag, due to the smell. Also you want to hug her and smell her sweet paco rabanne but smoking will cover that smell so it's a no no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by redleader1
Health effects and the long term. Think about it, I wouldn't want to kiss my wife after she has had a fag, due to the smell. Also you want to hug her and smell her sweet paco rabanne but smoking will cover that smell so it's a no no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wherever I go, everybody is smelling like paco rabanne. It's unbelievable.

It has become such a common smell and I used to really like it. :colonhash:
I guess if you consider that on a subconscious level, we are attracted to those who are healthy (and subsequently turned off by those who aren't) in order to progress our species, the fact that most people would associate cigarettes with being unhealthy would go against this and even if on a conscious level we could get past it at the back of our minds it is there. I guess that's how I would see it at least
I don't think it's fair to attribute an etiquette to a smoker, saying that the person is less educated, less intelligent or just saying that smokers are bad people.

I get that the majority is turned off by the smell or the taste, but I don't get the unfair generalizations of smokers, tbh.

And I also get the health risk and the people who are allergic to smoke or can't stand it being impregnated in their clothes and hair.

But apart from that, not being friends or even keeping a distance from some amazing people just because they smoke?

Why is it such a deal-breaker?
I read somewhere:
"I would have never married my husband if he was a smoker."

But smoking doesn't change your persona, your character or your personality at all.

What do you think?

Edit: In my country almost everybody smokes so they don't really find it to be a turn off, I must say, but I noticed on TSR many people were complaining about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Propaganda. Let's look at the common arguments:
'It's unhealthy'
So is bacon.
'It smells'
So does lots of food?

I'd date a smoker.
Reply 45
Original post by Abdukazam
'It's unhealthy'
So is bacon.
'It smells'
So does lots of food?

I'd date a smoker.

Such a great post.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abdukazam
'It's unhealthy'
So is bacon.
'It smells'
So does lots of food?

I'd date a smoker.

I'd say the difference between the health risks of smoking and bacon is that your body can't be damaged from being near some eating bacon.
Reply 47
I'd rather not marry someone who has a chance of dying a few years into married life leaving me alone with the kids.
mate for life squad

Besides, the smell reminds me of when my dad used to smoke, and it triggers horrible memories. **** that ****.
Reply 48
Original post by RizK
I'd rather not marry someone who has a chance of dying a few years into married life leaving me alone with the kids.
mate for life squad

Besides, the smell reminds me of when my dad used to smoke, and it triggers horrible memories. **** that ****.

Your partner could be dying from anything while you're married. Someone gets hit by a car any moment or has an accident or something uncertain happens.

Just being realistic. lol
Original post by RizK
mate for life squad

Could happen to anyone. Lots of people just drop dead
It killed my grandad so no thanks :frown:
I don't smoke daily, just occasionally. Let's say when there's a party, like five.

Or when I'm stressed I'll smoke one or two.

Wow. I hate this 'stressed'. Brilliant excuse.
Reply 52
Your partner could be dying from anything while you're married. Someone gets hit by a car any moment or has an accident or something uncertain happens.

Just being realistic. lol

abdukazam
x

Just saying, it's been proven that it increases the risk of cancer. Why'd you play chances with something like that?

Meh, its better than watching your spouse get diagnosed with inoperable cancer, passive smoking causing your bloody kids to get diagnosed with even more cancers. Rather just drop dead without a warning.

The best thing about death is that you'd never see it coming. I'd rather not have a deadline.
Original post by RizK
Just saying, it's been proven that it increases the risk of cancer. Why'd you play chances with something like that?

Meh, its better than watching your spouse get diagnosed with inoperable cancer, passive smoking causing your bloody kids to get diagnosed with even more cancers. Rather just drop dead without a warning.

The best thing about death is that you'd never see it coming. I'd rather not have a deadline.

You probably do hundreds of things that increase the risk of cancer, you gamble with your health everyday, it's part of living.
Reply 54
Original post by Maths is Life
Wow. I hate this 'stressed'. Brilliant excuse.

I'm well aware that it has been scientifically proven it doesn't help with stress, but I've got used to doing it while I feel anxious.
Reply 55
Original post by RizK

I know that, but it's also been proven by researchers that cancer is everywhere. Even the sun exposes you to cancer, lol. So there's a pretty good chance to have cancer for non-smokers as well.

And your spouse could also develop a deadly disease or have another genetic one. You never know.
So now you not only want to cancerify yourself, but you want to ignorantly sway my opinion on your fetish to inhale nicotine and suck a cylindrical object because it's only occasional or / if you are "stressed" out?

Well howdy ha ha if you want to kill your lungs that's all up to you. And I "respect" your ridiculous choice. But I'm not disposed to put up with someone who wastes time putting a lot more effort into smelling good, looking good and being healthy when one could efficiently put all that effort on their degree...or dissertation or whatever.

Try not being a narcissist, critical, arrogant and wasting valuable time if you want a better half as high standard as YT. So yes, smokers don't stand a chance for the reasons I've given above. :u:

PS: Bolded for dramatic effort
Reply 57
Well, the smell of smoke makes me feel ill, and it has made me throw up previously. So, no, I wouldn't date a smoker. I also wouldn't date a heavy drinker.
Original post by Anonymous
So now you not only want to cancerify yourself, but you want to ignorantly sway my opinion on your fetish to inhale nicotine and suck a cylindrical object because it's only occasional or / if you are "stressed" out?

Well howdy ha ha if you want to kill your lungs that's all up to you. And I "respect" your ridiculous choice. But I'm not disposed to put up with someone who wastes time putting a lot more effort into smelling good, looking good and being healthy when one could efficiently put all that effort on their degree...or dissertation or whatever.

Try not being a narcissist, critical, arrogant and wasting valuable time if you want a better half as high standard as YT. So yes, smokers don't stand a chance for the reasons I've given above. :u:

You mean like wasting your valuable time shitposting on TSR?
Reply 59
Original post by Anonymous

As many as 20% of the people who die from lung cancer every year do not smoke or use any other form of tobacco. There are other important factors such as air pollution, release of gases, gene mutations and not having a healthy diet.

Why do you feel the need to address such insults? Not particularly finding myself to be nor a narcissist, nor an arrogant, critical yeah. Thank you very much. :biggrin:

You have your fetishes as everybody else does.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending