Apple Macbook worth it? Watch

bhfn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey!

I'm a student who's hopefully going to university for 2017 entry. I will be needing a new laptop, not sure what to get. I've always been enthralled at the idea of owning a Macbook? but is it really worth it, in terms of the price? I've also noticed majority of family friends/cousins I know that are at university actually own a Macbook, do a lot students own one?

I used my previous laptop for many purposes, generally music, movies, word documents, surfing through internet and youtube.
Lyrici3383
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To be honest, when I got an Macbook I was on cloud 9 but then of you can't afford it, it's not worth it.
Everytime I have to mail a document to someone I have to change the format from pages to word and if I forget to do so I'm done.
You can't download any softwares unless they are on the app store. Sometimes softwares available for free, come with a cost on the app store.
For surfing and youtube, macbook or any laptop is fine.

I guess the main reason why people get a macbook, is the same as why people get an iphone.
It's a status symbol and I guess it gives you a sense of superiority and makes you feel wealthy because they do come with a heavy price tag.

If you already own an iphone and a lot of apple products then buying a macbook makes sense, because it just makes everything easier to handle.
Bennybee4
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I hated my MacBook. I ended up selling mine to (now ex) girlfriend so I could buy a Windows Laptop.

I love the iPhone to bits and wouldn't think of getting an android phone but the Mac's operating system complicated me compared to a traditional windows

A lot of people do use MacBooks but I do agree it's a status symbol more than anything. I'd recommend trying a friends/relatives MacBook first to see if you like it. I think personally I depends what you are using it for.

If it's a creative subject i'd go for the MacBook based on what it has to offer in terms of music and film software. But if it's just for Microsoft word, excel and PowerPoint. You can easily save yourself hundreds by ditching the Apple logo.

Hope this helps
Just4
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got mine as my first laptop after finishing GCSE's. I got it because I thought it was pretty to be completely honest with you lmao and I wanted a laptop that I would invest in once and it would last me years. No viruses etc. I watch a lot of movies on sites that come with pop ups and stuff as well making it more likely. It's expensive and probably isn't worth it if you're just using it for day to day use and nothing too complex. But for me, it was. It's lasted 1 and 1/2 years now - still in good condition in terms of speed etc. No viruses and stuff to date 👏 Here's a list of pros and cons for me.

Pros:
Pretty
15" is a good size
Retina display is the stuff of dreams - especially if you're a netflix lover like me
Low likelihood of viruses

Cons:
Having to export documents from pages to word - it is annoying and if you forget you just want to cry 🙄
Software updates - I'm lazy, I like using my laptop all the time and it takes too long
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The analogy I would give is this:

Buying a Windows laptop is like going on holiday but booking your flights, accommodation, activities, meals, transport while abroad etc. all separately. The benefit of this is that it's cheaper and you can tailor your experience to be precisely how you want it.

Buying a MacBook is more like purchasing a full board package deal from a tour operator. It's more expensive, but you don't have to worry about organising everything separately. They'll just take care of everything for you based on how they expect you would like your holiday to turn out, and all you have to do is turn up and enjoy it, hassle-free.

Whether or not it's worth it depends on how much money you have, what kind of user you are and what exactly you want from it. And this combination of factors will be different for everyone.

I personally got a MacBook because I had used Windows so much already, and just wanted to have experienced both. And I also installed a copy of Windows on a separate partition just in case I ended up deciding I prefer that. To begin with I wasn't used to OS X and didn't like it very much, so I used Windows for the most part. But after using this MacBook for 6 years I've grown to completely prefer OS X to Windows (certainly more so than Windows 8 and 10).

The average user isn't going to find much they can do on a Mac that they can't do on a PC or vice-versa, and for the usual browsing, word documents, music, photos and films they're both perfectly adequate. Maybe for high-end gaming a PC (or at least a copy of Windows) might even be a bit better.

The other main drawbacks I've found is that OS X tends not to be compatible with most very old software from the days when Apple had a very low portion of the market share (although I have my Windows partition for those rare occasions), and also that all MacBooks seem to be the same; you can't really get one with special quirky hardware features like a touchscreen, fingerprint reader or anything like that - it's very "one size fits all".

But what you're paying for when you buy a Mac is a smoother, more user friendly, more organised and more aesthetically comfortable experience with all the messy stuff kept behind the scenes. You also get seamless integration with other Apple products and services and really good quality customer care and support. I also got a laptop that has lasted about twice as long (and counting) as any other computer I had before feeling like I need a new one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (283)
15.22%
The paper was reasonable (1033)
55.57%
Not feeling great about that exam... (403)
21.68%
It was TERRIBLE (140)
7.53%

Watched Threads