The Student Room Group

Parents kicking off about my university choices

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jessyjellytot14
Did you go to the applicant days by yourself or with your parents?
And thanks, I'll email the department and ask if my travel costs could be reimbursed :smile:
I'll also try talking to my parents again when they're in a better mood haha. I don't think they realise that I actually want to be far away from home, but idk how to tell them this without sounding rude :tongue:

I went alone, partly because my parents didn't approve of my University choices anyways and partly because I prefer travelling by myself and meeting new people. My parents offered to take me though, in an attempt to be supportive. :smile:

Yeah definitely, I'm sure they'll come around, plenty of time till your decisions yet!

Best of luck!
Original post by Tootles
It's you going there, not them :lol:

You've got to go where you want to go, especially if you feel it's a better place, for whatever reason. Otherwise you won't have enough faith in where you are to be able to perform at your best.

This is exactly my view!
I know they can't force me to go to a local university but I just wish they could be more accepting of my decision. Money isn't everything, after all! It's not like I'll be visiting home lots anyway :tongue:
Original post by cherryred90s
I think your parents have a point. 4 hours is really far, how often would you go home? Have you checked ticket prices?

I don't know if you're the type to get homesick, but I did and it really helped that home was just an hour train journey away.

I would only go home during the main holidays such as Christmas, Easter and Summer. So overall I'd be travelling to and from Lancaster about six times a year, which isn't much really.

And I'm not sure if I'm a homesick kind of person or not, but I've been to France and Switzerland without my parents before and have felt fine :smile:
The "far away" university is Lancaster and the closer university is Loughborough.

Original post by Maths is Life
YES JESS. I want to goto Lancaster. What course?

Heya, I live in Lancaster now and i can say the town is really good fro students. I haven't applied to Lancaster this year but a few of my friends went to Lancaster last year and loved it :biggrin: (I dropped back a year in 6th form) the prices for accommodation and food are some of the cheapest in the county for students. As i go to a 6th from in the local area i've done a lot of taster days there (i did one with Psychology and it was amazing :biggrin: ) Its also a fairly safe area and somewhere you can walk around at night in the main town. If you want to go its got a lot of prestige and seems really friendly :smile: If you want any more info about the town or uni etc. feel free to ask me :biggrin:

on another point, if you could persuade your parents to come look at it they might like it more If i didn't already live here, i would apply. Good Luck!
Reply 44
Ugghhhh I'm just going to rant about my parents' attitude towards me not wanting to go to a university that is nearby.
The university I really want to go to is a four hour train journey away, and you have to change trains twice in order to get there.
Ideally, I need to be going to an applicant day in a couple of months as I have not yet visited the university.
I brought this up to my parents earlier and they just started kicking off saying that the train prices are too expensive, it's too difficult to get to, why can't I just go to a closer university bla bla bla bla.
There is a closer university that I wouldn't mind going to, but why should I give up on my top choice just because it isn't the "easy option" or the most convenient to get to?

Has anyone else's parents reacted like this? I know there a quite a few people on here who have or will be travelling much greater distances than me to get to their university.

My uni is 5 hours away :smile: Although I'm sure everyone at home would rather I lived closer no one kicked up a fuss about it. The trains are expensive but if you book in advance (1 month or more) you can get them a lot cheaper. At the end of the day the university, which you are paying minimum £27,000 for or more if your course is longer, is much more important than the location. Explain this to your parent, and say that it's only 3 years and you can move closer after uni (you obvs don't have to but you can deal with that when the time comes). This university is important to you as the course is much better than any of those nearer, which you would be paying the same (extremely expensive) price for. Also as much as 4 hours sounds a long time it's really not, people in other countries live MUCH further than that from home, even if they have stayed to go to uni in their own country. UK is pretty small! Also remind them that just because you are closer to home does not mean you will come back more often. You'll have a lot of uni work to be doing during the semester so you'd still only be able to come back during the breaks anyway.

Just try and stay calm while discussing it and PLEASE don't let them make the decision for you/change your mind. You have to do what's best for you. It's selfish of them to want you do change your choice, some parents just have a hard time letting go.
Original post by TheMightyAugur
Sorry to jump in but saaaaammmmeeeee!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't apply for Lancaster or Loughborough but psychology for the win! :wink:

Psychology with study abroad :biggrin:
I'm guessing you'll be doing maths? :tongue:
tbh they just want to be able to visit you, most people go to unis near home
This is really good advice :smile: I think the main reason they're being like this is because I've changed my mind about where I want to go so many times over the past year, but now I've made up my mind on Lancaster.
Wow, you are really far away from home then! Sometimes you've just got to make the best decision for you though!

I understand entirely - I think there were only 3 or 4 subjects I hadn't entertained the idea of taking when I was in A2 (last year, now) and it was a difficult time for everyone involved. But the catharsis of finally deciding a course, deciding a place - it's precious and it must just be, you feel like you've found the right thing and want everyone to believe you. Still hey, if you know this is what you want, as I say - go for it, follow your dreams :smile:
Once I officially start, I'll be living in halls. I definitely won't be commuting every day!

Original post by Habina786xx
If its due to the expenses why don't you find a job or take a gap year? And earn the money in the mean time get yourself a flat and move in.
My step cousin travelled to Ukraine to do a medical degree... so yeah..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I already have a well paying part-time job. Idk if this will make me sound bratty but I don't really want to spend a large amount of my wages on going to an applicant day when one of my parents could easily drive me there or get the train with me.
I'll probably end up paying for myself to get the trains though :tongue:
I would only go home during the main holidays such as Christmas, Easter and Summer. So overall I'd be travelling to and from Lancaster about six times a year, which isn't much really.

And I'm not sure if I'm a homesick kind of person or not, but I've been to France and Switzerland without my parents before and have felt fine :smile:

Oh that's alright then. I travelled back home like once a month during my first year :colondollar:
Distance was never an issur for me. My mum encouraged me to go places and given how I've lived outside of the South befoe, I wasn't worried. I ended up choosing somewhere that is only one hour away, but still out of the region and far. I only rejected Durham in the end as I wasn't too confident in myself, but the journey would have been over four hours!
Original post by Samonia
Heya, I live in Lancaster now and i can say the town is really good fro students. I haven't applied to Lancaster this year but a few of my friends went to Lancaster last year and loved it :biggrin: (I dropped back a year in 6th form) the prices for accommodation and food are some of the cheapest in the county for students. As i go to a 6th from in the local area i've done a lot of taster days there (i did one with Psychology and it was amazing :biggrin: ) Its also a fairly safe area and somewhere you can walk around at night in the main town. If you want to go its got a lot of prestige and seems really friendly :smile: If you want any more info about the town or uni etc. feel free to ask me :biggrin:

on another point, if you could persuade your parents to come look at it they might like it more If i didn't already live here, i would apply. Good Luck!

Christ. Lancaster Royal Grammar. Lucky
Original post by Moura
My uni is 5 hours away :smile: Although I'm sure everyone at home would rather I lived closer no one kicked up a fuss about it. The trains are expensive but if you book in advance (1 month or more) you can get them a lot cheaper. At the end of the day the university, which you are paying minimum £27,000 for or more if your course is longer, is much more important than the location. Explain this to your parent, and say that it's only 3 years and you can move closer after uni (you obvs don't have to but you can deal with that when the time comes). This university is important to you as the course is much better than any of those nearer, which you would be paying the same (extremely expensive) price for. Also as much as 4 hours sounds a long time it's really not, people in other countries live MUCH further than that from home, even if they have stayed to go to uni in their own country. UK is pretty small! Also remind them that just because you are closer to home does not mean you will come back more often. You'll have a lot of uni work to be doing during the semester so you'd still only be able to come back during the breaks anyway.

Just try and stay calm while discussing it and PLEASE don't let them make the decision for you/change your mind. You have to do what's best for you. It's selfish of them to want you do change your choice, some parents just have a hard time letting go.

Thank you, I'll take all of this into consideration when I next speak to them about it :smile:
I definitely agree with you about Lancaster not really being that far away. If I was going to be studying somewhere like America or New Zealand then I'd understand my parent's concern about money and distance. I think their main issue is that me going to Lancaster would be an inconvenience to them. They wouldn't be able to visit me or see me very often as opposed to if I went somewhere that is only a bus journey away.
Original post by Maths is Life
Christ. Lancaster Royal Grammar. Lucky

I don't go to grammar. Didn't like the idea of an all girls school.
Original post by Samonia

Lucky! I wish I lived in Lancaster right now haha... or even somewhere close to Lancaster!
You've basically just mentioned all of the reasons why Lancaster is my top choice :biggrin:
Thanks, I'll PM you if I have any questions in the future! :smile:
Lucky! I wish I lived in Lancaster right now haha... or even somewhere close to Lancaster!
You've basically just mentioned all of the reasons why Lancaster is my top choice :biggrin:
Thanks, I'll PM you if I have any questions in the future! :smile:

You're very welcome! :biggrin:
Original post by Airmed
Ew Belfast. :tongue: Just kidding, I'm from N.Ireland. What made you pick there?

@jessyjellytot14 coach would be cheaper most likely. But you should sit down and have a sensible conversation with your parents, explaining why you want to go to Lancaster.

I've just looked at the coaches and although they are much cheaper, the journey takes 7 hours and 20 minutes for some reason!!?? The trains only take about four hours.
4 hours is really not a big deal, you can still visit home every holiday and it won't be a huge amount to budget in + pay for

as for the visit day, if you're low income ask if the uni will help you pay for train fare to visit

just do what you want to do, your parents will ocme around
Original post by TheMightyAugur
Sorry to jump in but saaaaammmmeeeee!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooooo snap! :biggrin:
Will you be going to one of the applicant days?
And also, did you know that you can minor in a different subject during your first year? :smile:
Ooooo snap! :biggrin:
Will you be going to one of the applicant days?
And also, did you know that you can minor in a different subject during your first year? :smile:

I'm still not sure whether I'll end up doing the study abroad. I more clicked that just so I had the option rather than making a commitment to do it. I imagine I'll end up opting out of it

Hopefully, yeah! And I did. I was thinking about politics, or maybe maths or history. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending