The Student Room Group

Parents kicking off about my university choices

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jessyjellytot14
This is exactly my view!
I know they can't force me to go to a local university but I just wish they could be more accepting of my decision. Money isn't everything, after all! It's not like I'll be visiting home lots anyway :tongue:
Part of the thing with going away to uni is to help you get used to not living in your parents' pocket. I can understand them being concerned, but it's going to be hard for all concerned when you move away anyway - even if it's just temporary - so it's best to just do it when the moment presents itself.
Original post by Samonia
I don't go to grammar. Didn't like the idea of an all girls school.

Lancaster RGS is both gender? They were at the regional maths challenge and won. Quite p***** with myself
Original post by TheMightyAugur
I'm still not sure whether I'll end up doing the study abroad. I more clicked that just so I had the option rather than making a commitment to do it. I imagine I'll end up opting out of it

Hopefully, yeah! And I did. I was thinking about politics, or maybe maths or history. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I'll stick with the study abroad as long as there will be some appealing partner universities to go to. Ideally, I'd like to go to somewhere like Canada or France :smile:.

And I'm torn between Philosophy, Maths and French studies for the minor haha.
Original post by Maths is Life
Lancaster RGS is both gender? They were at the regional maths challenge and won. Quite p***** with myself

No, there is 2 different grammar schools in Lancaster. These are LRGS (Lancaster Royal Grammar School) and LGGS ( Lancaster Girls Grammar School) They might have come together for the competition but they are both single gender schools. LGGS for girls and LRGS for the boys. There are 2 other high schools directly in Lancaster too.
Ugghhhh I'm just going to rant about my parents' attitude towards me not wanting to go to a university that is nearby.
The university I really want to go to is a four hour train journey away, and you have to change trains twice in order to get there.
Ideally, I need to be going to an applicant day in a couple of months as I have not yet visited the university.
I brought this up to my parents earlier and they just started kicking off saying that the train prices are too expensive, it's too difficult to get to, why can't I just go to a closer university bla bla bla bla.
There is a closer university that I wouldn't mind going to, but why should I give up on my top choice just because it isn't the "easy option" or the most convenient to get to?

Has anyone else's parents reacted like this? I know there a quite a few people on here who have or will be travelling much greater distances than me to get to their university.

I think this is quite a common situation tbh. I had the same thing with my parents.... My parents won in my case, but then again money does talk.
Original post by Samonia
No, there is 2 different grammar schools in Lancaster. These are LRGS (Lancaster Royal Grammar School) and LGGS ( Lancaster Girls Grammar School) They might have come together for the competition but they are both single gender schools. LGGS for girls and LRGS for the boys. There are 2 other high schools directly in Lancaster too.

It's funny how everyone tells me Lancaster is a small place.... Yet it has 9 colleges, a city, and bare schools. V concentrated I guess
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Samonia

Nope. All 4 of them were Asian guys
I think I'll stick with the study abroad as long as there will be some appealing partner universities to go to. Ideally, I'd like to go to somewhere like Canada or France :smile:.

For what it's worth, Philosophy won't do you much good prospectively, unless you really enjoy it.

Maths even as a minor demonstrates strong technical/numerical ability which is high in demand in job markets.

French will be useful if you're able to get close to or fully fluent, both from a prospective point of view (employers love bilingualism) and for your year abroad (although it should be noted Quebec is the only place in Canada to speak French as a first language, and they're really anti-English speaking at the minute).
Party party

BOOM BOOM BOOM JOM
Original post by Maths is Life
It's funny how everyone tells me Lancaster is a small place.... Yet it has 9 colleges, a city, and bare schools. V concentrated I guess

Lancaster is really small and very concentrated, we just seem to have a lot of schools and collages. If you want shops though, for basic shopping its okay but other than that most people here go to manchester.

Lancaster don't offer psychology students study abroad in France it seems unfortunately but there's a lot of options in Canada

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/international-students/study-abroad/outgoing/study-abroad-partners/psychology/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lancaster don't offer psychology students study abroad in France it seems unfortunately but there's a lot of options in Canada

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/international-students/study-abroad/outgoing/study-abroad-partners/psychology/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make sure that if you study abroad you still get BPS accreditation. I've applied for Computer science and even though some universities say I'll be accredited with a year abroad, I won't so I can't do one.
Original post by SkyRees
For what it's worth, Philosophy won't do you much good prospectively, unless you really enjoy it.

Maths even as a minor demonstrates strong technical/numerical ability which is high in demand in job markets.

French will be useful if you're able to get close to or fully fluent, both from a prospective point of view (employers love bilingualism) and for your year abroad (although it should be noted Quebec is the only place in Canada to speak French as a first language, and they're really anti-English speaking at the minute).

Yeah I'll probably do either Maths or French then. I know why Maths and French are valued quite highly, but how come Philosophy isn't?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's a shame :\. I'm glad to see there are plenty of places to go in Canada though ! :smile:
Yeah I'll probably do either Maths or French then. I know why Maths and French are valued quite highly, but how come Philosophy isn't?

I think it's just that if you do Maths, you can be paid to do banking or science. If you do French, you can be paid to translate or teach it. If you do Philosophy, can you be paid to think? Philosophy is a useful subject - I did it to AS - but it's just one of those degrees/minors that have little application in the job market outside of a related field like politics, you know?
But to be honest, if it's only a minor, you should do what you enjoy I think. Philosophy surely has its complementary uses with Psychology I would imagine? :smile:
Original post by SkyRees
I think it's just that if you do Maths, you can be paid to do banking or science. If you do French, you can be paid to translate or teach it. If you do Philosophy, can you be paid to think? Philosophy is a useful subject - I did it to AS - but it's just one of those degrees/minors that have little application in the job market outside of a related field like politics, you know?
But to be honest, if it's only a minor, you should do what you enjoy I think. Philosophy surely has its complementary uses with Psychology I would imagine? :smile:

As far as I am aware, Lancaster's minor programme is for the first year of study only (unless you choose to carry it on but you do that at the end of the year I think) when none of the modules count towards the final degree (I think) so whatever minor you choose to study in year 1 isn't relevant when it comes to entering employment because it doesn't form part of the degree that you attain at the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
As far as I am aware, Lancaster's minor programme is for the first year of study only (unless you choose to carry it on but you do that at the end of the year I think) when none of the modules count towards the final degree (I think) so whatever minor you choose to study in year 1 isn't relevant when it comes to entering employment because it doesn't form part of the degree that you attain at the end

Posted from TSR Mobile

My bad; in that case take whatever your heart desires, if it really has no bearing on results. Although would it not be on your degree transcript what you did and what you got? If so I guess you can't really mess about but it also doesn't matter greatly either. Have a check with the uni and see, but if it's only first year Augur is right, it doesn't make a lot of difference.
Reply 77
My parents reacted quite the same which is rich considering they're barely home i hardly see them. My dad wanted me to apply to local unis but they're either crap or extremely competitive. London isn't too far from where i live and i applied to LSE, if i get in my dad is insisting i travel everyday and wasn't happy that I chose universities which are far from home like Exeter and York. It makes sense financially to travel to London daily (I'd save around £2k-3k a year) but i dont want to a) live at home with that much work b) its about 1hr-45min travel one way and c) i wont enjoy my life.

I'm keeping quite tho, if my parents wanted me to stay nearby they should've shown some interest in my studies/uni options rather than complain and moan after ive made my decisions.
Reply 78
It's time to kill them OP
LOng love your parents , honesty , few of us cherish them as much as we should ! But think about it , by the time you get to their age , they'll (most likely) be dead. I doubt you would like to spend the majority of your adult life resenting them for forcing you into a place you did not want to be . It quite a sad and harsh reality.

Parents are important , their opinions are also important , but think about what is best for you . Be selfish (it is allowed sometimes).

This is always what my dad says to me , I hate to think about it but it's true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending