Visiting family for holidays, and I've run out of medication. What can I do? Watch

Save.Me
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I go to university at the other end of the country, and I've come home to visit my family. However, I've just realised that I've almost run out of medication (anti-depressants.) I'm registered to a doctor where I go to uni, so this means I can no longer visit the doctors in my hometown, right? If so, thenis there anything I can do, other than travel for three hours to get a prescription?
mdowling
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can be a bit of a faff but you can usually get an emergency prescription from places. Best bet is to go to the doctors surgery and ask the receptionist or go to the pharmacy and explain the situation. If that doesn't work you can visit the GP as an visiting patient and get a short term prescription from them- not sure how convenient this option would be as for me a GP appointment takes a month to get!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Save.Me)
So I go to university at the other end of the country, and I've come home to visit my family. However, I've just realised that I've almost run out of medication (anti-depressants.) I'm registered to a doctor where I go to uni, so this means I can no longer visit the doctors in my hometown, right? If so, thenis there anything I can do, other than travel for three hours to get a prescription?
Go to a pharmacy,if they happen to be one which can access your summary care record then you could convince them to give you an emergency supply or is your doctors one does electronic prescriptions per chance? If they aren't and you can't get an emergency supply either then you ll want to register as a temporary patient at your local GP.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Save.Me)
Visit whatever the closest open pharmacy is and explain to them what has happened. You can get emergency prescriptions given out, but you may need to phone your other pharmacy or doctors surgery so they can confirm you need the medication and aren't just trying to get free drugs. They can tell you what they need to do though so just head over there now and get it sorted. Pharmacies in places like Tesco tend to stay open later than others so try one of them if others are closed.

You can still visit your hometown dr if you register temporarily. It is valid for about 3 months and does not un-register you at your uni surgery. That can be sorted all in one day if you are lucky, so you could try that, but your best bet for the moment is just going to a pharmacy and sorting it tare. There is no problem with sending prescriptions to different areas so the only limitation is them contacting your usual pharmacy or doctor to confirm things and if they currently have the medication in stock or would have to order it in.

Good luck. Hope you get it all sorted without having to miss a dose
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mdowling)
Can be a bit of a faff but you can usually get an emergency prescription from places. Best bet is to go to the doctors surgery and ask the receptionist or go to the pharmacy and explain the situation. If that doesn't work you can visit the GP as an visiting patient and get a short term prescription from them- not sure how convenient this option would be as for me a GP appointment takes a month to get!
In their situation they could probably get an urgent appointment or phone appointment so the latter is still a valid option as long as they know to push for it and explain that it is urgent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads