The Student Room Group

Travelling with a disability

if you travel with a disability, you may require some assistance when you travel. I've never booked assistance to catch a train; but have had to book assistance for catching a plane.

I contacted Flybe (how to do this is on their website) with a brief description of my needs, flight details (just time, date where from and to) and my disability. They sent me a confirmation email of this. I'm ok checking in; it's the getting around the airport safely that's the problem and finding the right gate. After showing my passport to check in, the person at the desk tells me they'll get someone to help me through security and get on the plane. I've only ever flown with Flybe and have never had a problem at all with the assistance I've received.

You'll require travel insurance. Depending on your situation, you may have to pay slightly more. Shop around. I, for example, get it free with my bank; but had quotes up to £300.
Reply 1
Disabled persons railcards

These cost £20 for one year or £54 for three years. You and your companion get 1/3 off rail tickets. You can travel at any time of the day and no there's lower limit on the cost of the ticket. (unlike there is with the 16-25 railcard)

If you add your railcard to an oyster card, you can also get discounts on London underground fares that way too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Travel insurance:

You may be able to get travel insurance through your bank, which I have done. This for me, has cost me nothing even after declaring my disabilities. However, I have been quoted anything up to £300 for multi trip insurance. You need to shop around. You're better off paying that little bit more for a company you've heard of. I originally went with the Post Office. I did find cheaper; (Post Office quoted about £32 for a year) but didn't recognise any of the names.

Your travel insurance will also cover things like flight delay, lost luggage, etc as well as falling ill abroad and any problems related to your pre existing illnesses.

A friend of mine decided not to cover his illness which means he doesn't pay whatever extra his bank would quote him, which also means on the off chance that he becomes ill due to his pre existing illness, he won't get covered.
Reply 3
Travelling with medication:

You need to take your white repeat slip with you when you travel and you need to take your medication in the original boxes. (so they know it's yours and not some random persons medication you're trying to take to another country for whatever reason)

I've personally never had been asked about medication or had any of mine checked. But it is advised that you take the repeat slip and the original boxes with your name on.

I take all mine in a small cotton drawstring bag so I know it's all together and know where it is.

Ensure you have plenty of medication with you so that you don't run out.

On the off chance you run out, you may be able to get an emergency supply from the chemist. (which I almost ended up doing whilst in Scotland last year) For this you'll need your white repeat slip.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Travelling with medication:

You need to take your white repeat slip with you when you travel and you need to take your medication in the original boxes. (so they know it's yours and not some random persons medication you're trying to take to another country for whatever reason)

I've personally never had been asked about medication or had any of mine checked. But it is advised that you take the repeat slip and the original boxes with your name on.

I take all mine in a small cotton drawstring bag so I know it's all together and know where it is.

Ensure you have plenty of medication with you so that you don't run out.

On the off chance you run out, you may be able to get an emergency supply from the chemist. (which I almost ended up doing whilst in Scotland last year) For this you'll need your white repeat slip.

It doesn't matter to me, but may be helpful for others - can you carry all meds in hand luggage? Or what are the restrictions?
Reply 5
Original post by *Interrobang*
It doesn't matter to me, but may be helpful for others - can you carry all meds in hand luggage? Or what are the restrictions?

I don't know much about this (I just need to take some inhalers, a gel and tablets) but have found this
I've read that some countries are extremely strict about even bringing prescribed drugs into their country, such as Japan.
Reply 7
Original post by The Snowman
I've read that some countries are extremely strict about even bringing prescribed drugs into their country, such as Japan.

Interesting. I've not come across this before.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Interesting. I've not come across this before.

The likes of the Daily Mail commenters defend countries like Japan wholeheartedly for doing that and say that we should take that same tough stance in this country. :colonhash:
Original post by The Snowman

Yes it's definitely a good idea with medications to make sure you know the laws of the country your visiting and to travel with proof of prescriptions, just in case!

I took cetirizine with me to Japan - it's a prescription drug there, so to be safe, I got my GP to write me a note explaining why I was carrying it.
As it was I wasn't checked or asked about it, but always good to be prepared!

Quick Reply

Latest