The Student Room Group

Personal statement for a masters course

Hi all,

I was wondering to what extent should a postgraduate personal statement differ from the one written for undergraduate courses? Am currently drafting my first personal statement for a masters course but now I've left university I don't really have anywhere to go for advice or support.
It depends on the uni. For example, some unis/subjects will expect you to talk about your planned area for research, whereas others will focus more on why you want to do the course. They should have guidance on their website
I've got an unconditional for my masters which starts in September ! From what I can recall from my application , it was more of a focus of the modules on offer and why it would be a natural progression from undergrad. Have a look on the website and also ucas website is useful in the postgrad section , as well as NUS websites . I'm not currently studying so lacked the same amount of guidance , these websites helped a lot !
Reply 3
I hold offers to Leicester, Derby and Nottingham Trent for Postgraduate study. I was lucky in that I have been out of education for a number of years so was really able to sell my professional experience of working within Criminal Justice. I would concentrate on the modules of study and how they link with your academic interests as well as trying to draw on the research that your chosen institution undertakes and how this will aid your studies. For instance, in my application to NTU, I made reference to their Sexual Offences Research Unit and how this would allow me to build on my professional expertise, but also undertake unique research avenues unavailable elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending