The Student Room Group

Where do my a-levels take me?

If i choose Biology, Chemistry and either English literature or History. What are my choices for a degree? Also what's the employability like for those degrees?
Original post by VVDOOMVV
If i choose Biology, Chemistry and either English literature or History. What are my choices for a degree? Also what's the employability like for those degrees?

Biomedical Science
Biochemistry
Biology
Medicine
English Literature
History
Law
etc.
Ooo, nice...

I'm hopefully going to take Biology and Chemistry too, as I'm aiming to go down the veterinary path. Also fingers crossed I'm going to take maths as that may help, but I think just biology and chemistry is alright for a few universities (you would probably want to research that yourself or someone more experienced on TSR just to check).

For a 4th a-level, I'm graphical communications would be nice as hopefully it will be a semi-relaxing subject that I can enjoy, even though it has no relation into the veterinary career 😂
Reply 3
Original post by Transitory
Biomedical Science
Biochemistry
Biology
Medicine
English Literature
History
Law
etc.

English Literature and History, what sorts of jobs would you be looking down. Preferably with high salaries and decent employment rates?
Reply 4
Original post by laurena01
Ooo, nice...

I'm hopefully going to take Biology and Chemistry too, as I'm aiming to go down the veterinary path. Also fingers crossed I'm going to take maths as that may help, but I think just biology and chemistry is alright for a few universities (you would probably want to research that yourself or someone more experienced on TSR just to check).

For a 4th a-level, I'm graphical communications would be nice as hopefully it will be a semi-relaxing subject that I can enjoy, even though it has no relation into the veterinary career 😂

I'd say a 4th is unnecessary but i really want to do something humanitarian based with decent employment rates
Being employable is about gaining experience and skills that you can then apply to the job you go for. So really you should be asking yourself what would you like to do as a job, and how can you apply your A-levels and degree to that. What are you interested in?

From the ones you've chosen, there are a number of areas you could go into, and like I said, this will depend on your interests. Having a good variation in subjects would be ideal for someone who wants to go into teaching (if you ever considered that as a career path?). And the skills that you learn from those subjects like report writing and different types of analysis are going to be great for most jobs you apply for.

I would read up on some university syllabuses and see what strikes you as something you would like to do. You can search my uni's website for a look at some examples of courses you might want to do. For you I would check out the School of Journalism, Humanities, and Social Sciences, or the School of Sciences. Hope this helped! 😊
English Literature and History, what sorts of jobs would you be looking down. Preferably with high salaries and decent employment rates?

Not sure but they both vary.

a levels take you to debt
Reply 8
Original post by StaffsUniDrew
Being employable is about gaining experience and skills that you can then apply to the job you go for. So really you should be asking yourself what would you like to do as a job, and how can you apply your A-levels and degree to that. What are you interested in?

From the ones you've chosen, there are a number of areas you could go into, and like I said, this will depend on your interests. Having a good variation in subjects would be ideal for someone who wants to go into teaching (if you ever considered that as a career path?). And the skills that you learn from those subjects like report writing and different types of analysis are going to be great for most jobs you apply for.

I would read up on some university syllabuses and see what strikes you as something you would like to do. You can search my uni's website for a look at some examples of courses you might want to do. For you I would check out the School of Journalism, Humanities, and Social Sciences, or the School of Sciences. Hope this helped! 😊

I have a particular interest in humanitarian based subjects, with essays and creative writiting and analysing texts etc. Something with English would suffice. Also thanks for the response.
Reply 9
Original post by CraigBackner
a levels take you to debt

hilarious
hilarious

its tru
I have a particular interest in humanitarian based subjects, with essays and creative writiting and analysing texts etc. Something with English would suffice. Also thanks for the response.

No worries 😊 I have heard good things about the Creative Writing courses here at Staffordshire University, but I know a few people who do History and Geography courses here and seem to be enjoying them. Like I said, have a look around at different courses at different uni's, and figure out what you would like to do with that degree
Reply 12
Original post by StaffsUniDrew
No worries 😊 I have heard good things about the Creative Writing courses here at Staffordshire University, but I know a few people who do History and Geography courses here and seem to be enjoying them. Like I said, have a look around at different courses at different uni's, and figure out what you would like to do with that degree

i appreciate that

Quick Reply

Latest