The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices... Stuck!

Scroll to see replies

When picking A-levels you should always try to include facilating subjects such as Maths, English, the sciences or humanities subject. This helps to open up more doors for you when you go to look at Universities.

Definetely do something that you enjoy, so pick English. English paired with History is bery good (I do them myself) which can lead to a wide range of careers. You don't always need to do Maths if you do Economics, if you have good Maths skills from GCSE that is enough. Plus History and Economics is meant to be especially good together for some reason.
Original post by whoisme
Yorkshire. I wouldn't mind commuting to cities like Manchester, Leeds or Liverpool from home, and if I got a particularly good job based in London I suppose I would move there.
The problem with STEM is, the only one I'm considering taking is Biology and what can you do with just Bio alone?

If you are serious about pursuing a lucrative career, you have to be willing to relocate, often to London if not another country.

The truth is, STEM subjects are more likely to lead to such careers. Biology is OK but others are probably better.
Original post by CarefreeDreams
You don't always need to do Maths if you do Economics, if you have good Maths skills from GCSE that is enough.

Be very careful about this advice. Many top universities do require maths at A level or IB. Not all, but many. It's risky to pursue economics without maths A level because you restrict your choices. Also, it's quite a mathematical subject so why would you pursue it if you don't like maths?
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Not planning on going to university?

Definitely planning on going to uni. I meant what kind of degrees can that lead to.
Original post by Trevish
Hmm!
Try to think what you want to do in future?
How you wish you want to make cash?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A job that involves writing, perhaps? I guess a job that's high paid that doesn't involve Science.
Original post by RegrettingAS
Definitely do subjects that will increase your chance for Law. You sound like the ideal candidate for a law degree. Although a job can be hard to get as a lawyer, remember that with a law degree being a lawyer is not the only thing u can do. For example, law enforcement or being an advisory for one of the big four. But yh i would defo look into law if i was you.You can use search.ucas.com and search for Law if you wanna see the entry requirements and maybe the preferred subjects.

That's helpful, thanks!
Original post by whoisme
A job that involves writing, perhaps? I guess a job that's high paid that doesn't involve Science.

Hmm.
You could become a journalist, a blog writer, a novelist or something like that
I recommend languages in that case

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by whoisme
So I'm in Yr 11 right now, and will have to pick my A-Level options in a matter of months, but I am really stuck.
In my GCSE Mocks, I got 8 A* and 3 A's, so that doesn't narrow down the subjects I'm good or bad at.
I don't know what I want to do at university - I just want it to lead to a well paid job and I DEFINITELY don't want to go into a science-maths field such as medicine or accountancy.
My strength is definitely English, and I'm very good at all the subjects I do. (I hate Maths, however). I'm considering Economics, but what is it about and where can it take me??

Subjects I study at GCSE (and mock grades)

Maths (8)
English Lit and Lang (8)
TRIPLE SCIENCE: Bio (A*), Chem (A*), Physics (A)
German (A) *definitely will NOT take*
Resistant Materials (A* - A)
History (A*)
Geography (A*)
Business Studies (A*)

I only know that I will take English Lit, that's it! Which subjects would best suit me, and where can they take me?
Help would be greatly appreciated x

If u hate maths then don't be an accountant as u will defo need a level maths
Original post by Mair18919
The OPs problem is that he/she has absolutely no idea what career appeals or even doesnt appeal. I suggest h/she does a few of the various 'career' questionnaires to help to at least eliminate some options.

H/she mightt start with thinking about environment both local (as in the actual workplace) that he would like to work in (usually an office but not always), and the larger. Does he want geographical flexibility (maybe international) , or national (most highly paid jobs ar in London or overseas.

Also he says well paid, but is he chasing a six figure salary or would say 50K be satisfactory?

First of all, it's 'she' haha.
I'd say 50K would be satisfactory, I'm not looking to be a millionaire.
I know I don't want to do something STEM based, that's it.
Probably work in an office environment, I'm not fussed, and I'd like to stay in England if possible but I wouldn't mind having to do abroad trips for work.
Original post by Sophhhowa
If u hate maths then don't be an accountant as u will defo need a level maths

You are wrong dude.
I hate Maths but good in Accounting but still do Maths at A level.
You do not need great Maths knowledge in Accounting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chazwomaq
Be very careful about this advice. Many top universities do require maths at A level or IB. Not all, but many. It's risky to pursue economics without maths A level because you restrict your choices. Also, it's quite a mathematical subject so why would you pursue it if you don't like maths?

I probably wouldn't pursue economics further than a level. And I can do Maths well, so I don't mind a basic maths element in economics. It's when you get to the complicated equations and formulas in a level maths that my head starts to hurt.
Original post by Trevish
Hmm.
You could become a journalist, a blog writer, a novelist or something like that
I recommend languages in that case

Posted from TSR Mobile

A journalist isn't high paid, though?
Original post by Trevish
You are wrong dude.
I hate Maths but good in Accounting but still do Maths at A level.
You do not need great Maths knowledge in Accounting

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, you only need GCSE level Maths to do Accounting at University.
Original post by whoisme
A journalist isn't high paid, though?

Make your own blog then. Make sure it's unique though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by whoisme
Yeah, you only need GCSE level Maths to do Accounting at University.

Exactly. I have a friend whose smart but didn't take Maths at A level and still doing Accounting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trevish
Make your own blog then. Make sure it's unique though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's appealing, but I'd probably do a blog as a side thing. I'd want a job too.
Please don't pick subjects such as Maths and Physics etc. simply because they'll get you a better paid job in the future. If you hate Maths now, I don't see why you suddenly would love it in A Level, where it becomes much harder and time consuming. If you hate an A Level, there is literally nothing worse as you would likely get a lower grade in it and your university choice would get slimmer, therefore restricting you with what you can do at degree level (and likely not really leading you into a better paying job, if that was your main priority). Stick with subjects such as History, English, Politics, Geography, etc if you're interested in essay subjects - you'd be much happier with yourself if you chose subjects you like more over subjects that are likely going to take you into a higher paying job when you're older.

Also, many arts degrees lead into well paying jobs - especially if you are good at them and get a high university degree grade such as a First or a 2:1. Yes, Law is quite difficult to get a job in, but you seem to be good enough all round, so there will be less competition with you :smile:
Original post by whoisme
It's appealing, but I'd probably do a blog as a side thing. I'd want a job too.

Blog do earn lots of money if you do it well. Famous ones like Huffingtonpost earns like $10k daily! You could start with a side blog and if it works well, i recommend to make it a full time one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was in the same situation as you in year 11, and took English Literature, Psychology and Philosophy. I really enjoy these subjects and they've prepared me well for an English Literature degree.

I would recommend subjects like history/classics, psychology, english language, politics etc which really complement English and can help improve your overall knowledge.

Do some research into the basics of the subjects and course syllabus and see which ones you find most interesting, as those are the subjects you'll do best in.

Congrats on the great mock grades and good luck with the A Levels decision 😊
Original post by george_c00per
Please don't pick subjects such as Maths and Physics etc. simply because they'll get you a better paid job in the future. If you hate Maths now, I don't see why you suddenly would love it in A Level, where it becomes much harder and time consuming. If you hate an A Level, there is literally nothing worse as you would likely get a lower grade in it and your university choice would get slimmer, therefore restricting you with what you can do at degree level (and likely not really leading you into a better paying job, if that was your main priority). Stick with subjects such as History, English, Politics, Geography, etc if you're interested in essay subjects - you'd be much happier with yourself if you chose subjects you like more over subjects that are likely going to take you into a higher paying job when you're older.

Also, many arts degrees lead into well paying jobs - especially if you are good at them and get a high university degree grade such as a First or a 2:1. Yes, Law is quite difficult to get a job in, but you seem to be good enough all round, so there will be less competition with you :smile:

I completely agree with what you are saying. Even if I did pass in the subjects I hate, it would just lead to a job I hate and I can't see myself doing that for the rest of my life.
I seem to be leaning towards Law.

Quick Reply

Latest