charlieo44
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ok, so I am doing the 9 - 1 ed-excel higher maths. I use revision materials such as maths watch, cgp books, and the collins 9 - 1 higher book etc. I get the concepts pretty easily when I revise something.

However, when it gets to practice question, specifically ones designed for the new exams, it is way too hard. The way the questions are asked confuses me, and I can't actually understand what they are asking for. I am having this issue, and it is very demoralizing, as I work hard and revise a topic, but can't actually do any question from a sample paper or book.

What really annoys me is that I can do the questions they ask in the revision guides and maths watch, but when it comes to questions from the companies work book or sample paper, I can barely do any of them.

I am just wondering if anyone has some good resources that can help, or any tips at all. I am fine with everything else, it's just maths.

Thanks
BobBobson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The thing with the 9-1 exams is that the questions don't spoon-feed you the methods. It expects you to figure out what to do youself in order to solve a question or to prove something. It's denoted in the mark scheme by (P1). These P1 marks can be tricky for some people who are used to doing textbook work. A few tips though:

Write down any formulae that you think may be relevant to the question. If it asks about speed, you probably need to know s = d/t, if it asks about the area of a triangle, you need to know A = 0.5bh or A = 0.5ab sin(c). See which variables it gives you in the question and plug those in, figure out which variables you can figure out yourself.

Try and model the question as an algebraic expression. This is very useful in probability question. For any variable it mentions in the question, assign it to a letter, say x or y or theta.
CraigBackner
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by charlieo44)
Ok, so I am doing the 9 - 1 ed-excel higher maths. I use revision materials such as maths watch, cgp books, and the collins 9 - 1 higher book etc. I get the concepts pretty easily when I revise something.

However, when it gets to practice question, specifically ones designed for the new exams, it is way too hard. The way the questions are asked confuses me, and I can't actually understand what they are asking for. I am having this issue, and it is very demoralizing, as I work hard and revise a topic, but can't actually do any question from a sample paper or book.

What really annoys me is that I can do the questions they ask in the revision guides and maths watch, but when it comes to questions from the companies work book or sample paper, I can barely do any of them.

I am just wondering if anyone has some good resources that can help, or any tips at all. I am fine with everything else, it's just maths.

Thanks
pratice is the key
charlieo44
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ok, thanks people
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (25)
15.82%
No one else does (54)
34.18%
I'm embarrassed about my background (17)
10.76%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (53)
33.54%
We don't use a video platform (2)
1.27%
I don't have a camera (2)
1.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.16%

Watched Threads