The Student Room Group

Budget or high end makeup?

I've always been for budget, having no money, but recently I've splashed on a higher-end brow pomade, liquid eyeliner, and lipstick. I still usually buy cheap lipsticks, but this one was a treat :tongue: Since trying high-end foundation and loose powder, I'm pretty set on those too. I just can't afford them at the moment, so I'm still using high street brands.

How about you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Budget

I rarely wear make up so I just get mine from Rimmel, Avon or even Poundland :teehee:
Reply 2
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I've always been for budget, having no money, but recently I've splashed on a higher-end brow pomade, liquid eyeliner, and lipstick. I still usually buy cheap lipsticks, but this one was a treat :tongue: Since trying high-end foundation and loose powder, I'm pretty set on those too. I just can't afford them at the moment, so I'm still using high street brands.

How about you?

Whats the best budget concealer in your opinion?
Original post by kiiten

I don't actually use concealer at the moment, so I'm not sure. I love Illamasqua's though. I find most high street concealers don't come in my shade, and they don't cover the redness on my face which is the only blemish really. I've heard really good things about Bourjois' Healthy Mix though, so that could be worth a try
I get through foundation relatively quickly so thats rimmel, but I like MAC for lipsticks which is reasonably high end. Kiko does cheap and good quality eyeshadows - I use the glitter ones as highlighter too.
Both
Reply 6
It depends for what - I've recently bought a Bobbi Brown eyeliner and eyeshadow which I was really disappointed with, they didn't stay put for very long compared to even cheap budget brands. However I love my YSL foundation and Clinique lipsticks.

Budget-wise I seriously recommend Kiko - their products really are long lasting. Although I do find their foundations a bit heavy (depends what you're into though)
I've never tried budget/drugstore makeup; I am satisfied with the 'high end' makeup I use currently. I feel weird about trying drugstore makeup bc I have sensitive skin (and eyes) and don't want to risk breaking out or skin inflammation. :redface:
Original post by pgce113
It depends for what - I've recently bought a Bobbi Brown eyeliner and eyeshadow which I was really disappointed with, they didn't stay put for very long compared to even cheap budget brands. However I love my YSL foundation and Clinique lipsticks.

Budget-wise I seriously recommend Kiko - their products really are long lasting. Although I do find their foundations a bit heavy (depends what you're into though)

I've been meaning to try Kiko! I was going to order from there, but the have a minimum amount which put me off. Next time I'm around a shop I'll definitely pop in!
Bit of both, I have more drugstore products as we don't have many high end stores near where I live so getting an accurate foundation can be difficult but would be happy with both. I really like NYX's products, a great dupe for many of the high end brands.
Reply 10
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I don't actually use concealer at the moment, so I'm not sure. I love Illamasqua's though. I find most high street concealers don't come in my shade, and they don't cover the redness on my face which is the only blemish really. I've heard really good things about Bourjois' Healthy Mix though, so that could be worth a try

Yep same here (dont have my shade) - it either looks too white or too orangey :3

I know MAC have my shade but its pretty expensive for a small bottle. Bourjois seems quite good - even though they only do 3 shades lol.
Preferably neither. :h:
High end because my mum let's me lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by kiiten

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I have tried many high end concealers, and genuinely prefer the budget ones. They tend to be a little more thick but don't feel as cakey, in my experience. They also are not greasy, which for me is a big bonus.
The two I regularly use is the Maybelline Age Rewind, and the Collection Lasting Perfection concealer (holy grail, is in itself a dupe for Maybelline's fit me concealer)
The latter is easily the best concealer I've used recently :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by 1975
I know this wasn't directed to me, but I have tried many high end concealers, and genuinely prefer the budget ones. They tend to be a little more thick but don't feel as cakey, in my experience. They also are not greasy, which for me is a big bonus.
The two I regularly use is the Maybelline Age Rewind, and the Collection Lasting Perfection concealer (holy grail, is in itself a dupe for Maybelline's fit me concealer)

Thanks and your fine - just wanted to ask someone who knows about this stuff (like you :biggrin:)

Ill check out the collection one :smile: - btw do you just wear concealer on do you wear foundation etc. too? I mean like would it look weird to just weird concealer (with eye makeup)?
Reply 15
Original post by kiiten
Thanks and your fine - just wanted to ask someone who knows about this stuff (like you :biggrin:)

Ill check out the collection one :smile: - btw do you just wear concealer on do you wear foundation etc. too? I mean like would it look weird to just weird concealer (with eye makeup)?

I was told that you had to wear something under your concealer or it would look odd so I wore BB cream (which I do love and recommend to anyone who does not wake up 30 minutes before they must leave.) Although it doesn't feel thick, I just didn't like the extra step so now I only wear concealer and I much prefer how it looks :smile: Albeit I would say to moisturise just before you apply it as it can be quite hard to blend on completely bare skin X
Rimmel does a great eyebrow pencil, otherwise high end, you can really see and feel the difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
All make up products I use can be found in Boots or Superdrug, if I had the money I'd definitely splash out on high-end foundation though
Reply 18
My skin likes high end make-up, but my budget certainly doesn't. 😩😩😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1975

I love this concealer, it's honestly so good for 4 quid. Blends really well and lasts long without looking cakey.

Quick Reply