The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century GCSE Science - B1 B2 B3 - 16th May 2017

B1B2B3 C1C2C3 P1P2P3 B4B5B6 C4C5C6 P4P5P6

Hi All
I thought it would be useful to have a thread in which we can all discuss the 2017 Science exams. We can help each other with areas of weaknesses, as well as discuss how we are feeling about the exam, etc.
Also, if you have any useful resources or predictions to share, please do as it will benefit others. If you need any resources, just ask and hopefully someone will be able to send them.
All the best with revision and the exams!

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

B1 B2 B3 is my strongest area isn't that hard really just make notes, revise them, use flashcards, do quizzes and just apply the knowledge to papers. But still 16th May 2017, I wonder what we did that day......
Any 6 marker predictions for this exam?
Feel most confident about this exam more than any others...:bigsmile:
Reply 4
Original post by Sophief2000
Feel most confident about this exam more than any others...:bigsmile:

Same, I've revised over the content so much in concurrence with past paper questions, that I now feel confident.

As long as you have revised thoroughly and you feel confident you shouldn't be afraid or nervous about the exam. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Sana K
Same, I've revised over the content so much in concurrence with past paper questions, that I now feel confident.

As long as you have revised thoroughly and you feel confident you shouldn't be afraid or nervous about the exam. Good luck :smile:

Ahh thank you, you too!!
Biology is my worst subject :frown: got a C in my mocks and need an A*. Got a mark off an A* in controlled assessment so I think I need A*s for 2 of my papers and a high A for the other :/ wish me luck and good luck to everyone xx
any predictions??/
Reply 8
Don't know how helpful this is with the B123 exam only two days away but ive been through the specification and compared it to questions from the last 4 years papers (2016-2013).

Things that haven't come up in any great depth over the past four years:
B1.1.3 structural and functional proteins (just learn an example for each tbh)
B1.2.2 chromosomes in a pair carry the same gene in the same place (will probs be a tickbox question)

B2.1.3 calculating population growth
B2.2.8 superbugs/ resisitance to antibiotics
B2.3.12 UK vs developing/less industrial countries and heart disease (interpreting data question most likely)
B2.3.13 epidemiological studies

B3.1.3 Adaptation (possible six marker i'd say)
B3.1.12 energy transfer in an eco system (calculation question?)
B3.3.2 Lamarck's theory

Things that haven't come up properly in the last two years (2016 and 2015):
B1.2.11 Punnet squares (genetic diagrams have come up)
B1.3.3 Huntigton's and cystic fibrosis (LEARN SYMPTOMS AND THAT I THINK THIS'LL COME UP)
B1.3.6c genetic testing before prescribing drugs
B1.4.3 cloning in plants (natural: runners and bulb, artificial: cuttings)
B1.4.5 stem cells

B2.2.1 vaccinations (i think herd immunity might come up)

B3.1.19 Carbon cycle
B3.2.7 natural selection vs selective breeding
B3.3.5 biodiversity
B3.3.10 packaging and effects on environment

i would suggest revising these topic thoroughly but REVISE EVERYTHING ELSE TOO e.g. heart disease comes up in basically every paper that doesnt mean it wont come up on tuesday!!
hope this is helpful and good luck!
Original post by jazi1904
Don't know how helpful this is with the B123 exam only two days away but ive been through the specification and compared it to questions from the last 4 years papers (2016-2013).

B1.2.2 chromosomes in a pair carry the same gene in the same place (will probs be a tickbox question)

B2.3.12 UK vs developing/less industrial countries and heart disease (interpreting data question most likely)

B3.3.2 Lamarck's theory

B1.3.3 Huntigton's and cystic fibrosis (LEARN SYMPTOMS AND THAT I THINK THIS'LL COME UP)
B1.4.5 stem cells

B3.1.19 Carbon cycle
B3.3.5 biodiversity

i would suggest revising these topic thoroughly but REVISE EVERYTHING ELSE TOO e.g. heart disease comes up in basically every paper that doesnt mean it wont come up on tuesday!!

thank you so much you absolute angel! will be sure to look at this thoroughly after my RS exam tomorrow. good luck to you too xx

B3.3.2 Lamarck's theory

B1.4.5 stem cells

B3.1.19 Carbon cycle
B3.3.5 biodiversity

Not to say Punnet squares will not come up, but I recall a question early on in the 2015 paper that considered probability of passing on a genetic disorder given the genotypes of the two parents. Nevertheless, I can certainly see adaption coming up as a six marker, and possibly a regurgitated question on heart disease!

B3.3.2 Lamarck's theory

B1.4.5 stem cells

B3.1.19 Carbon cycle
B3.3.5 biodiversity

To what depth, if at all, do you think they will assess us on the sustainability of packaging? 3/4 marker, or worse yet, a 6 marker? What would be the top band knowledge of sustainability that will discriminate between different abilities?
Reply 12

B3.3.2 Lamarck's theory

B1.4.5 stem cells

B3.1.19 Carbon cycle
B3.3.5 biodiversity

Wow thanks this is helpful
Original post by CandidateZero
Not to say Punnet squares will not come up, but I recall a question early on in the 2015 paper that considered probability of passing on a genetic disorder given the genotypes of the two parents. Nevertheless, I can certainly see adaption coming up as a six marker, and possibly a regurgitated question on heart disease!

yes ive just checked and youre right sorry!
there seem to be a lot of questions about heart disease it's quite likely they'll bring that up again - there's a lot to say
Yes. Just did a past paper and aced it. 58/60.
To what depth, if at all, do you think they will assess us on the sustainability of packaging? 3/4 marker, or worse yet, a 6 marker? What would be the top band knowledge of sustainability that will discriminate between different abilities?

it seems more of a data type question, no? i'd say they'll use a Life Cycle Assessment-esque question but i'm not sure if that's too linked to chemistry to be included. that would be 3/4 marks probably
if it's a 6 marker then it will most likely be part of a bigger questions like "Explain how sustainability can be maintained and why this is important", where you can mention biodiversity as well as pollution

B3.3.2 Lamarck's theory

B1.4.5 stem cells

B3.1.19 Carbon cycle
B3.3.5 biodiversity

Thank you so much!!!!!!!

when you say adaptation do you mean like natural selection and speciation? sorry biology is my worst subject lol
Original post by nish2910
when you say adaptation do you mean like natural selection and speciation? sorry biology is my worst subject lol

Yeah, adaption in terms of spontaneous mutations which are selected by natural selection if aiding survival (and eventually, the characteristic will occur in a large proportion of a species that have now adapted).
Original post by nish2910

Adaptation = more suited to the environment = more likely to survive in said environment = more likely to reproduce and produce fertile offspring because they have a better chance of survival = will pass on the genes for this desirable characteristic for survival = over time, a greater proportion of population will have said gene = thus this species is more adapted to their said environment. This is effectively natural selection, as over time, the desirable gene is selected as animals with said gene will survive and pass on their genes.

Speciation can be caused by environmental change, mutations in DNA molecules in the sex cells, natural selection and reproductive isolation (also females only look for a specific characteristic within the males in the species that they can reproduce with.
More importantly, environmental change and reproductive isolation leads to speciation. If a population (species) is split into two groups, where each group is living in a different environment. Over time, the animals in the different environment will become better adapted and suited to their environment, so they will pass on these genes. By reproducing in isolation, it means that the different groups will only pass on specific DNA and genes, and eventually the genes in the two groups will be so different that they cannot reproduce because their genes are incompatible. Therefore, speciation has occurred because a new species has been formed.
Also, all of the factors above that cause speciation lead to evolution in organisms, which is the gradual change in organisms over time.

Quick Reply

Latest