The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century GCSE Science - P1 P2 P3 - 24th May 2017

B1B2B3 C1C2C3 P1P2P3 B4B5B6 C4C5C6 P4P5P6

Hi All
I thought it would be useful to have a thread in which we can all discuss the 2017 Science exams. We can help each other with areas of weaknesses, as well as discuss how we are feeling about the exam, etc.
Also, if you have any useful resources or predictions to share, please do as it will benefit others. If you need any resources, just ask and hopefully someone will be able to send them.
All the best with revision and the exams!

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emmy_Girl

B1B2B3 C1C2C3 P1P2P3 B4B5B6 C4C5C6 P4P5P6

Hi All
I thought it would be useful to have a thread in which we can all discuss the 2017 Science exams. We can help each other with areas of weaknesses, as well as discuss how we are feeling about the exam, etc.
Also, if you have any useful resources or predictions to share, please do as it will benefit others. If you need any resources, just ask and hopefully someone will be able to send them.
All the best with revision and the exams!

I have a revision guide that is really helpful and summarises the content very well
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Science-Additional-21st-Century/dp/0007416091/ref=pd_cp_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VQH4QJDCQWKTTA85HAWG
Has anyone got any predictions for 6 markers?
Reply 3

Yes, that revision guide is really detailed and useful. However, as my teacher has said, it does not explain some areas very well, so make sure if you are not understanding some areas, don't just rely on the revision guides, ask for help!
Reply 4
Original post by SophieJessica
Has anyone got any predictions for 6 markers?

My teacher hasn't really mentioned any predictions for P1 P2 P3 yet, but if he does, I'll remember to post it on this thread. I'm going to see if I can come up with my own predictions when I get the time. It's probably something they haven't done for a while, or at all.
I would recommend giving every single 6 mark question a try, as there is only so much they can test - who knows, it might just come up for the actual thing!
Original post by Emmy_Girl
My teacher hasn't really mentioned any predictions for P1 P2 P3 yet, but if he does, I'll remember to post it on this thread. I'm going to see if I can come up with my own predictions when I get the time. It's probably something they haven't done for a while, or at all.
I would recommend giving every single 6 mark question a try, as there is only so much they can test - who knows, it might just come up for the actual thing!

that would be great if you have any predictions :smile:
Yes please, any predictions for this?
I'd like to say the following have a likely chance of coming up:

P1: Similarities and differences in astronomical objects, possibly with reference to supplied (quantitative) data; Wegener's theory of continental drift or methods of measuring astronomical distance (and in the case of redshift, recession velocity) and specific detail about the fundamental properties of waves (amplitude in terms of energy, frequency in terms of number of cycles per second), possibly discriminating S-waves from P-waves

P2: Linking the inversely proportional relationship of wavelength and frequency on the electromagnetic radiation scale; dangers and risks of electromagnetic radiation and electromagnetic radiation in association with communication

P3: Producing electricity in a power station (specifically, the detail of rotating a magnet within a coil of wire AND how the induced voltage may be increased); a question comparing the energy output of different resources of energy and quantitative analysis of such; possibly a scenario demanding arguments for and against the sustainability of a given source of power, with reference to alternative sources of power.
has anyone done the jan 2012 paper as i don't get Q3 at all, especially the last bit about whether the ball will go the other side of the lake. it says it won't because the waves are transverse so the balls will only move up and down as the particles move up and down, and that waves transfer energy and not matter. but i thought transverse waves were S-waves so they're only on solids, not in the water??
Original post by CandidateZero
I'd like to say the following have a likely chance of coming up:

P1: Similarities and differences in astronomical objects, possibly with reference to supplied (quantitative) data; Wegener's theory of continental drift or methods of measuring astronomical distance (and in the case of redshift, recession velocity) and specific detail about the fundamental properties of waves (amplitude in terms of energy, frequency in terms of number of cycles per second), possibly discriminating S-waves from P-waves

P2: Linking the inversely proportional relationship of wavelength and frequency on the electromagnetic radiation scale; dangers and risks of electromagnetic radiation and electromagnetic radiation in association with communication

P3: Producing electricity in a power station (specifically, the detail of rotating a magnet within a coil of wire AND how the induced voltage may be increased); a question comparing the energy output of different resources of energy and quantitative analysis of such; possibly a scenario demanding arguments for and against the sustainability of a given source of power, with reference to alternative sources of power.

Thank you so much!
Original post by nish2910
has anyone done the jan 2012 paper as i don't get Q3 at all, especially the last bit about whether the ball will go the other side of the lake. it says it won't because the waves are transverse so the balls will only move up and down as the particles move up and down, and that waves transfer energy and not matter. but i thought transverse waves were S-waves so they're only on solids, not in the water??

The main idea in that question, is that all waves only transfer energy and they DO NOT transfer matter. As a result of that, the particles and matter will only move up and down. Also, the property of the waves is that they have a transverse motion; they are not transverse, their motion is.
Original post by TheMightyBadger
The main idea in that question, is that all waves only transfer energy and they DO NOT transfer matter. As a result of that, the particles and matter will only move up and down. Also, the property of the waves is that they have a transverse motion; they are not transverse, their motion is.

Also, S-waves are a single form of transverse wave - they are the secondary waves that are the result of a side-to-side grinding of rocks, resulting from the movement of tectonic plates. The misconception of the OP is that water waves are S-waves, and every transverse wave is an S-wave, which we know to not be true.
thanks guys - does it say on the spec we need to know water waves are transverse
thanks guys - does it say on the spec we need to know water waves are transverse

I believe not, although the CGP revision guide details the different types of waves (e.g. transverse as water, (some) seismic; longitudinal as sound, (some) seismic). You must, however, understand the principal differences between transverse and longitudinal waves, in which you would refer to the vibrations in the same or 90 degrees to the motion of a wave.
I believe not, although the CGP revision guide details the different types of waves (e.g. transverse as water, (some) seismic; longitudinal as sound, (some) seismic). You must, however, understand the principal differences between transverse and longitudinal waves, in which you would refer to the vibrations in the same or 90 degrees to the motion of a wave.

okay - i'm revising what it says on the spec but as you can probs tell i'm really bad at applying knowledge in physics. any advice as to how to revise or is it too late now x
okay - i'm revising what it says on the spec but as you can probs tell i'm really bad at applying knowledge in physics. any advice as to how to revise or is it too late now x

It's certainly not too late! Sift through the specification, and complete a past paper to practice application. Use the mark scheme to identify any of your weaknesses. Good luck :smile:
It's certainly not too late! Sift through the specification, and complete a past paper to practice application. Use the mark scheme to identify any of your weaknesses. Good luck :smile:

thanks so much :smile: just did a paper and going to keep going over my notes. i need an A* but im just so bad aha. luckily i've got my controlled assessment which will hopefully bring it up! weirdly i find p1-5 the hardest and 6 and 7 slightly easier. physics will be the death of me!! it's ironic bc both my parents did physics at uni and i'm indian lol
Reply 17
I am so nervous for tomorrow.. 3 exams and physics is one of them! :frown:
Original post by adam.00
I am so nervous for tomorrow.. 3 exams and physics is one of them! :frown:

omg what are they? :redface: my worst is c456 and then history
So....exam now done. I thought it was a hard paper, but I think it went quite well. Was glad to see lots of maths and practically zero ideas about science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending