The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Medical students do have lives as they may be classified as living organisms (lol)
Reply 2
*doesn't know where to start*
Reply 3
:eek2:
Reply 4
vrron
where is your medical school situated?

Isla Nublar: 120 miles west of Costa Rica
Reply 5
I need to ask you a question.

Anyway, my friend is in the 11th grade, High School in the UK. She will be trying to apply for some UK Medical College/University in 2 years.
Right now, she has the opportunity to pick up some after-school activities that she wants to attend to. The thing is: what kind of activities might help her in the future when applying by UCAS? You know, mentioned in the Personal Statement to help her getting admitted to some MEDICINE college.

I hope you got my question right.

Thanks a lot.
Reply 6
Artemidoros
Medical students do have lives as they may be classified as living organisms

:laugh:

You caught us out, OP. It's true, we have no life :getmecoat
:p:
Reply 7
Guys, I seriously need this information, help me, please. Thanks
Reply 8
Jasiu
Guys, I seriously need this information, help me, please. Thanks

There have been several threads on this previously. Try searching for 'Voluntary work' 'Work experience' etc in this forum and I'm sure you'll find lots of information.
Basically, she should do the activities she will enjoy, rather than doing it for the application.
Reply 9
Jasiu
I need to ask you a question.

Anyway, my friend is in the 11th grade, High School in the UK. She will be trying to apply for some UK Medical College/University in 2 years.
Right now, she has the opportunity to pick up some after-school activities that she wants to attend to. The thing is: what kind of activities might help her in the future when applying by UCAS? You know, mentioned in the Personal Statement to help her getting admitted to some MEDICINE college.

I hope you got my question right.

Thanks a lot.

Things which show team work are always good but in general she should just go for things that she finds interesting as that will show through more than anything and she will me more likely to stick at it.
i'm a lazy cow... does that answer your question??

p.s. i did actually make it to 2nd year, i'm just too lazy to change my sig.....
Reply 11
medical students vary obviously.

some work every living moment and feel guilty if they aren't working. Others barely work at all... then they fail and have to revise over the summer for retakes. But most of us are somewhere in between.
I understand medicine is a pass/fail course, do you need to get 40% in every exam to pass or is it more? Could you get 40% overall after 5 years and still qualify? lol serious question
Reply 13
Most med schools have a higher pass mark tbh, for us it was 50% in the first 2 years. In the final 3 years it has been based on standard deviations - which in practice has meant around a 65% pass mark in OSCEs (clinical skills exams) and >60% in written exams. (that's at manchester)

As for doing the bare minimum, yes it is possible to qualify having only achieved the minimum pass mark - though with academic ranking systems it will mean that you will usually be towards the bottom, thus getting minimum points. And since academic score is currently about 50% of the marks on the FTAS job matching system, it will probably disadvantage your job application (especially if applying to popular areas)
Reply 14
We had to get at least 50% in all our assignments and exams to pass the year (first). With resits, you could only score 50% in the exam, and assignments etc don't count in those cases.

Also, the marks transcript we got for the subject panels came with a note that said it needs to be kept safely, since it will 'most certainly be needed when applying for a job'.
I presume your application wouldn't be too impressive if you had the bare minimum in every panel!
Reply 15
All our exams marks are adjusted to fit into a 50%-pass, 60%-Good pass, 70%-Excellent kinda system. They say 65% is a respectable score in any given exam but I almost never get it (I either get seventies or fifties, but average at 65% putting me exactly on the median of the year). Mmmm, averageness.
Reply 16
Medical students have THE best societies, THE best parties/balls and THE best social life!!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Mitch87
Medical students have THE best societies, THE best parties/balls and THE best social life!!!!! :biggrin:

i've heard that seems to be the trend across most universities. can't wait to go now (assuming I get in.)
Reply 18
Mitch87
heh, if you say so.:rolleyes:
Saffie
heh, if you say so.:rolleyes:
I'd be hard pressed to find one which competes at my uni. One of my house mates is a bio student and they seriously do NOTHING as a group. We go for dinners, have parties, have holidays, etc, and they merely go to the same lectures as each other.

That's not to say we have more of a life though. We probably have less time to spend living it. It just comes down to what you do with that time.

Latest

Trending

Trending